collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113992 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5310 on: August 30, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
I do love the way people will spend hours/days/months on here saying something should be done, but when they're asked what exactly it is that should be done, it's not their job.

When Leicester binned Pearson, I'd be surprised if Ranieri entered the thinking of a single Leicester supporter. When he couldn't get them out of their spiral, Craig Shakespeare probably wasn't high up on most people's lists to replace him either. 

Their supporters who were unable to come up with the names of Ranieri or Shakespeare upon request weren't wrong to want a change.

I'm not saying they are. I'm having a wry smile to myself at the amount of people who spend so much time saying a manager should be sacked or a player bought, often with a further comment about how this is a discussion forum and they're entitled to say what they want, then when they're asked who they'd bring in they clam up because it's not their job.

They're not all that clammed up - we have a 700+ post thread full of people saying who they would bring in and their reasons on the second page of this forum.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5311 on: August 30, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »
That is such a cop out. It's also not your job to fire a manager but doesn't stop people banging on and on about it.
I usually spot a pot hole in the road but I don't fix it and I do tell those who are responsible for fixing it.
Not the best analogy , a pothole is never going to fix itself even if you wait a month. Whereas we could improve in a month. Whether you like it or not that appears to be the plan from the board based on recent results and new signings hopefully making an impact

And that for me is the best course of action. They're still letting him bring his own players in and the vast majority of fans whilst rightly disappointed that we haven't made a better start than we have are not on his back as yet.  After the turmoil of the last few season's, I think it's the right approach for now.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #5312 on: August 30, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
Again, who is the stand out candidate?
Again that's not for me , you and anyone on this forum to pick. There are couple of blokes called Round and Wyness who are probably paid a million pounds per annum between them to do. So far they have not done a good job.

It might not be for me, you or anyone else to pick the next manager or the stand out candidate , but what's so hard about having a opinion about who it might or should be?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5313 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:19 PM »
The problem fans have in suggesting a realistic manager is that we do not know half of the constraints/parameters that he would have to work under/to.  Only the Owner knows this, although some of this may have been delegated to Wyness.

So not knowing the terms and conditions that Steve Bruce works under should also mean you aren't allowed to comment on his performance either.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5314 on: August 30, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
That is such a cop out. It's also not your job to fire a manager but doesn't stop people banging on and on about it.
I usually spot a pot hole in the road but I don't fix it and I do tell those who are responsible for fixing it.
Not the best analogy , a pothole is never going to fix itself even if you wait a month. Whereas we could improve in a month. Whether you like it or not that appears to be the plan from the board based on recent results and new signings hopefully making an impact

And that for me is the best course of action. They're still letting him bring his own players in and the vast majority of fans whilst rightly disappointed that we haven't made a better start than we have are not on his back as yet.  After the turmoil of the last few season's, I think it's the right approach for now.

There's a few potholes in that argument. Recent results? It also makes you wonder how managers up and down the country, nevermind around the world manage to be successful without having the luxury of being able to bring in all their own players.

I'd say it's more about stability at any cost. Let's just pray it's a price worth paying.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:16:44 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #5315 on: August 30, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
Steve Bruce or a pothole? Sign pothole up.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5316 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
The problem fans have in suggesting a realistic manager is that we do not know half of the constraints/parameters that he would have to work under/to.  Only the Owner knows this, although some of this may have been delegated to Wyness.

So not knowing the terms and conditions that Steve Bruce works under should also mean you aren't allowed to comment on his performance either.
Except we can all see exactly the conditions he is working under.
Unless you think he is contractually obliged to only play hoofball, buy right sided players, spend the budget on has beens and randomly play 3 centre halves.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #5317 on: August 30, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
The fact remains that the squad we have should walk this league even if we had harry in charge. Bruce has been average or borderline for us it's now for the players to live up to their reputations. Sack Bruce not a lot will change we could even bring in a sub standard manager which will set us back further

Surely those two things are a contradiction? If Bruce's performance was average with the best squad in the league, he'd be there or thereabouts, not 18th having finished 13th with a fairly similar squad for much of last season.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5318 on: August 30, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »

Unless you think he is contractually obliged to only play hoofball, buy right sided players, spend the budget on has beens and randomly play 3 centre halves.

We don't set out to play hoof ball, we just resort to it because we haven't set up properly and can't find space to go forward.
We we are set up correctly we can play some decent stuff.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #5319 on: August 30, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »

We don't set out to play hoof ball, we just resort to it because we haven't set up properly and can't find space to go forward.
We we are set up correctly we can play some decent stuff.

I don't think we play hoof ball either. It's just a lazy slur to aim at Bruce.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5320 on: August 30, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »
Hoof ball would be an improvement

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5321 on: August 30, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
Oh excellent analogy in my opinion. You could sit there and wish and hope that pot hole will fill in time with dirt and grime and all would be ok or you could do what's necessary straight away.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #5322 on: August 30, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
We don't really play any style of football under Bruce. I've certainly not been able to decipher any prolonged style of play, or consistency in formation. I think his general ethos is just to buy good players, and hope that they outplay the opposition.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5323 on: August 30, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
We don't really play any style of football under Bruce. I've certainly not been able to decipher any prolonged style of play, or consistency in formation. I think his general ethos is just to buy good players, and hope that they outplay the opposition.
Agree, although lumping the ball towards Elmo's head for the flick on is now a fixed tactic,what do we call that?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5324 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
I do love the way people will spend hours/days/months on here saying something should be done, but when they're asked what exactly it is that should be done, it's not their job.
Yes a bit like the government. We tell them things need fixing but we don't fix them. It's their job. Not sure why you have a problem with it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal