collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113396 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6000 on: September 13, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »
The issue is not Bruce out but who in. If there was a stand out candidate 110% sure he would have gone by now

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #6001 on: September 13, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
Using Brighton's stats from 16/17, we needed at least 8 points from the first 6 games ( Bruce failed this target) and at least 21 points from the first 11 games ( Bruce can't possibly reach this target now after boro result) to just be in the mix for auto promotion. Our chances of auto promotion under bruce are effectively over! For me I was prepared to give Bruce 6 games only after last season when he failed to get us in the playoffs and had at least 3 disastrous months (Jan/Feb and after the Burton away match). We are in catch-up mode already after 7 games, which Bruce is incapable of (see last season). The sooner a change is made the sooner someone new can attempt the catch-up for auto promotion or failing that achieve the play-offs. Waiting till game 10/11 is too late. I hate changing managers but Bruce has been consistent in being ineffective and after all is said and done I just want the best for AVFC.

Yep can't disagree with any of that

The total lack of willingness to provide entertaining football with attacking intent means he should go

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #6002 on: September 13, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
I can't watch or listen to his comments anymore, since Norwich he's taking quite a strange stance towards the supporters who pay good money and investment of time. He needs to have them onside but he seems to be against them at the moment.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #6003 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
Change now with four easier fixtures coming up rather than throwing a new manager in with more difficult fixtures and local derby games straight off. At least give a new manager a bit of breathing space, rather than high pressure must win games.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6004 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
I can't watch or listen to his comments anymore, since Norwich he's taking quite a strange stance towards the supporters who pay good money and investment of time. He needs to have them onside but he seems to be against them at the moment.

His comments are gibberish and delusional at best. Yes we missed chances last night but we wouldn't be relying on converting the 2 or 3 we create if we attacked more and tried to impose ourselves. Especially when for 60 min or so we had an extra man. I was saying to my brother last night that it was like that episode of the Simpsons where they are at a football match and the commentators are bored to tears by all the sideways passing. That's us.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6005 on: September 13, 2017, 08:29:23 AM »
The owner will decide not KW, I will admit that I was wrong about SB I thought he would be good for us in this division but could see him struggling once we were promoted. I am beginning to believe Villa Park is Jinxed.

I said similar to my brother last night on the way home, seemingly everything we do goes wrong. New players, managers and owners and we just seem to get steadily worse.

Bruce must be on the thinnest of thin ice at the moment and I just hope that the club has a plan in place for his successor.

Chris I'm hard pressed to name a player that Bruce has bought in that has made a positive contribution, maybe the keeper but he is on loan. I'm thinking a Villa Park cleansing to drive the demons out, might help.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #6006 on: September 13, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »

His comments are gibberish and delusional at best. Yes we missed chances last night but we wouldn't be relying on converting the 2 or 3 we create if we attacked more and tried to impose ourselves. Especially when for 60 min or so we had an extra man. I was saying to my brother last night that it was like that episode of the Simpsons where they are at a football match and the commentators are bored to tears by all the sideways passing. That's us.

Glad to see you survived your arctic expedition, Toronto. ;-)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6007 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »

Glad to see you survived your arctic expedition, Toronto. ;-)

It was a bit nippy last Chris. I was hoping for a bit more on the pitch to warm my cockles, but Steve Bland as manager it was actually a bit much.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6008 on: September 13, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
Whoever takes his place, all I hope for is somebody with a reasonable level of intelligence.  The very basic statistic he needs to take on board is that a win gets you three times as many points as a draw.  There is a famous line in Moneyball when Peter Brandt tells Bobby Beane that he has to buy wins not players.  We need wins to get promoted.  In the days when the league was dominated by Liverpool, two points for a win and one for a draw made the mathematics very simple.  Keeping goals out was statistically as important as scoring them.  Now the fulcrum of success has moved, making winning three times more important than drawing.  That change was made deliberately to foster attacking, entertaining football and it worked.  Play to win and the mathematical laws of probability will favour progress up the table.  Play not to lose and the odds favour your standing still or decline.

Please let's have a manager who thinks about how we are to progress, not one who makes it up as he goes along.  That's all I ask.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6009 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
I reckon Alardyce is already lined up to replace him
just a hunch listening to him on sky the other night

it's not who i want but it would be an easy/lazy change to make

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #6010 on: September 13, 2017, 08:55:05 AM »
Has he gone yet?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #6011 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »

Yeah, him or Moyes.  Gulp.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #6012 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »

I thought that too

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #6013 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
Hasn't Allardyce retired?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6014 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
Allardyce would almost certainly be better, but for God's sake it would be nice if we tried something different. Or is Tony Xia the first international owner who's really keen on the more eye-bleedingly dull traditions of English football?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal