collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114389 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5130 on: August 28, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »
I don't read anything into the Norwich result as improvement.
Really ? Even though we went into that game on the back of a defeat and they went into it on the back of a victory. We scored 4 times and twice after conceding and had  numerous shots on goal.

Yeah I see what your saying. No improvement at all

We totally surrendered possession. Great against a team who can't do anything with the ball, a disaster if we meet a team who can. We still let 2 goals in against them though - imagine someone with good attacking players given that much of the ball. Great thing about the Bristol game is we kept the ball.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5131 on: August 28, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
We don't win many so it's difficult to make a call on that. The Bristol result is being compared to last season and revised into a done sort of victory at the moment. No point in comparing individual results it's the collective sum that is under question.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5132 on: August 28, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Really ? Even though we went into that game on the back of a defeat and they went into it on the back of a victory. We scored 4 times and twice after conceding and had  numerous shots on goal.

There were positives to take out of it. We scored 4, Green scored his first senior goal, Davis had a great game, we responded with goals after conceding and a midfielder scored a hat-trick. Or, it was only Norwich.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5133 on: August 28, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »

We totally surrendered possession. Great against a team who can't do anything with the ball, a disaster if we meet a team who can. We still let 2 goals in against them though - imagine someone with good attacking players given that much of the ball. Great thing about the Bristol game is we kept the ball.

I might go back and check the result to see if we actually won.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5134 on: August 28, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »

There were positives to take out of it. We scored 4, Green scored his first senior goal, Davis had a great game, we responded with goals after conceding and a midfielder scored a hat-trick. Or, it was only Norwich.

It was a great and very welcome victory in my book, absolutely no complaints at all.  But then Bruce followed it up with another baffling team selection and less than brilliant team performance.  The win against Norwich was very good, but 5 points from 5 games is a pretty dismal start to the season.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5135 on: August 28, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »
the possession stats are there to see Clampy. If you really think that its a good plan to let players like Hutton and Elmo cope with attackers charging at them for 90 minutes over the rest of the season in the hope that we'll score more than 2 each game then i'm just glad no-one listens to us and our ramblings. As a wise man once said, the opposition can't score if they haven't got the ball.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5136 on: August 28, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »
the possession stats are there to see Clampy. If you really think that its a good plan to let players like Hutton and Elmo cope with attackers charging at them for 90 minutes over the rest of the season in the hope that we'll score more than 2 each game then i'm just glad you no-one listens to us to our ramblings. As a wise man once said, the opposition can't score if they haven't got the ball.

Possession stats don't win games. I'm pretty sure Norwich were not taking having all that possession as a positive after the game. As for Hutton, he was taken off against Norwich so he didn't play the full 90.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5137 on: August 28, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
the possession stats are there to see Clampy. If you really think that its a good plan to let players like Hutton and Elmo cope with attackers charging at them for 90 minutes over the rest of the season in the hope that we'll score more than 2 each game then i'm just glad you no-one listens to us to our ramblings. As a wise man once said, the opposition can't score if they haven't got the ball.

Possession stats don't win games. I'm pretty sure Norwich were not taking having all that possession as a positive after the game. As for Hutton, he was taken off against Norwich so he didn't play the full 90.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. To me shipping 2 at home is not a great defensive performance. Even Norwich would be quite happy if they knew they would score two every away game. Or indeed bruce

Online Clampy

« Reply #5138 on: August 28, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. To me shipping 2 at home is not a great defensive performance. Even Norwich would be quite happy if they knew they would score two every away game. Or indeed bruce

Two goals wouldn't have helped them on Saturday, they still would have lost. We switched off for both their goals. From memory (and I might be wrong), they were the only two chances they had. Good win though eh?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5139 on: August 28, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »
I bet the Norwich fans are delighted with their 63% possession from that game

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5140 on: August 28, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »

Two goals wouldn't have helped them on Saturday, they still would have lost. We switched off for both their goals. From memory (and I might be wrong), they were the only two chances they had. Good win though eh?

They had three shots on target. Imagine meeting someone good up front.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5141 on: August 28, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »

Still, a good win eh?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5142 on: August 28, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
We had 20 shots off target compared to their 8 and 8 on target compared to their 3.

I know which stats I prefer

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5143 on: August 28, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »

Still, a good win eh?

A much needed win. To me it was all a bit gungho and reminded me of a game we played at home under BFR just before he got the boot.  Lots of effort and an almost suicidal will to win. But you can't do that all season without the basics of possession and defensive work.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5144 on: August 28, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
We had 20 shots off target compared to their 8 and 8 on target compared to their 3.

I know which stats I prefer

Absolutely. 63% possession and they only mustered 3 shots on target. Not very good is it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal