collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113910 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5160 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
This debate is ridiculous

Time to give all this villa chat a break for a bit I think

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #5161 on: August 28, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
Remember when Lambert tried playing the possession game? Says it all really.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #5162 on: August 28, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
If you're consistently capable of creating enough chances to win games without having a lot of possession, then, yes, you don't really need to worry about that stat.

The problem is, we haven't displayed that we possess that ability. The most successful teams in recent times who have not prioritised having the ball achieved that by being clinical on the break (Leicester) and/or superb at scoring from set pieces (Atletico). I've seen nothing that suggests we're particularly good at either.

Offline ez

« Reply #5163 on: August 28, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »

The only time i've seen us play the ball backwards from a goal kick.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5164 on: August 28, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »

The only time i've seen us play the ball backwards from a goal kick.

Lol. I remember that. Guzan played it to the left back (I forget who) at the Holte end of the pitch and yes it went backwards towards the corner flag! Lambert had been on a training mission to Dortmund and was taken by their passing game philosophy. For a brief moment I thought he was on to something until it dawned on him that our players didn't possess the same skills as the Germans. Just one more failed idea from our catalogue over the last 5/6 years.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:03:41 PM by The Edge »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5165 on: August 28, 2017, 05:23:44 PM »
We had 20 shots off target compared to their 8 and 8 on target compared to their 3.

I know which stats I prefer

Absolutely. 63% possession and they only mustered 3 shots on target. Not very good is it?

As i said we'll have to agree to disagree. You think possession is unimportant. I don't

Possession without territory is entirely pointless.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #5166 on: August 28, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »

People that are not happy with Bruce are often told "5 games into the season is not sufficient to make an informed decision on how Bruce is doing!" (Never mind the previous 35).

So I don't see how one result against Norwich can be used to suggest we may have turned a corner?

Looking at the fixtures, I am expecting 14+ points in September. Much less and Bruce should be gone. No excuses.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5167 on: August 28, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »
Yep he needs 14 odd points from the 6 games in September.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5168 on: August 28, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »

People that are not happy with Bruce are often told "5 games into the season is not sufficient to make an informed decision on how Bruce is doing!" (Never mind the previous 35).

So I don't see how one result against Norwich can be used to suggest we may have turned a corner?

Looking at the fixtures, I am expecting 14+ points in September. Much less and Bruce should be gone. No excuses.

It's not just one result that gives some  sort of indication that perhaps and I say perhaps we can be optimistic.  The general strength of our squad should see us through this marathon,  succeeded in difficult conditions with squad players at Colchester, a decent squad performance against Wigan, a battling performance where we ended up much the stronger team at Bristol. 

Okay we surrendered at Cardiff and were indifferent at Reading - but look at Sheff  Wed struggling at Burton, Derby losing at Bramall Lane, Fulham and their "great  manager" only one league victory, Leeds losing their main striker, Middlesborgh not pulling up trees etc etc.  We will be there or thereabouts.  The plus point this  season  is that we have players who can come  in and  go more than a decent job, with perhaps  left back the only position where we now lack respectable cover. 

Believe me prospective managers will think heavily before testing  their CV and coming to the Villa.   We will be fine and you can quote me on this come the end  of this  season.  Sit back and enjoy.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5169 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
Surely we've got to click at some point.  You can't have this many good players on paper and continue being rubbish forever.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #5170 on: August 28, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »

It's not just one result that gives some  sort of indication that perhaps and I say perhaps we can be optimistic.  The general strength of our squad should see us through this marathon,  succeeded in difficult conditions with squad players at Colchester, a decent squad performance against Wigan, a battling performance where we ended up much the stronger team at Bristol. 

Okay we surrendered at Cardiff and were indifferent at Reading - but look at Sheff  Wed struggling at Burton, Derby losing at Bramall Lane, Fulham and their "great  manager" only one league victory, Leeds losing their main striker, Middlesborgh not pulling up trees etc etc.  We will be there or thereabouts.  The plus point this  season  is that we have players who can come  in and  go more than a decent job, with perhaps  left back the only position where we now lack respectable cover. 

Believe me prospective managers will think heavily before testing  their CV and coming to the Villa.   We will be fine and you can quote me on this come the end  of this  season.  Sit back and enjoy.
Fair enough, but from where I'm sat the manager hasn't got a fkn clue.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #5171 on: August 28, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »
Surely we've got to click at some point.  You can't have this many good players on paper and continue being rubbish forever.

You can if they are thrown on to the pitch with minimal care against teams drilled in their own way of playing.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5172 on: August 28, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »

We wasn't indifferent at Reading we were outplayed. Bruce's spin on the game was that we deserved something out of it. Sorry but I don't buy that. In fact I think it was a piss take out of the 4000 travelling fans who know the truth. BUT I'm more optimistic after the subsequent games and after my initial rant following the Reading game I'm trying hard to be optimistic. I hope and pray your right to say we should sit back and enjoy and I really admire your faith in the management team. If your right I will gladly buy your beer all night on the day of our promotion. 👍

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5173 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »

Fair enough, but from where I'm sat the manager hasn't got a fkn clue.

As I said quote me at the end of the season.  Sacking Bruce is definitely not the way forward right now.  Even saying that the players  we have in the squad should guarantee a top 6 spot and as long as Bruce isn't  panicked or feels Dr Tony breathing down his neck at any hiccup we will be fine.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #5174 on: August 28, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »

We wasn't indifferent at Reading we were outplayed. Bruce's spin on the game was that we deserved something out of it. Sorry but I don't buy that. In fact I think it was a piss take out of the 4000 travelling fans who know the truth. BUT I'm more optimistic after the subsequent games and after my initial rant following the Reading game I'm trying hard to be optimistic. I hope and pray your right to say we should sit back and enjoy and I really admire your faith in the management team. If your right I will gladly buy your beer all night on the day of our promotion. 👍

Thats exactly how I feel Mr Edge. Just wanna see the next game now to see if my optimism is misplaced

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal