collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114486 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4920 on: August 24, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »
With the resources at his disposal and the time he has been given, he should be going into every game expecting to win.

I'm sure Barcelona and Real Madrid expect to win every game as well but they don't.

They probably win more than half a dozen away games a season though.

Well they would do, Barcelona have had Messi, Suarez and Neymar playing for them up front. Like I said, they expect to win every game, but they don't. We're not quite in a position to be expecting to win every game.

I think we are, or at least we should be.

Of course we won't actually win them all but we should be going in to them with the mentality that we will, if the team applies itself correctly. 

For too long the mentality around Aston Villa has been one of, "as long as we don't lose it's a job well done" - 10 years ago that was games against, Man U and Arsenal, then it started to include Liverpool and Everton, then most of the Prem and I'll be fucked if it starts to include shit heaps like Bristol City.

We should go down there tomorrow thinking "this lot are crap - the only unknown about tonight's match is how many we'll win by" and get about them accordingly.
Yep. I like this. Nail. Head. Hit.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #4921 on: August 24, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
With the resources at his disposal and the time he has been given, he should be going into every game expecting to win.

I'm sure Barcelona and Real Madrid expect to win every game as well but they don't.

They probably win more than half a dozen away games a season though.

Well they would do, Barcelona have had Messi, Suarez and Neymar playing for them up front. Like I said, they expect to win every game, but they don't. We're not quite in a position to be expecting to win every game.

I think we are, or at least we should be.

Of course we won't actually win them all but we should be going in to them with the mentality that we will, if the team applies itself correctly. 

For too long the mentality around Aston Villa has been one of, "as long as we don't lose it's a job well done" - 10 years ago that was games against, Man U and Arsenal, then it started to include Liverpool and Everton, then most of the Prem and I'll be fucked if it starts to include shit heaps like Bristol City.

We should go down there tomorrow thinking "this lot are crap - the only unknown about tonight's match is how many we'll win by" and get about them accordingly.
Yep. I like this. Nail. Head. Hit.

Agreed. Only by doing this, the opposition start thinking "Aston Villa, we'll probably lose this one"

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4922 on: August 24, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
He's admitted he's hopeful about Snodgrass and also that he's interested in the Arsenal chain smoker.

I really don't understand his squad building. He's going to have a few very unhappy players.
We do not need more!! We need to get what we've got working better ... and covering obvious gaps like LB cover.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #4923 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
For me Bruce is on borrowed time .........
1) Does he really have a plan?
2) Why keep signing players in same areas?
3) Too many favourites still
4) Having a go at the fans
Afraid if we lose tomorrow and Davis does not start then it should be bye bye

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4924 on: August 24, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »
For me Bruce is on borrowed time .........
1) Does he really have a plan?
2) Why keep signing players in same areas?
3) Too many favourites still
4) Having a go at the fans
Afraid if we lose tomorrow and Davis does not start then it should be bye bye
Of course Davis will start if fit.

Lots of questions still to be answered but this is an odd post on the back of two comprehensive victories

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #4925 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:20 PM »
We have had one win really ....you need to discount the League Cup really

Was there a need for Bruce to have a go at the fans after one win? No we have suffered some dross
Gabby ...whats the point? He is a favourite
Signings ....Snodgrass? Surely other areas need greater attention with the budget
Plan? Would Davis have played had Gabby or Hogan been fit?

Bruce is on borrowed time with the fans especially if we lose tomorrow

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4926 on: August 24, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »
Do we discount the cup when we get embarrassed against 3rd division and 4th division sides?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4927 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
Do we discount the cup when we get embarrassed against 3rd division and 4th division sides?

Maybe we should also discount the Norwich result as well because they've got a new manager and something or other.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4928 on: August 24, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »
My worry is, if we play Davis and the rest of the young guys and we lose easily, where do we go from there?

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #4929 on: August 24, 2017, 08:23:46 PM »
I wouldn't want him sacked based on losing tomorrow. After the last week, the manner of performance will be more telling. If we lose but we're trying to win, these things happen. Or so I vaguely remember.

But if we don't win when we've clearly had no intention of trying too hard to, that's different. Then, he's either learned nothing, or he's bottling it. In either case he might as well fuck off now.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4930 on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
But what if "we keep trying to win", with the players we all clamour for playing in the positions we want, and we keep losing?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I can't be the only person thinking about it.

It feels like we've gone too far down the road, where only a complete 180° turn will do. We need a long run of wins to repair the damage done. Draws against the likes of Bristol City aren't going to do it.

24 hours from now we might have some of the answers.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #4931 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
I don't think I'm alone on here in thinking that our squad now contains more than enough quality to be able to roundly see off most opposition in this division.

Fortune favours the brave. Anonymity awaits the timid.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #4932 on: August 24, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
It looks as though our irrational exuberance of the past week is being replaced by grim reality.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #4933 on: August 24, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
All the numb fucker has to do is approach the game in the same manner as last week, shirley that can't be too difficult.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #4934 on: August 24, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »
It looks as though our irrational exuberance of the past week is being replaced by grim reality.

I'm still hopeful. Maybe leopards really can change their spots.

I've had enough of grim. I want some glory.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal