collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113158 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5040 on: August 26, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
Green will need to be looked after. He will have great games like Norwich and be anonynous like yesterday.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5041 on: August 26, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
Well it should be Snodgrass in for Elmo. But seeing as Elmo is another one of Brucie love children I wouldn't be surprised to see Green get dropped instead and Snodgrass played in a position he dislikes on the left.
This is why he wants to go 3 at the back, he can play Elmo wing back and Snod in front of him, keeping all his love children happy.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5042 on: August 26, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
He's going to play a wing back and a winger?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5043 on: August 26, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »
He did at Hull and maybe Samba up front.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #5044 on: August 26, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »

3-4-3, I suppose.

Seems too adventurous for him though.

Offline paul richard

« Reply #5045 on: August 26, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
We have the ground, we have the support, and we have the squad.  By my reckoning we have two players for each position, plus a very capable youth/reserve team:

Johnstone/Steer

Hutton/de Laet  Terry/Richards  Chester/Samba  Taylor/Bjarnson

Whelan/Jedinak

Hourihane/Lansbury      Onomah/Grealish

Elmo/Adomah              Gabby/Hogan        Kodjia/Snodgrass

Reserve/Youth:

Bunn

Bree        Suliman       ?             Clark

Lyden        Doyle-Hayes

O'Hare

?       Davis   Green

Departure Lounge:

Gardner
McCormack
Elphick

Without the bomb squadders that's 33 players, plus whoever else I might have forgotten.

Some obvious points:

1 Despite the size of the squad we are light at left back.  Clark is right footed and Bjarnason isn't really a full back.
2 Despite the size of the squad we are light at centre back.  I've included Richards but he should arguably be alongside the other bomb squadders in the Departure Lounge.  And Samba is a risk - possibly too old, and too slow.
3 Some of the youth/reserves are already making their mark in the first team (Bree, Davis and Green) but face an uphill task in getting regular game time given the numbers in the first team squad ahead of them.

So we have the strength in depth.  I can't believe there are many team elsewhere in the Championship who come close.  What I'm less sure about is whether or not we have the manager who can pick a team and style of play with logic and consistency to make the most of the resources now at his disposal.  He got lucky v Norwich. His hand was forced by knocks to Hogan and Gabby, and found himself with picking a 433 team that clicked, with Davis providing an object lesson in holding the ball up and Hourihane the principal beneficiary. He got it right v Wigan. He rested players picked v Norwich and was rewarded with some excellent performances from the youth team replacements. So what does he do v Bristol? He tinkers completely unnecessarily, gives off all the wrong signals in changing shape to 532, has to change shape mid-game when 532 clearly doesn't work, and has to settle for a point when he really not only needed three but also needed a strong confident assertive performance against a team that will finish in the bottom half of the table. I don't get the caution. It's time to assert ourselves in this league, and Bristol away was an opportunity spurned. (And yes we didn't lose, and yes it's an improvement on Cardiff and Reading, but that's setting the bar too low). Dr Tony is clearly giving SB the benefit of the doubt, and the fixtures on the horizon in September are clearly winnable.  We should be comfortably in the upper echelons of this league by the end of September.  If not, it will be without doubt time for another change at the top...

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #5046 on: August 26, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »
Currently in 17th

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5047 on: August 26, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »
if you're going with Bunn in that 3rd team can I suggest Elphick and fat Ross for the gaps.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5048 on: August 26, 2017, 04:05:02 PM »
He still behaves as though his career began with this season's game against Hull.  The dissatisfaction of the fans with him goes back to the previous 36 games he was in charge.  Vultures circling is right out of the DOL fickle fans playbook.

He was talking about the press not the fans with the 'vultures' comment.

In your opinion he is but it actually doesn't matter.  Unless he lives in a cave he'll know that anything the press have said is only a reflection of places like this forum so he'll know full well that fans have shared the concerns.  To dismiss them as ridiculous nonsense and use phrases like circling vultures is, whether he intends it or not, dismissing the opinions of fans.  Lots of what he's said since Norwich has felt like "ha, see I know more about football than you do so shut up" and again that isn't just aimed at the press.  You won't read it that way because you've been supportive of him and think those of us who have criticised him are wrong so he's just reflecting your own view when he comes out with this.

And despite the endless criticism, i've not heard any 'Bruce Out' chants from the stands home or away. Quite telling really.

Unless it goes tits up half way through the game or the team is going through a prolonged bad spell, you very rarely get chants for the manager to go.  The fans are too wrapped up in the game.  Most fans pay hard earned money to go and watch their team and want them to do well.  There is usually encouragement to the end.  The last place you get reaction against the manager is at the ground.  It is after the game when fans start to analyse the performances that they react, which is right because you do not want knee-jerk reaction to be the driving force behind a decision.  So, in my opinion, your comment is not "quite telling".  The first sign of dissatisfaction is prolonged quietness of the crowd.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5049 on: August 26, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Yes look how long it took for the fans to react to Lambert.
Any one hear protests against RDM?
Silly comment.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5050 on: August 26, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
He still behaves as though his career began with this season's game against Hull.  The dissatisfaction of the fans with him goes back to the previous 36 games he was in charge.  Vultures circling is right out of the DOL fickle fans playbook.

In your opinion he is but it actually doesn't matter.  Unless he lives in a cave he'll know that anything the press have said is only a reflection of places like this forum so he'll know full well that fans have shared the concerns.  To dismiss them as ridiculous nonsense and use phrases like circling vultures is, whether he intends it or not, dismissing the opinions of fans.  Lots of what he's said since Norwich has felt like "ha, see I know more about football than you do so shut up" and again that isn't just aimed at the press.  You won't read it that way because you've been supportive of him and think those of us who have criticised him are wrong so he's just reflecting your own view when he comes out with this.

And despite the endless criticism, i've not heard any 'Bruce Out' chants from the stands home or away. Quite telling really.

Unless it goes tits up half way through the game or the team is going through a prolonged bad spell, you very rarely get chants for the manager to go.  The fans are too wrapped up in the game.  Most fans pay hard earned money to go and watch their team and want them to do well.  There is usually encouragement to the end.  The last place you get reaction against the manager is at the ground.  It is after the game when fans start to analyse the performances that they react, which is right because you do not want knee-jerk reaction to be the driving force behind a decision.  So, in my opinion, your comment is not "quite telling".  The first sign of dissatisfaction is prolonged quietness of the crowd.

When the crowd at the games turn against the manager, then he's in trouble. The home and away crowd have been supportive so far and for me that says a lot.

« Reply #5051 on: August 26, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
The trouble is we are going to have to spend a lot of money when/if we go up because Brucie's Aged Pensioners (BAPs) will need replacing .
Unless we have a rich seam of youngsters coming along we will need to spend big on replacement BAPs

The problem is and somebody else mentioned it, we only have 2 or 3 players that are PL quality and with the price now being paid for average players, we will not be able to afford to buy the quality of player and the numbers required.  With new players, come big contracts and unless you can almost guarantee staying up, it is a massive financial risk to the club.  That is why I have been against the gathering of Bruce's OAPs.  Teams that have gone up and stayed up have generally had 6 or 7 players that could hack it in the PL so that they only needed added quality in a few key positions.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #5052 on: August 26, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
A good job someone in Chigago put a guy, who actually attends games , right. Away with you travelling to games paying for tickets and having the temerity to voice your observations.

« Reply #5053 on: August 26, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »

When the crowd at the games turn against the manager, then he's in trouble. The home and away crowd have been supportive so far and for me that says a lot.

Your first point is spot one but your second point is just repeating what you said before, not really a comment on what I said.  Clubs that are generally well run and progress generally spot regression before the 'manager out' chants start.  A good example of this was Southampton when they replaced Adkins.  If you wait to hit rock-bottom, the climb back is so much harder. 

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #5054 on: August 26, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »
As it stands we are 19th. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal