collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2124930 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5205 on: August 29, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
When people are picking apart what he says, but also pick apart what he hasn't said. Sad but amusing.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #5206 on: August 29, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »
The start to this season has very much epitomised Bruce's whole tenure. Personally, I don't think he's done enough to convince he's the man to get us promoted, but he also hasn't quite been bad enough to justify getting the boot. It's the worst situation really; if we need to get a replacement we need to get it done before we're too far adrift, but if he's going to take us up, he needed to get off to a flyer and get everyone behind him. He's done neither. Which is why arguments on both sides have valid points.

Now we go into a month where we'll probably know whether he's cut out for the job. If he's not, though, will we be too far behind to do anything about it?

It's been the most frustrating start imaginable. Perversely, that victory over Norwich might end up being our worst result so far in the long term. Having said that, we might also be able to point to it in two months time as the turning point.

There, is that wishy-washy enough?

I agree that we are in 'no mans land' at the moment. Bruce needs to be given the next 6 league matches (unless it goes absolutely tits up in the first couple) to judge.  We have to be in the top six if we have any chance of automatic promotion.  Once the Club decided at the end of last season it was all aboard Bruce's ship (I was against it), a mediocre start was always going to get him to October.  As you say, the start to the season is probably the worst position for decisions.

As I said above, if we are not top six, I would be looking to change and trying for a late charge at the play-offs but with a complete change in style and a view to changing players at Xmas.  The change would be geared for next season but with an outside chance for this season.  The worst possible situation would be sticking with Bruce but not achieving promotion, however close as we would be throwing everything at a preseason next summer.

There would be no need to change the players.  There is more than enough quality at the club.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5207 on: August 29, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
Changing the players would be the worst thing to do. It would be like starting all over again.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #5208 on: August 29, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
I have no problem with the quality in the playing staff my issue is with the quality in the coaching staff (and I definitely include Bruce in that) - he's got a squad that is pretty much the envy of the division and still sets up with five at the back... away at Bristol City

As has been said before he needs a very good September or will be gone by the end of it and sure there will be plenty of takers when it comes to sourcing a replacement

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5209 on: August 29, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »
The start to this season has very much epitomised Bruce's whole tenure. Personally, I don't think he's done enough to convince he's the man to get us promoted, but he also hasn't quite been bad enough to justify getting the boot. It's the worst situation really; if we need to get a replacement we need to get it done before we're too far adrift, but if he's going to take us up, he needed to get off to a flyer and get everyone behind him. He's done neither. Which is why arguments on both sides have valid points.

Now we go into a month where we'll probably know whether he's cut out for the job. If he's not, though, will we be too far behind to do anything about it?

It's been the most frustrating start imaginable. Perversely, that victory over Norwich might end up being our worst result so far in the long term. Having said that, we might also be able to point to it in two months time as the turning point.

There, is that wishy-washy enough?

I agree that we are in 'no mans land' at the moment. Bruce needs to be given the next 6 league matches (unless it goes absolutely tits up in the first couple) to judge.  We have to be in the top six if we have any chance of automatic promotion.  Once the Club decided at the end of last season it was all aboard Bruce's ship (I was against it), a mediocre start was always going to get him to October.  As you say, the start to the season is probably the worst position for decisions.

As I said above, if we are not top six, I would be looking to change and trying for a late charge at the play-offs but with a complete change in style and a view to changing players at Xmas.  The change would be geared for next season but with an outside chance for this season.  The worst possible situation would be sticking with Bruce but not achieving promotion, however close as we would be throwing everything at a preseason next summer.

There would be no need to change the players.  There is more than enough quality at the club.

My comment on changing players was meant as a progressive change to younger players that would form a basis for life in the PL i.e. start of a sustainable rebuild.  It was not meant as wholesale change for the sake of it.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #5210 on: August 29, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
I don't know what you're all moaning at, we did get a draw away at the Barcelona of the south west.

Offline KRS

« Reply #5211 on: August 29, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
A lot has been said of his tactics (or lack of) and his negative style of play, but how much of this has been down to the playing staff at his disposal and having to use those tactics at his previous clubs. Has he ever had or assembled a squad that is so weighted towards and capable of playing attacking football?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5212 on: August 29, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
When people are picking apart what he says, but also pick apart what he hasn't said. Sad but amusing.

What's sad is some of the nonsense he's been coming out with these last few days. I never expected the football to be great but I thought he had shoulders broad enough to carry the weight of expectation. He needs to shut up with his excuses and nonsense and let the results do the talking.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #5213 on: August 29, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »

What's sad is some of the nonsense he's been coming out with these last few days. I never expected the football to be great but I thought he had shoulders broad enough to carry the weight of expectation. He needs to shut up with his excuses and nonsense and let the results do the talking.

Exactly. 'That result will shut a few people up''The vultures are quick to circle here' 'There's a myth out there that I've spent millions of pounds' 'I've only been here 6 months'. Lots of lies and excuses and digs.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5214 on: August 29, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »
A lot has been said of his tactics (or lack of) and his negative style of play, but how much of this has been down to the playing staff at his disposal and having to use those tactics at his previous clubs. Has he ever had or assembled a squad that is so weighted towards and capable of playing attacking football?

I touched on this earlier.  I'm not sure he's ever managed a team which would be considered the 'big fish' and consequently I don't think his natural coaching/tactics is geared towards proactively bossing games.  I doubt it is in his memory bank.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5215 on: August 29, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »

I touched on this earlier.  I'm not sure he's ever managed a team which would be considered the 'big fish' and consequently I don't think his natural coaching/tactics is geared towards proactively bossing games.  I doubt it is in his memory bank.

It's certainly in his memory bank from his days as a player, he just needs to adapt that knowledge and experience to his current job.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #5216 on: August 29, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
For me, Bruce hasn't the gumption for the battle ahead. Sure we'll win some games, but they'll be no consistency in the results while Bruce tinkers with the team week in week out, he lacks the emotional intelligence to handle the pressure from the fans and media and he's clearly lacking in the tactical nous, to outwit average Championship managers. 

Bin him immediately.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5217 on: August 29, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
Bruce is like a Donald Trump of Aston Villa

for those that believe in him he can do no wrong, doesn't matter what he says or does he is the man to make Villa great again and all the critics are just full of fake news and should get behind him

for those who don't believe and never have it doesn't matter if we are top 6 or bottom 6 we don't want him,
 we accept he has a record of promotions we just don't think he's ever built anything of worth, value, entertainment or long lasting to be good enough or even deserve the chance of being our manager
we have been so shit for years that even our own fans think Bruce is doing us a favour by coming, tricked into thinking that's the best we can do and be gratefull
 the bar has been lowered so low even Steve Bruce's massive frame can get over it

just like Trump Bruce isn't going to make Villa great again, he's the wrong man at the wrong time, he'l do enough to keep his job for a while, a win or two here, a half decent performance there to keep the believers believing

eventually it will come to an end and we will realise the time, effort and money wasted in the big short fix experiment that ended in failure and just like America we will have to start all over again and hopefully choose someone better

Offline KRS

« Reply #5218 on: August 29, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »
it doesn't matter if we are top 6 or bottom 6 we don't want him
Steady on! That just made me go dizzy with vertigo! :o

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #5219 on: August 29, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
Bruce is like a Donald Trump of Aston Villa

If he puts a wall around the changing room to stop Richards and co getting in that's fine by me. Hopefully we'll be 'locked and loaded' for the game against Blues too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal