collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113087 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5460 on: September 04, 2017, 09:14:34 PM »
Baker is anything but adequate.

So, do you mean more than adequate or less than adequate?

Not telling. It's a secret.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5461 on: September 04, 2017, 11:05:54 PM »
For too long the answer to bloody everything at this club has been cash. Whether it is that Lerner isn't spending enough or Xia needs to keep spending. The answer too often is money. Rather than planning, philosophy and organisation.

That is the issue. Somewhere along the line we need to work out who we want to be rather than bung a few bob at it and hope for the best.

Nail on head once again, Mr Chelts.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5462 on: September 04, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »
For too long the answer to bloody everything at this club has been cash. Whether it is that Lerner isn't spending enough or Xia needs to keep spending. The answer too often is money. Rather than planning, philosophy and organisation.

That is the issue. Somewhere along the line we need to work out who we want to be rather than bung a few bob at it and hope for the best.

I agree completely, it's why the "we'll worry about how we play when we're xyz" and "1 team for promotion, 1 to stay up and 1 to push on" things annoy me so much.  That's the short-term route of trying to buy your way around everything.  When Xia came in and there was talk about developing the area around the ground and developing a culture it was exactly what I wanted to hear but everything since suggests that we're making all the same mistakes that Lerner made, the difference was at the time we had a manager who was, for all his faults, good at setting up a counter-attacking team.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5463 on: September 05, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
I rate Hogan.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5464 on: September 05, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
I rate Hogan.

Me too, but as I've said before I think we'll only get value out of him if we can get players around him.  If he's isolated 20-30 yards away from the rest of the team he provides nothing.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #5465 on: September 05, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
I think he would have signed Hogan regardless of the bad spell we had. He did say he'd been watching him for a while.

I think he would have been right to do so as well. Membership is low here in the Hogan fanclub but I think this season he will win over a lot of people. As Chelts notes this is assuming he is played correctly of course.

Think when he has been on the pitch Hogan has been pretty bright, always moving and desperate for ball on the deck to use, too much ball is aimed at his head - square pegs round holes!
You mean Nathan Baker? - apart from against Brighton last season, his headers always seemed to ricochet off one of the corners of his square head.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5466 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »

I agree completely, it's why the "we'll worry about how we play when we're xyz" and "1 team for promotion, 1 to stay up and 1 to push on" things annoy me so much.  That's the short-term route of trying to buy your way around everything.  When Xia came in and there was talk about developing the area around the ground and developing a culture it was exactly what I wanted to hear but everything since suggests that we're making all the same mistakes that Lerner made, the difference was at the time we had a manager who was, for all his faults, good at setting up a counter-attacking team.

I am persona non grata with Wyness for pointing out that that is a hair brained plan.

Offline Ads

« Reply #5467 on: September 05, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
It depends if you take him literally, that next season we will buy an entire new tram.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #5468 on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
It depends if you take him literally, that next season we will buy an entire new tram.

I hope we don't go down that track.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5469 on: September 05, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »

I questioned it. It is exactly what we intend to do.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5470 on: September 05, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »

If we get promoted we'll almost certainly need to replace (for various reasons) Johnstone, Terry, Elmo, Onomah, Jedinak, Whelan, Samba, Adomah and Snodgrass so 9 signings, not far from being an entire new team.  On top of that we'll still have Gabby, Hutton, Bunn and McCormack in the squad and none of them are premier league standard either and, finally, there's still question marks over Hogan, Lansbury, Bjarnason and a few of the kids.

That's why get promoted then worry about staying up is such a dangerous strategy.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5471 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
There can't be many examples of a team getting promoted and then replacing the side in one go. We've seen how hard it is to buy a new team in one go

I'm dubious that's really the plan

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5472 on: September 05, 2017, 08:52:41 PM »
There can't be many examples of a team getting promoted and then replacing the side in one go. We've seen how hard it is to buy a new team in one go

I agree and I expect FFP would also constrain us from replacing virtually the whole team.  There is a lot of money with gaining promotion but not that much.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5473 on: September 05, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »

I doubt we will either. Not the whole team anyway.

Offline Ads

« Reply #5474 on: September 05, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »
Me too. I imagine the spine will be strengthened but Kodjia, Chester, Jedinak, Taylor etc wluld still feature.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal