collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115118 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5295 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
Again, who is the stand out candidate?
Again that's not for me , you and anyone on this forum to pick. There are couple of blokes called Round and Wyness who are probably paid a million pounds per annum between them to do. So far they have not done a good job.

That is such a cop out. It's also not your job to fire a manager but doesn't stop people banging on and on about it.

Knowing that someone has failed and knowing how to fix their failure aren't the same thing.

Coming into a Bruce out thread and then complaining that it's full of people 'banging on' about wanting rid of him isn't particularly helpful though, how about instead of moaning about what people say you come up with some good reasons why people are wrong to be 'banging on' about it.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5296 on: August 30, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
That is such a cop out. It's also not your job to fire a manager but doesn't stop people banging on and on about it.
I usually spot a pot hole in the road but I don't fix it and I do tell those who are responsible for fixing it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5297 on: August 30, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
I do love the way people will spend hours/days/months on here saying something should be done, but when they're asked what exactly it is that should be done, it's not their job.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #5298 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »
I do love the way people will spend hours/days/months on here saying something should be done, but when they're asked what exactly it is that should be done, it's not their job.

So you can't have an opinion on something unless you're an expert in the field of fixing it?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5299 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »

So you can't have an opinion on something unless you're an expert in the field of fixing it?

No, which is why I didn't say that.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #5300 on: August 30, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »

No, which is why I didn't say that.

Aha. The classic HandV trap...

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5301 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »
I usually spot a pot hole in the road but I don't fix it and I do tell those who are responsible for fixing it.
Not the best analogy , a pothole is never going to fix itself even if you wait a month. Whereas we could improve in a month. Whether you like it or not that appears to be the plan from the board based on recent results and new signings hopefully making an impact

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5302 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
The thing is though we don't have access to agents to know which managers would be interested, we don't know what budgets we have for wages for the manager and his team or what options he'd have for other changes to the club.

I don't think Bruce is the right manager for us and never did because I think he's too set in his ways of managing a smaller club to over-achieve and the expectations at his 2 biggest jobs (here and Sunderland) have been too much for him.

I think the solution is to decide how we want to play and setup a strategy at all levels to provide players with the skills to fit that.  For me that style is to focus on basic technical skills (first touch, short crisp passing, movement off the ball and capable of doing all of those things at a high tempo).

I'd then find a first team manager with experience at a big club with high expectations who I believe is capable of playing that way, as I said on the replacement manager thread my first choice for that would be to try to convince Cocu to leave PSV.

Going back to the first point though most people won't suggest someone like that for fear of being called unrealistic so we convince ourselves that the only options are people who are out of work (Moyes, fat Sam) or managers who'd be making a big step up (Smith) and then Bruce looks ok against them and we get the argument that we should keep him because there's no one better we could get.

The job of Wyness and Round is to make us the best they can, and that cannot be allowed to mean grabbing the first manager who looks interested next time.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5303 on: August 30, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »

In a way, I suppose that is similar to people saying get promotion first and worry about what we do then at the time.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #5304 on: August 30, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
There are some good suggestions here but its hard to know who is exactly available , I would assume in Wyness position if Bruce was to be replaced he would be putting feeders out to see who would be able to come in. I would say some managers who seem unavailable would if the role is there to be filled would then make themselves available.

For example Big Sam retired then yesterday he alluded to it being more of a break than a retirement and he would be one I would be interested in to come in , some say he like Bruce I disagree unlike Bruce he has never been relegated and is known to follow new techniques in management.The football might not be eye catching but he gets results  and I think he is good at assessing a squad and getting best from what he has unlike Bruce who just wants to keep trading players.

Slaviša Jokanović is the other I like and it seemed he was unhappy with transfers at Fulham but reports today have them after Gayle /Jota and Foresteri so I'm not sure he will be reachable now but he does play decent football and has had good success at Watford and Fulham. Talk of Fulham wanting a big pay off to buy him out of contract would also put him down the pecking order.

Dyche if we could get him to drop down a league would be another I would be interested in but think at this stage he would rather stay another season at Burnley.

Bruce for now as respite after 2 wins and a draw though the Norwich win looks less impressive seeing as Milwall scored 4 past them but kept a clean sheet ...currently 10 points off top after 5 games if that gap increases over next round of games he needs to go to try and salvage the season. I just don't see it  the talk of battering down hatches is the defensive mindset that we also see on the pitch ..1-1 against Bristol where we played ok and his subs screamed consolidation going for a win you would have brought on Adomah and played Hogan off Davies instead he brings on a right footed mid to play left mid takes of a striker and leaves Elhamodey on who was rubbish so I just don't see any major improvement going forward

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #5305 on: August 30, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »

In a way, I suppose that is similar to people saying get promotion first and worry about what we do then at the time.

And there's nothing wrong with that either. Walk before we can run and all that.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5306 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »

When Leicester binned Pearson, I'd be surprised if Ranieri entered the thinking of a single Leicester supporter. When he couldn't get them out of their spiral, Craig Shakespeare probably wasn't high up on most people's lists to replace him either. 

Their supporters who were unable to come up with the names of Ranieri or Shakespeare upon request weren't wrong to want a change.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5307 on: August 30, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
The fact remains that the squad we have should walk this league even if we had harry in charge. Bruce has been average or borderline for us it's now for the players to live up to their reputations. Sack Bruce not a lot will change we could even bring in a sub standard manager which will set us back further

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5308 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »

When Leicester binned Pearson, I'd be surprised if Ranieri entered the thinking of a single Leicester supporter. When he couldn't get them out of their spiral, Craig Shakespeare probably wasn't high up on most people's lists to replace him either. 

Their supporters who were unable to come up with the names of Ranieri or Shakespeare upon request weren't wrong to want a change.

I'm not saying they are. I'm having a wry smile to myself at the amount of people who spend so much time saying a manager should be sacked or a player bought, often with a further comment about how this is a discussion forum and they're entitled to say what they want, then when they're asked who they'd bring in they clam up because it's not their job.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5309 on: August 30, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
The problem fans have in suggesting a realistic manager is that we do not know half of the constraints/parameters that he would have to work under/to.  Only the Owner knows this, although some of this may have been delegated to Wyness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal