collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114836 times)

Offline Allan C

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5775 on: September 10, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
This is what I don't understand, surely even he knows that if he has a poor September he will be sacked. So why set us up at home to Brentford like the away side and let them dictate the game? I'd have a go and think I'm going to go down fighting at least. Throw the shackles off and play some attacking football for christ sake. Surely he also realises that his negative, cowardly football isn't going to get the fans on his side?
He doesn't do it because it just not in his make up to do so.
I said in the close season that we need to get rid in the summer in readiness for the new season because this bloke was not going to undergo some sort of footballing epiphany and come back reborn as a forward thinking, progressive manager.

What we saw last season is what we will get this season.

This is as good as it gets.
Absolutely 100% my thoughts and the way I felt the day he took over

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5776 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:45 PM »
This is what I don't understand, surely even he knows that if he has a poor September he will be sacked. So why set us up at home to Brentford like the away side and let them dictate the game? I'd have a go and think I'm going to go down fighting at least. Throw the shackles off and play some attacking football for christ sake. Surely he also realises that his negative, cowardly football isn't going to get the fans on his side?
I said in the close season that we need to get rid in the summer in readiness for the new season because this bloke was not going to undergo some sort of footballing epiphany and come back reborn as a forward thinking, progressive manager.

Spot on.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #5777 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »

Spot on.

Same. The deal was "Bruce's teams play turgid football but he gets them promoted from the Championship". He has not lived up to the promotion part, he couldnt even manage top half with the most expensive team in the leagues history. He is a smart likeable guy but really he knows the risk of playing crap football, you get no goodwill from the fans when results dont go your way.  Time to move on to someone who hasnt peaked as Bruce clearly has. He isnt going to get better so we owe him a years salary to get rid. No hard feelings, we made a deal that was meant to be a "safe" choice. It wasnt. We need to move on now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5778 on: September 10, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
Turn it around and what are the reasons for keeping Bruce?
Please see the list below:
I think that's enough or you want me to go on?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5779 on: September 10, 2017, 11:31:38 PM »
My main reason for keeping Bruce can be seen on the 'who do you want' thread.

He's obviously on very limited time but I'd be more optimistic if there were really good candidates available and / or if we could spend any money

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5780 on: September 11, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »
There are plenty of fans that will take a win no matter the lack of direction. Maybe they're new fans or have no idea how football works but in the end we're still left with a club, a team that haven't a clue. I watched the highlights and then the interview with the new Leeds manager. Even googling him left me wondering who the hell he is. His lucky strike was inheriting a team that know what they're doing. No money, selling their star player(s) but bloody hell they seem to know what they're doing.

There were loonies on here writing off little Huddersfield this time last season. They failed to realise how important it is to have a plan. A manager that knows his arse from his elbow. Of course we battered them (no laughing at the back) though the points tally was not so sympathetic, we couldn't come close to matching their intelligent approach. But let's not forget, Wagner took over when they were 19th and they finished the season 19th. But you do have to wonder why they sold a record number of season tickets last year. Maybe, just maybe, they could see what he was trying to achieve.

This season they're playing in "the big league". They may fail and it will be no surprise, even tin pot clubs like the Baggies have money to throw around. We on the other hand have thrown our money around and are right back to where we started. We need to get smart. Either we go up strong or we become a yo-yo team. My only worry is we've left it too late. Bruce should have gone in May. He was only going to build a house on quicksand and then we were relying on his replacement (assuming we weren't so stupid to keep him) to keep us up and kick on.

Right now, I'd take another season in the piss pot league but go up with a fully fueled "Villa Engine" than wait around for Bruce to understand where the hand crank is and how it works. Delusions of grandeur? Piss off.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:27:59 AM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5781 on: September 11, 2017, 05:03:27 AM »
Hopefully Tony had a chat with Dean Smith

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5782 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »
There are plenty of fans that will take a win no matter the lack of direction. Maybe they're new fans or have no idea how football works but in the end we're still left with a club, a team that haven't a clue. I watched the highlights and then the interview with the new Leeds manager. Even googling him left me wondering who the hell he is. His lucky strike was inheriting a team that know what they're doing. No money, selling their star player(s) but bloody hell they seem to know what they're doing.

There were loonies on here writing off little Huddersfield this time last season. They failed to realise how important it is to have a plan. A manager that knows his arse from his elbow. Of course we battered them (no laughing at the back) though the points tally was not so sympathetic, we couldn't come close to matching their intelligent approach. But let's not forget, Wagner took over when they were 19th and they finished the season 19th. But you do have to wonder why they sold a record number of season tickets last year. Maybe, just maybe, they could see what he was trying to achieve.

This season they're playing in "the big league". They may fail and it will be no surprise, even tin pot clubs like the Baggies have money to throw around. We on the other hand have thrown our money around and are right back to where we started. We need to get smart. Either we go up strong or we become a yo-yo team. My only worry is we've left it too late. Bruce should have gone in May. He was only going to build a house on quicksand and then we were relying on his replacement (assuming we weren't so stupid to keep him) to keep us up and kick on.

Right now, I'd take another season in the piss pot league but go up with a fully fueled "Villa Engine" than wait around for Bruce to understand where the hand crank is and how it works. Delusions of grandeur? Piss off.

Agree with you 100% and your final summing up is the way we must go forward.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5783 on: September 11, 2017, 08:08:29 AM »
Another season in the 2nd Division over promotion?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5784 on: September 11, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
My main reason for keeping Bruce can be seen on the 'who do you want' thread.

He's obviously on very limited time but I'd be more optimistic if there were really good candidates available and / or if we could spend any money
Well that comes down to the "football people" employed at the club to find someone who can take the club onward and upward. Just look at Huddersfield and Bournemouth. They both managed to find a gem.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5785 on: September 11, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
I agree to an extent

But I just don't have have a confidence that we'll find a diamond - most clubs don't. Indeed, I suspect Bournemouth and Huddersfield kissed a few frogs before they got lucky and there's just no tolerance for the experimental unknown at our club unless they absolutely hit the ground running

I do feel that someone who can come on and prioritise energy, belief, a high press may be the way to go. But I don't know who. And this time last year I thought it was obvious that after years of trying up and coming young managers we go for someone with a lot more dependable experience

I agree that we should expect better - there's a good argument we've gone backwards this season. But that thread is about 50 pages long and the only manager I'm excited about is jokanovic and I can't see him coming unless there's a major fallout at Fulham

People are seriously talking about Brendan rogers, thomas tuchel, etc

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #5786 on: September 11, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
If hes got a similar points tally to RDM by the end of the month there is absolutely no way he can stay. RDM didn't have the luxury of most of the previous season and 2 full windows to get things moving in the right direction. If the next 2 matches are a disaster I wouldn't even see the point of hanging on till the end of the month, you can fill in the blanks till then.
We will just have to try something else, it's getting to the point where we cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel, and we should do at the very least by now.

Edit: I do think in terms of points tally at the end of last season he didn't do a bad job, and we know that when Kodjia and Jedinak are back we'll do a bit better, but firstly we have to make our judgment on the way this season is going and how it looks like it's going to end up (i.e. Probably mid table) and secondly we cannot rely on only being decent when our 2 best players are fit, this is meant to be a promotion push, not a grab for points to keep us up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:11:48 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #5787 on: September 11, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Not defending RDM or saying he was great by any means but you could at least sort of see what he was trying to do. We were actually getting into good positions in some games aswell but lapses in concentration late on cost us several times. With Bruce we aren't even getting close to being in winning positions, especially away from home.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #5788 on: September 11, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Oh great. Now even RDM was better than Bruce

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5789 on: September 11, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
Oh great. Now even RDM was better than Bruce

close your eyes and open the telephone directory at any random page, point your finger down anywhere on that page open your eyes  and that is the name of the person who is better than Bruce

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal