collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113287 times)

Offline LukeJames

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5115 on: August 28, 2017, 01:00:50 AM »
My expectation has never been to win every game, my expectation is to attempt to win every game.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5116 on: August 28, 2017, 01:08:54 AM »
My expectation has never been to win every game, my expectation is to attempt to win every game.
I agree, but it's ridiculous still calling for a managers head when there has been an improvement in performances. As I said if we're not in touching distance come October that will be the time to make the change
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:12:21 AM by VillaAlways »

Offline KRS

« Reply #5117 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:23 AM »
It's not something I agree with but if we face the fact that he's not going to lose his job during this international break then we have no choice but to give Bruce the benefit of the doubt and let him prove us wrong with results over the next month or so. Playing devils advocate, if we're prepared to ignore last seasons results then that should give him the time he keeps asking for and buys him the 6 games in September...if we don't see a considerable improvement in performances and results then he should be sacked before we face both Wolves and Blues away in October.

August: 5pts
DLLWD

September: minimum 12pts including an away win
Brentford (H)
Middlesborough (H)
Barnsley (A)
Forest (H)
Burton (A)
Bolton (H)

International break

October:
Wolves (A)
Fulham (H)
Blues (A)

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5118 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:03 AM »
Pretty much agree with that 'target'

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5119 on: August 28, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »
Warnock knows what he's doing at this level.

Big problem I had is I assume SB would revitalize us exactly like Cardiff have been. It just hasn't happened and he will be gone if we don't significantly pick up results in September given who we're playing.
I agree with this. I think we all expected him to bring a never say die siege mentality to the club (a-la Neil Warnocks teams) but it just isn't there. Quite the opposite in fact. The upturn in results and performances in the last 3 games has bought him a reprieve but there is still genuine cause for concern. Why change the formation to a back 3 when we've scored 8 goals in the previous two games? Sherwoodesque type pointless tinkering that was. Can he learn? I certainly hope so. If we see Hutton and Gabby featuring in the next game I'll be disappointed. Snodgrass could be a game changer imo but only if he plays an attacking formation where he can flourish for us. Over to you Brucie.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:59:34 AM by The Edge »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5120 on: August 28, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »
Warnock knows what he's doing at this level.

Big problem I had is I assume SB would revitalize us exactly like Cardiff have been. It just hasn't happened and he will be gone if we don't significantly pick up results in September given who we're playing.
I agree with this. I think we all expected him to bring a never say die siege mentality to the club (a-Neil Warnocks teams) but it just isn't there. Quite the opposite in fact. The upturn in results and performances in the last 3 games has bought him a reprieve but there is still genuine cause for concern. Why change the formation to a back 3 when we've scored 8 goals in the previous two games? Sherwoodesque type pointless tinkering that was. Can he learn? I certainly hope so. If we see Hutton and Gabby featuring in the next game I'll be disappointed. Snodgrass could be a game changer imo but only if he plays an attacking formation where he can flourish for us. Over to you Brucie.

I don't think Bruce's core skills, that stubborn resilience, is suited to the biggest club in the division.  His tactics default to a 'back foot' approach whereas we need a 'front foot' mentality.  Most teams would take a draw against us before the fixture so you effectively have two teams happy to cancel each other out.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5121 on: August 28, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
I agree, but it's ridiculous still calling for a managers head when there has been an improvement in performances. As I said if we're not in touching distance come October that will be the time to make the change
It's not ridiculous to say Bruce should go at this stage based on 40 games he has been in charge but it's reasonable to say let's wait but highlights how fans are prepared to cling on to very small improvements more in hope than reality. October IMO is too late.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #5122 on: August 28, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
It's not ridiculous to say Bruce should go at this stage based on 40 games he has been in charge but it's reasonable to say let's wait but highlights how fans are prepared to cling on to very small improvements more in hope than reality. October IMO is too late.
Absolutely spot on there. The board should be proactive and not reactive. I fear it will be too late when they react. AFAIC, next month is one of the most important in the clubs history as if we don't go up this year I really do fear the worst.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #5123 on: August 28, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
If we lose to Brentford at home with a poor performance I don't think they'll wait til October. He has to continue this unbeaten run with wins at home and at least one away win in  September. He shouldn't be given til October if the football is shite and we're losing every game. My point is still calling for his head after improved performances seems crazy. Let's hope he's learnt from the Bristol game, if he hasn't then goodbye
I'm confident results will continue to improve
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:28:58 AM by VillaAlways »

Offline KRS

« Reply #5124 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
Another slight cause for concern is that the only league game we've won was against a Norwich team that have only won once themselves so far and lost 3...and who also shipped 4 goals against Millwall which just so happened to be their only win so far too. I don't want to be negative but this up turn in form/results were against a very poor Norwich team and Wigan reserves, before scrambling to grab a draw away at Bristol. When you look at it, it's certainly not something we should be getting carried away with and he still has everything to prove in these next 6 games. I'm not feeling overly optimistic that Bruce will deliver.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:48:47 AM by KRS »

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #5125 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
Please, not we only won because it's crap opposition line. We went out to Luton in the cup last season and lost 3-1 to Bristol city. We're showing spirit when we fall behind. You can only hope it continues however if he starts with Gabby and Hutton against Brentford I'll be the first calling for his head

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #5126 on: August 28, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
I don't read anything into the Norwich result as improvement. As i said at the time we finally met a team as bad as us. If anything the Bristol game was a more promising sign. We played bad but still got a point and showed a bit of fight for a change. He needs to win all the home games in September imo which would at least keep us in the hunt for promotion. I'd swap a loss at home for a win away but other than that i agree 12 points is the minimum.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #5127 on: August 28, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
I don't read anything into the Norwich result as improvement.
Really ? Even though we went into that game on the back of a defeat and they went into it on the back of a victory. We scored 4 times and twice after conceding and had  numerous shots on goal.

Yeah I see what your saying. No improvement at all

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5128 on: August 28, 2017, 11:32:16 AM »
We're the only team who wins games via default.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5129 on: August 28, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
We're the only team who wins games via default.

It's incredible isn't it? Can you imagine the amount of grief Bruce would have got if we'd only drawn against Norwich? We won and it's still not good enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal