collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113779 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5145 on: August 28, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
We had 20 shots off target compared to their 8 and 8 on target compared to their 3.

I know which stats I prefer

Absolutely. 63% possession and they only mustered 3 shots on target. Not very good is it?

As i said we'll have to agree to disagree. You think possession is unimportant. I don't

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5146 on: August 28, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »
the possession stats are there to see Clampy. If you really think that its a good plan to let players like Hutton and Elmo cope with attackers charging at them for 90 minutes over the rest of the season in the hope that we'll score more than 2 each game then i'm just glad you no-one listens to us to our ramblings. As a wise man once said, the opposition can't score if they haven't got the ball.

Possession stats don't win games. I'm pretty sure Norwich were not taking having all that possession as a positive after the game. As for Hutton, he was taken off against Norwich so he didn't play the full 90.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. To me shipping 2 at home is not a great defensive performance. Even Norwich would be quite happy if they knew they would score two every away game. Or indeed bruce

Two goals wouldn't have helped them on Saturday, they still would have lost. We switched off for both their goals. From memory (and I might be wrong), they were the only two chances they had. Good win though eh?

They had three shots on target. Imagine meeting someone good up front.

Still, a good win eh?

A much needed win. To me it was all a bit gungho and reminded me of a game we played at home under BFR just before he got the boot.  Lots of effort and an almost suicidal will to win. But you can't do that all season without the basics of possession and defensive work.
Try telling that to a Leicester fan

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5147 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:12 PM »
I don't read anything into the Norwich result as improvement.
Really ? Even though we went into that game on the back of a defeat and they went into it on the back of a victory. We scored 4 times and twice after conceding and had  numerous shots on goal.

Yeah I see what your saying. No improvement at all

There were positives to take out of it. We scored 4, Green scored his first senior goal, Davis had a great game, we responded with goals after conceding and a midfielder scored a hat-trick. Or, it was only Norwich.

It was a great and very welcome victory in my book, absolutely no complaints at all.  But then Bruce followed it up with another baffling team selection and less than brilliant team performance.  The win against Norwich was very good, but 5 points from 5 games is a pretty dismal start to the season.
Yeah I made the point in an earlier post. After really encouraging and much needed back to back wins why on earth experiment with the set up? In Bruce's words "we had a look at it and realised it wasn't working" Why? I just don't get his thinking on that. How can the players get any momentum or confidence going when he unnecessarily tinkers with the formation? I only ever played at a half decent amateur level but one thing that rings true at all levels is why change a winning team?

Online Clampy

« Reply #5148 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
I think the day when I get pissed off about the possession the opposition had when we've scored four and won is the day I might as well give up and stop going. I hope I don't get like that.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5149 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
I think the day when I get pissed off about the possession the opposition had when we've scored four and won is the day I might as well give up and stop going. I hope I don't get like that.

Maybe but its better than ignoring the lack of possession when we lose. I tend to think they're connected

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #5150 on: August 28, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
the possession stats are there to see Clampy. If you really think that its a good plan to let players like Hutton and Elmo cope with attackers charging at them for 90 minutes over the rest of the season in the hope that we'll score more than 2 each game then i'm just glad you no-one listens to us to our ramblings. As a wise man once said, the opposition can't score if they haven't got the ball.

Possession stats don't win games. I'm pretty sure Norwich were not taking having all that possession as a positive after the game. As for Hutton, he was taken off against Norwich so he didn't play the full 90.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. To me shipping 2 at home is not a great defensive performance. Even Norwich would be quite happy if they knew they would score two every away game. Or indeed bruce

Two goals wouldn't have helped them on Saturday, they still would have lost. We switched off for both their goals. From memory (and I might be wrong), they were the only two chances they had. Good win though eh?

Still, a good win eh?

A much needed win. To me it was all a bit gungho and reminded me of a game we played at home under BFR just before he got the boot.  Lots of effort and an almost suicidal will to win. But you can't do that all season without the basics of possession and defensive work.

Leicester had the 2nd best defence in the league that season.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #5151 on: August 28, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »

Maybe but its better than ignoring the lack of possession when we lose. I tend to think they're connected
But you've been moaning about the lack of possession when we've won

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #5152 on: August 28, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »

Still, a good win eh?

Leicester had the 2nd best defence in the league that season.
I was referring more to their possession stats

Online Clampy

« Reply #5153 on: August 28, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »

Maybe we should be docked a point?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #5154 on: August 28, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
More possession = more wins in 90% of games. Leicester were set up to soak up pressure and hit quickly with the speed of the players throughout there team. We aren't set up that way and don't have the players to play fast counter attacking football. We have low % of possession because we aren't very good at passing or moving.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5155 on: August 28, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
The Norwich result and our play was great however that was a long distance memory on Friday night as Bruce resorted to type. So let's not talk too much about one match stats. Things be clearer by end is September and I hope Bruce wins 5 out of 6 and I will be delighted however I can not see it.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5156 on: August 28, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »

Because teams that are on the up generally tend to have most of the possession of the ball at home at least. I don't think its a left-field suggestion that good teams tend to keep the ball and win more than they lose playing like that

Online Clampy

« Reply #5157 on: August 28, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »
I was actually surprised when someone told me the possession stats because it didn't seem like they had that much of the ball. It's not something I take too much notice of anyway.

Online The Edge

« Reply #5158 on: August 28, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
I was actually surprised when someone told me the possession stats because it didn't seem like they had that much of the ball. It's not something I take too much notice of anyway.
Like a wise man once said "the only stat that really matters is the one in the top left of the screen"

Offline KRS

« Reply #5159 on: August 28, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
Geez! Anyone would have thought that I said we should give Gabby and Hutton another 3 year extension to their contracts! :D

It was great to get a win but that's all it was and we need to put it into context without getting carried away...we put 4 past Norwich but so did newly promoted Millwall this weekend so it's looking like Norwich are a bit shit. We beat them fair and square, but let's have a bit of perspective.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal