collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113036 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5025 on: August 26, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
Surely nobody believes for one minute that Steve Bruce either takes any notice of criticism on the internet or canvasses opinion from those of us sat at our keyboards. I hear his name being sung at the matches by the people who go to the games though.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5026 on: August 26, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
30 odd thousand Villa fans turn up at Villa Park. I'd imagine the overwhelming majority don't know we exist on here, so I doubt the manager pays too much heed.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5027 on: August 26, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
Since this www business took off you no longer see people with those 'REPENT', 'THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH', 'GOLF SALE' etc signs, they're all on the internet.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #5028 on: August 26, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
His refusal to acknowledge the crappy performances of last season and the huge expense of assembling the squad is increasingly annoying.  The Bristol Game had some positive signs - some in-game management even if it was to correct a fairly obvious error,  getting back into the game after going behind, and the occasional outbreak of some decent football.  But it doesn't mean he or the club have turned any corners.   There were also plenty of negative signs, such as his continued over-cautious approach to away games, changing a successful team and shape,  and some sloppy defending.  Good managers make 2+2=5. With our squad simply making 2+2=4 should be more than sufficient to get us in the play offs.  Bruce isn't achieving even that at the moment.

I think he's done just enough in the last couple of games for Dr. Tony to give him a similar amount of time to RDM, about 10-11 games into the season.  He'll have had effectively a full season of games by then.  If he's averaging 1.5 to 1.7 points a game for this season by then and we're in or near the play-offs, and playing some good stuff, I think he'll be given the benefit of the doubt.  That said, he'll need two points per game to get that average between now and October.   I'm not convinced he's capable of that.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #5029 on: August 26, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
I like Steve Bruce but think he's a poor manager. The problem with starting afresh is finding the right person available at the right time. He's also been allowed to build his own team pretty much. A new manager would want to do the same.

Sadly we need to let him run with it until it's so obvious that he's failing that there's no other choice.

My hope is that we can struggle into sixth place and somehow squeeze through the play-offs before getting a new manager.

Incidentally, I was chatting to the chief executive of s football league club yesterday who said every manager is paranoid, thinking everybody is plotting against them. I think Steve is going down that road.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5030 on: August 26, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
There was some very interesting stats after last night's game on sky. Only John Gregory has a better win ratio in recent years 43% compared to Bruce's 42%.Staggering really when you consider some of the shite he's served up since taking the job. He's definitely bought himself some time after the last 3 results. I'm still not convinced he's gonna get us promoted but I'm thinking with Snodgrass coming in and Kodja set for a return... maybe just maybe it's our year.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5031 on: August 26, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
There was some very interesting stats after last night's game on sky. Only John Gregory has a better win ratio in recent years 43% compared to Bruce's 42%.Staggering really when you consider some of the shite he's served up since taking the job. He's definitely bought himself some time after the last 3 results. I'm still not convinced he's gonna get us promoted but I'm thinking with Snodgrass coming in and Kodja set for a return... maybe just maybe it's our year.

Well we're in the Championship, so ideally our win percentage should be higher than under anybody in the Premier League.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #5032 on: August 26, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »
What doesn't sit well with me is the simple fact that he doesn't seem to have a clue on his ideal starting eleven.
We don't need to be changing the side dependent on who we play, we let the opposition do that.
Ideal starting eleven everyone?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #5033 on: August 26, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »

Well we're in the Championship, so ideally our win percentage should be higher than under anybody in the Premier League.

And the stat was BEFORE the game, if I remember rightly.

After another non-win his % should have gone down.

We should consider like for like. What were previous managers' % win rates when in the 2nd division?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5034 on: August 26, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »

Quite right I hadn't thought of that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:38:59 PM by The Edge »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5035 on: August 26, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
I mean our best win percentages in the PL get top six in that division, so replicating that down here would get us the play-offs (just). Now I would probably take the play-offs at this stage, but for what we've spent and, frankly, who we are, that's not ideal.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #5036 on: August 26, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
He won't be sacked until it's too late for a new manager to rescue the season.  Such is the pathetic self serving shambles at the top. 

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5037 on: August 26, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
He won't be sacked until it's too late for a new manager to rescue the season.  Such is the pathetic self serving shambles at the top.
I think you are right, the club looks no better organized than the later Lerner years.
We can't even organize match ticket sales.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5038 on: August 26, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
Three centre backs to make us more solid according to Bruce. Our attempts to plsy it last season were car crash esque, so how he thought last night was the chance it again beggared belief. There was no way Samba or Terry were signed to play three at the back either. At least he recognised his fuck up this time before they scored and changed it.

I'm not sure how our players are supposed to get on the same wavelength if the manager keeps throwing in these kamikaze brain farts. I'm dreading to see how he attempts to fit in Snodgrass into the side.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #5039 on: August 26, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
Well it should be Snodgrass in for Elmo. But seeing as Elmo is another one of Brucie love children I wouldn't be surprised to see Green get dropped instead and Snodgrass played in a position he dislikes on the left.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal