collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2123482 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5445 on: September 02, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »
How many games do you expect a collection of children to have played?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #5446 on: September 02, 2017, 04:21:16 AM »
I've gone with give Bruce til (end of) October. If we're off the pace (ie not top 6) by then, I'd boot him. It's a reasonable and achievable objective. Nice bloke, but not sure he can deliver really.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5447 on: September 02, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Yeah I think that's reasonable.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5448 on: September 02, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
He needs to be in the top six after the next six games if there is going to be a realistic chance of automatic promotion.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5449 on: September 02, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »
He needs to be in the top six after the next six games if there is going to be a realistic chance of automatic promotion.
Yep definitely. NO excuses.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #5450 on: September 02, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
totally agree - every home game in September has to be a convincing win at the very least.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5451 on: September 02, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
Exactly - no excuses, not with the money the club has spent.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5452 on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
And as for money, people will retrospectively moan about other teams 'buying the title' etc, but when we attempt to do it, well it just won't work will it... We need to stop giving our lot the free pass by saying money alone won't cut it - we have spent massively and need to see a turn on it. It's on Bruce and the players to make the millions of pounds spent count.

Having briefly discussed the matter with him, I can assure you Brian isn't driving at giving Bruce a pass or suggesting we ought never to spend and aim to go up with a team made up of 17 year olds from Nechells only.

It is the fact that too often we think short term. That throwing money at X when others can't is something that must be a constant to stand any chance of achieving promotion.

By way of example, that shit run after Christmas last year. We weren't scoring enough so the answer was to spunk a load of cash on Hogan because he had scored a fair few for Brentford. Ignore the fact we were struggling to get the midfield further forward. Ignore the fact he can't function without a midfield that do. He scores goals, burn a few quid more.

Or the rehabilitation  (part 62) of the fat waster that is Gabby. Why not give RHM or Davis a chance?

This summer it has been about wages spunked.  Throw a shit load at Terry when Baker was more than adequate on less than half the cash. Or the need for players with "experience of the big league" who are fucking ancient and coming in with big league salaries.

For too long the answer to bloody everything at this club has been cash. Whether it is that Lerner isn't spending enough or Xia needs to keep spending. The answer too often is money. Rather than planning, philosophy and organisation.

That is the issue. Somewhere along the line we need to work out who we want to be rather than bung a few bob at it and hope for the best.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5453 on: September 04, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »
I think he would have signed Hogan regardless of the bad spell we had. He did say he'd been watching him for a while.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5454 on: September 04, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »
I think he would have signed Hogan regardless of the bad spell we had. He did say he'd been watching him for a while.

So did Sherwood about what we signed the previous summer. I don't understand why he would buy Hogan and then play in the opposite way to what made him successful in the first place.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #5455 on: September 04, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »

I think he would have been right to do so as well. Membership is low here in the Hogan fanclub but I think this season he will win over a lot of people. As Chelts notes this is assuming he is played correctly of course.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5456 on: September 04, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »

I think he would have been right to do so as well. Membership is low here in the Hogan fanclub but I think this season he will win over a lot of people. As Chelts notes this is assuming he is played correctly of course.

I like him as well. I reckon he'll be a favourite down there eventually.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5457 on: September 04, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Baker is anything but adequate.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #5458 on: September 04, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
Baker is anything but adequate.

So, do you mean more than adequate or less than adequate?

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #5459 on: September 04, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »

Think when he has been on the pitch Hogan has been pretty bright, always moving and desperate for ball on the deck to use, too much ball is aimed at his head - square pegs round holes!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal