collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113576 times)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5490 on: September 08, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Just watching his press conference, the man is delusional.  "One bad half against Cardiff". My arse.

H e can talk all he likes , points make prizes !

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5491 on: September 08, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
Just watching his press conference, the man is delusional.  "One bad half against Cardiff". My arse.

Surely it is part of a manager's job to keep confidence levels up, what would be the point of him running the performances down? I have never understood the need to analyse these things, managers are fulfilling contractual obligations and trying to keep them upbeat and optimistic has to be the best course of action the day before the game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5492 on: September 08, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »

Surely it is part of a manager's job to keep confidence levels up, what would be the point of him running the performances down? I have never understood the need to analyse these things, managers are fulfilling contractual obligations and trying to keep them upbeat and optimistic has to be the best course of action the day before the game.

I agree with that. However poor they are you can't slaughter them every week, especially not in public. I would say part of management is to sometimes put a positive spin on things and sometimes dish out the stick.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5493 on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
On the other side of the coin, it could make players feel that substandard performances are acceptable.

Realistically though, I wouldn't expect players to take much notice of what he says in interviews. They hear his thoughts in the dressing room and at the training ground anyway.

I understand that these interviews are a contractual obligation, but if they do serve a purpose, it's to communicate with the fans. We don't get to hear what's said behind closed doors.

He should perhaps be more mindful of what he says in them. Not so much in this instance but when he is dismissing nearly a season's worth of disappointment under his stewardship as the meanderings of "idiots", he risks alienating fans. O'Leary wasn't the worst manager we had, in terms of results, but may well have been the most hated. That was largely down to his conduct when somebody shoved a microphone in front of him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5494 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »

I often improve the morale of the team I manage by reminding them, in very serious tone, of the times they performed poorly.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #5495 on: September 08, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »

He should perhaps be more mindful of what he says in them. Not so much in this instance but when he is dismissing nearly a season's worth of disappointment under his stewardship as the meanderings of "idiots", he risks alienating fans. O'Leary wasn't the worst manager we had, in terms of results, but may well have been the most hated. That was largely down to his conduct when somebody shoved a microphone in front of him.

Sugarbag.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5496 on: September 08, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »

If the players are mentally weak enough to need the manager to do that then they're probably too weak to cope with the pressure of challenging for automatic promotion.

I don't disagree that sometimes putting the positive spin on things is the right thing to do (after the Hull game for example) but anyone who was involved in or watched that Cardiff game knows that it was an absolute hammering that was totally unacceptable, if he needs to mention it then it should be that it serves as a wake up call to the entire club that we have to keep improving and not let ourselves be embarrassed like that again.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5497 on: September 08, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »

I often improve the morale of the team I manage by reminding them, in very serious tone, of the times they performed poorly.

When you're speaking to your customers, do you insult their intelligence by pretending that something that has just gone badly has actually gone OK?

Offline Ads

« Reply #5498 on: September 08, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

When you're speaking to your customers, do you insult their intelligence by pretending that something that has just gone badly has actually gone OK?

Yes, when I'm speaking to my client's I look to impress them by reminding them exactly how poorly we have done. Goes down really well that.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5499 on: September 08, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
When I'm speaking to customers after a server crash which has cost them hours without the system and lost work I regularly tell them that it was only a problem for a few minutes and was just bad luck.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #5500 on: September 08, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

Clients, not "customers", we are a profession, I'll have you know ;-)

Offline Ads

« Reply #5501 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
When I'm speaking to customers after a server crash which has cost them hours without the system and lost work I regularly tell them that it was only a problem for a few minutes turning it off and on again didn't work and that they should have paid for additional software, so ultimately, its their fault, but we will let them off.

Never apologize, never admit fault, but then I work in an industry where you get it wrong, you lose your career and where my client base is not captive.

Castigating professional adults is idiotic. They know they've fucked up, you explain it, you discuss improvements and you gee them up so they don't dwell and spiral. Learn from defeat, don't wallow in it.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5502 on: September 08, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »
When I'm speaking to customers after a server crash which has cost them hours without the system and lost work I regularly tell them that it was only a problem for a few minutes turning it off and on again didn't work and that they should have paid for additional software, so ultimately, its their fault, but we will let them off.

Never apologize, never admit fault, but then I work in an industry where you get it wrong, you lose your career and where my client base is not captive.

Castigating professional adults is idiotic. They know they've fucked up, you explain it, you discuss improvements and you gee them up so they don't dwell and spiral. Learn from defeat, don't wallow in it.

The stupid edit aside (he works in IT he probably just turns things off and on, hurr hurr), "never apologise, never admit fault" is a really out of date attitude in most professions and particularly in anything customer service/comms related which is what these press briefings really are.  If you fuck up own it and learn from it, don't try to bullshit around it if there is evidence to prove you wrong.  You find plenty of examples where taking blame and then doing something about it is far more effective than trying to sweep it away.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5503 on: September 08, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »

Yes, when I'm speaking to my client's I look to impress them by reminding them exactly how poorly we have done. Goes down really well that.

Well, there's more chance that they'll be impressed by that than your grammar! ;)

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #5504 on: September 08, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »

To be fair though Ads, most people's work does not involve thousands of people watching with their own eyes and many more being able to watch on TV / online.  I think you can admit things haven't gone well without castigating people. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal