collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113785 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4800 on: August 21, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
I'm not sure we watched the same game. Norwich had a ten minute spell, but no more than that.

If you're winning then the opposition can switch the ball left to right as much as they like. As soon as they stepped in our half, they were pressed and recycled it.

A long ball and Hutton napping was the undoing.

I was watching a bit of Goals on Sunday yesterday, Hasslebank was the guest, they were discussing possession stats. Hasslebank stated that possession for possession's sake is meaningless if you are losing a game, there has to be an end product to it.  Norwich offered little end product where we with our 37% possession had 20 shots, 8 on target and the 4 goals of course.   6 or 7 wouldn't have flattered us such was our domination.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #4801 on: August 21, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »
I don't think you can blame Bruce for transfers last season really. Blame stems from the club again with the whole unrealistic "promotion or bust" ethic last season. Both RDM and Bruce probably had players in mind they wished to bring in that weren't available at the time and were never going to get the time to "build" a squad. When you have a just a season to transform an awful Premiership side into a Championship promotion side  you're not ever going to get your 1st choice players all the time

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #4802 on: August 21, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
  My guess is that he will put out the better team on Tuesday and keep his old sweats XI for Friday.  Not because it is the sensible thing to do but because his ego was stung last week and he wants to re-establish his Bruce Knows Best attitude.  Like Eric Morecambe telling Andre Previn how to play the piano.

I would imagine Tony would sack him on the spot if he changes it back to a team and system that cant win Footballmatches. Would he be that stupid?Hes put himself under massive pressure with his post match "nonsense " comments and digs at the fans. 

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #4803 on: August 21, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
I'm not sure we watched the same game. Norwich had a ten minute spell, but no more than that.

If you're winning then the opposition can switch the ball left to right as much as they like. As soon as they stepped in our half, they were pressed and recycled it.

I was watching a bit of Goals on Sunday yesterday, Hasslebank was the guest, they were discussing possession stats. Hasslebank stated that possession for possession's sake is meaningless if you are losing a game, there has to be an end product to it.  Norwich offered little end product where we with our 37% possession had 20 shots, 8 on target and the 4 goals of course.   6 or 7 wouldn't have flattered us such was our domination.

I don't think any of us are in doubt about that after witnessing Lambert's final few months.

That being said, you obviously can't go too far in the other direction - I think the graph posted with this tweet is pretty compelling:

https://twitter.com/zonal_marking/status/869175569786830848?lang=en

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4804 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
I'm surprised that someone collects possession stats from the bottom divisions in England and Scotland.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #4805 on: August 21, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
To shift a bot from the post-match presser into here another bit which I think we're going to hear from him a lot was the "there's a myth that I've spent loads of money" line.  He's technically correct in that he we've possibly made a profit on transfers but that's not really a valuable point to make because it ignores the fact that the only player he's sold that I suspect he didn't want rid of was Baker.

There's no other club in this league who could make the best part of £30m over 2 windows without selling players they didn't want to.  On top of that wages for his signings will have added to the wage bill not reduced it so on both counts the idea that he's not had any money to spend and he's had to wheel and deal (which is what he's trying to suggest) is very misleading.

Fair points but he does have a historical knack of getting lots of money for seemingly underperforming players.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4806 on: August 21, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
I don't think any of us are in doubt about that after witnessing Lambert's final few months.

That being said, you obviously can't go too far in the other direction - I think the graph posted with this tweet is pretty compelling:

Did you really need a graph to tell you that the more possession of the ball you have the more likely it is you'll score and the less likely it is the opposition will score?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4807 on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
  My guess is that he will put out the better team on Tuesday and keep his old sweats XI for Friday.  Not because it is the sensible thing to do but because his ego was stung last week and he wants to re-establish his Bruce Knows Best attitude.  Like Eric Morecambe telling Andre Previn how to play the piano.

I would imagine Tony would sack him on the spot if he changes it back to a team and system that cant win Footballmatches. Would he be that stupid?Hes put himself under massive pressure with his post match "nonsense " comments and digs at the fans.

He was already under pressure, hence the comments.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #4808 on: August 21, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »

The day I go to a match and worry about what percentage of possession we have is the day i'll hang up my football watching spectacles.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #4809 on: August 21, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

Did you really need a graph to tell you that the more possession of the ball you have the more likely it is you'll score and the less likely it is the opposition will score?

I don't know, didn't the FA spend a fair few decades thinking the exact opposite?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4810 on: August 21, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
With every sincere respect TV we were never shitting ourselves in the second half against Norwich nor were we ever going to be shitting ourselves.  The sea change that happened in the second half was as significant as that of the first half.  The first half was a lightning bolt of us taking the game to the opposition.  It was breathtaking to watch after all the stumbling and missing we have endured under RDM and SB.  The second half was probably better in its own way because we DIDN'T sit back on the lead and grind out the victory.  Norwich scored twice but we held our nerve and scored two more.  It's the scoring of the two more that casts that game in stone.

Now though, what happens next?  Does Bruce go back into smug mode having won a game and play his "sprinkling of youngsters" in the Wigan game which should be easy or save them for the real test against Bristol on Friday?  My guess is that he will put out the better team on Tuesday and keep his old sweats XI for Friday.  Not because it is the sensible thing to do but because his ego was stung last week and he wants to re-establish his Bruce Knows Best attitude.  Like Eric Morecambe telling Andre Previn how to play the piano.

Brian I said on another day it's 2-2 and we are shitting ourselves waiting for the inevitable. I never said we were shitting ourselves against Norwich. They never took their chances. We took ours and we won the game. But we took out foot off the pedal and allowed them twice to get back into the game. It's could have ended up a disappointing afternoon.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #4811 on: August 21, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
Norwich didn't have many chances as far as I saw. I wouldn't say they didn't take them, they scored 2  out of 3 on target.

We hit the bar twice, missed 2 one on one's, Green missed a sitter and the keeper pulled off one good save. Fair to say 6 wouldn't have flattered us.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4812 on: August 21, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
With every sincere respect TV we were never shitting ourselves in the second half against Norwich nor were we ever going to be shitting ourselves.  The sea change that happened in the second half was as significant as that of the first half.  The first half was a lightning bolt of us taking the game to the opposition.  It was breathtaking to watch after all the stumbling and missing we have endured under RDM and SB.  The second half was probably better in its own way because we DIDN'T sit back on the lead and grind out the victory.  Norwich scored twice but we held our nerve and scored two more.  It's the scoring of the two more that casts that game in stone.

Now though, what happens next?  Does Bruce go back into smug mode having won a game and play his "sprinkling of youngsters" in the Wigan game which should be easy or save them for the real test against Bristol on Friday?  My guess is that he will put out the better team on Tuesday and keep his old sweats XI for Friday.  Not because it is the sensible thing to do but because his ego was stung last week and he wants to re-establish his Bruce Knows Best attitude.  Like Eric Morecambe telling Andre Previn how to play the piano.

Brian I said on another day it's 2-2 and we are shitting ourselves waiting for the inevitable. I never said we were shitting ourselves against Norwich. They never took their chances. We took ours and we won the game. But we took out foot off the pedal and allowed them twice to get back into the game. It's could have ended up a disappointing afternoon.

We could also have been six up by the time they got out of their own half.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4813 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »

I don't think we took our foot off the pedal, if anything we switched off for both their goals.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4814 on: August 21, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »

I don't think we took our foot off the pedal, if anything we switched off for both their goals.

Hutton certainly switched off for the first.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal