collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113241 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4785 on: August 20, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »
It's an issue if you're surrendering territory at the same time and we didn't.

I was surprised by those possession stats, as it didn't really appear that they had that much of the ball watcung the game live.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #4786 on: August 20, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »
Those BBC possession stats always seem a bit dodgy to me

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4787 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »
Zero chance we'll win at Bristol City on Saturday.

Now I know Aston Villa are magical and perhaps by 9pm Saturday  evening it might seem so but not even Ron Saunders could make us win at Ashton Gate on Saturday.  PS am I right that the last time we played at Bristol on a Friday we won at Rovers  3rd round of the FA Cup before sponsorship

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4788 on: August 20, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »

Now I know Aston Villa are magical and perhaps by 9pm Saturday  evening it might seem so but not even Ron Saunders could make us win at Ashton Gate on Saturday.  PS am I right that the last time we played at Bristol on a Friday we won at Rovers  3rd round of the FA Cup before sponsorship

I think you could be right there.  I know I was at it and nearly never made it, we got stuck in a jam on the M5 just south of Brum.  They had just kicked off as we got in.  Didn't Sid get the winner early on?

Offline orkneyvilla

« Reply #4789 on: August 20, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »
I've got a feeling we won 1-0 at Bristol City with Andy Blair getting the winner ? Don't know if it was a Saturday though.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4790 on: August 20, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »

I was surprised by those possession stats, as it didn't really appear that they had that much of the ball watcung the game live.
Watching the game Norwich had lot of possession. There were times when they had the ball for some  minutes at a time until they gave it to Jerome who nicely gave it away.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #4791 on: August 20, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »

That is the last one I recall,  2-1 in the 1980 FA cup run.

I think the win at Bristol City orkneyvilla refers to was a Saturday in the cup in 1982, though I can't remember if it was Blair who scored

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4792 on: August 20, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
1982 it was Shaw who scored.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4793 on: August 21, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »
Those BBC possession stats always seem a bit dodgy to me

The first half was excellent and we deserved to be at minimum 2 goals up. For most of the second half it was them and we scored twice against the run of play. I'm glad we scored because on another day it's 2-2 and we are all sitting there shitting ourselves waiting for the inevitable. The second half concerns me a lot. A better side than Norwich might not have been so charitable.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4794 on: August 21, 2017, 07:05:28 AM »
I'm not sure we watched the same game. Norwich had a ten minute spell, but no more than that.

If you're winning then the opposition can switch the ball left to right as much as they like. As soon as they stepped in our half, they were pressed and recycled it.

A long ball and Hutton napping was the undoing.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4795 on: August 21, 2017, 07:24:32 AM »
With every sincere respect TV we were never shitting ourselves in the second half against Norwich nor were we ever going to be shitting ourselves.  The sea change that happened in the second half was as significant as that of the first half.  The first half was a lightning bolt of us taking the game to the opposition.  It was breathtaking to watch after all the stumbling and missing we have endured under RDM and SB.  The second half was probably better in its own way because we DIDN'T sit back on the lead and grind out the victory.  Norwich scored twice but we held our nerve and scored two more.  It's the scoring of the two more that casts that game in stone.

Now though, what happens next?  Does Bruce go back into smug mode having won a game and play his "sprinkling of youngsters" in the Wigan game which should be easy or save them for the real test against Bristol on Friday?  My guess is that he will put out the better team on Tuesday and keep his old sweats XI for Friday.  Not because it is the sensible thing to do but because his ego was stung last week and he wants to re-establish his Bruce Knows Best attitude.  Like Eric Morecambe telling Andre Previn how to play the piano.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4796 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:47 AM »
Surely he will play the same line up against Bristol. But there again if Gabbys fit.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4797 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Oh I see, no when I said 'no plan' I meant in the broader sense. It all looked a bit 'knock it up to Kevin Davies, who knocks it down to Kevin Nolan' to me. Which, like I say, is fine when it works, but doesn't inspire confidence to me.

We had 20 shots on goal, scored 4, should have had more, scored some very good goals and played some decent football but it was all 'knock it up to Kevin Davies'?. Still, that 19 year old did well eh?

I guess there's just no pleasing some people.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4798 on: August 21, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »

Watching the game Norwich had lot of possession. There were times when they had the ball for some  minutes at a time until they gave it to Jerome who nicely gave it away.

He's a shockingly poor player , isn't he? He even fluffed it when he tried to fish the ball out of our net for a quick restart when they pulled it back to 2-1. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't start with Oliveira, who looked far more of a player when he came on.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4799 on: August 21, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
To shift a bot from the post-match presser into here another bit which I think we're going to hear from him a lot was the "there's a myth that I've spent loads of money" line.  He's technically correct in that he we've possibly made a profit on transfers but that's not really a valuable point to make because it ignores the fact that the only player he's sold that I suspect he didn't want rid of was Baker.

There's no other club in this league who could make the best part of £30m over 2 windows without selling players they didn't want to.  On top of that wages for his signings will have added to the wage bill not reduced it so on both counts the idea that he's not had any money to spend and he's had to wheel and deal (which is what he's trying to suggest) is very misleading.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal