collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113957 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4755 on: August 20, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »
Just delaying the inevitable imo. We still couldn't keep the ball as the stats show and the goals  were welcome but having to score 3 to win at home? I hope Nan's hair has tripped over some winning formula by accident but i think its more likely we've finally found a team as bad as us.

Yet they beat QPR the other day who in turn beat Hull yesterday. This is all typical of the start of the season, while teams are still settling into it so we shouldn't dismiss it, a win is a win.

Of course, it is early days. I just think its unlikely we'll be scoring 4 every game so we have to stop shipping them at the other end and keeping possession better

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #4756 on: August 20, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
I said he 'should've' been sacked for unprofessionalism. And, to be honest, apart from one half against Hull, he's done nothing this season. And as soon as he drops out, we look interesting.

It's mental to expect Davis to do that every week, of course. Can't be as mental as to keep playing Gabby when he's obviously never getting it back.

Agree and it is why I would still look to bring in a Gallagher from Southampton.  Yesterday showed just how much we need a physical presence up front, but as you say relying on Davis to do it week-in, week-out is unrealistic. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #4757 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
I would use Gabby as an impact sub against a tiring defence, give him 20/30 minutes, resting Davis. RHM or whoever is starting the game.

We need Agbonlahor gone.  I'd much rather see the likes of RHM and O'Hare used ahead of him.  I'm just hoping that he hasn't got an option to extend his contract at the end of the season allowing him to darken our door for yet another season. 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4758 on: August 20, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Just delaying the inevitable imo. We still couldn't keep the ball as the stats show and the goals  were welcome but having to score 3 to win at home? I hope Nan's hair has tripped over some winning formula by accident but i think its more likely we've finally found a team as bad as us.

Yet they beat QPR the other day who in turn beat Hull yesterday. This is all typical of the start of the season, while teams are still settling into it so we shouldn't dismiss it, a win is a win.

Of course, it is early days. I just think its unlikely we'll be scoring 4 every game so we have to stop shipping them at the other end and keeping possession better

They had more possession in the way we used to under Lambert, totally ineffective and in the wrong half of the pitch.

We may have had less of the ball but we were far more effective with it, I felt we actually controlled the whole game yesterday. Both of their goals came out of the blue a bit, and we responded both times by going on the attack, which was a nice surprise.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4759 on: August 20, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Have to say I disagree. I thought they were two sides without too much of a plan or a strategy or anything really - they were just sort of in general areas running generally forwards and backwards. Which is fine, when it works, but it felt a bit haphazard.

Better than Lambert's flaccid, useless 'possession' football though, for sure.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4760 on: August 20, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
We need to be careful here.

For Davis v Gabby you can go back to Delfouneso v Gabby, and a few more besides.

Let's not put too much pressure on these young guys. We could have put almost any team out against Norwich and not had a problem. We've been doing it since 1992.

I would like to see the same team (minus Hutton for Brea?) against Bristol City, and see how they get on.

I loved the performance, and result. But it was one game. At home to Norwich City.

Gabby should be a useful sub this season, one goal and one assist in two games isn't bad. Davis has a lot of potential as he can bring others into the play, Kodjia for all his other qualities won't do that. Tough one for Bruce to figure out. JPA was never the same player after a serious ankle injury or Darren Bent...

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4761 on: August 20, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
Have to say I disagree. I thought they were two sides without too much of a plan or a strategy or anything really - they were just sort of in general areas running generally forwards and backwards. Which is fine, when it works, but it felt a bit haphazard.

Better than Lambert's flaccid, useless 'possession' football though, for sure.

I think it was clear that the plan was to build off Davis and get runners from wide and midfield to support him, it worked as we scored 4 and made several other decent chances.

You would think we lost the game yesterday rather than win convincingly reading some of the almost grudging reaction on here. It was my little grandson's first game yesterday and so me and his dad were even more delighted that the team put on such an encouraging show.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4762 on: August 20, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
I wondered when that kind of comment was going to appear.

I don't mean to pick on you, Chris (but while we're here...!), but it is fair to say that you are known for urging caution after defeats, looking at the longer-term rather than the jerking the knee after a bad day. However, it seems to me that if judging the long-term is sensible when done in a positive manner (i.e. looking for positives after losses etc.), then it strikes me as legitimate when done negatively too. I loved the match yesterday, but the fact of the result doesn't mean I have to be convinced by the style, the tactics, or the long-term trends.

It can't be judicious patience with losses but blanket joy for all wins with no discussion in the middle - that's not a consistent position, merely the opposite of some of the more ulcerous gripe-mongers we've had on here over the years. The former is probably better for you and healthier than the latter, for sure! However, it doesn't make it correct.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:18:12 PM by Monty »

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4763 on: August 20, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
I think fans, for the most part, are very happy with yesterday. You can hardly blame those that are tempering their enthusiasm, bearing in mind what has gone before it.

Should that performance be carried on through the Bristol City match then, I would guess, a lot fewer will hold back with all out praise.

Us Villa fans have been dragged through the muck and kicked in the nuts virtually week in week out for years. I'm prepared to excuse those that don't yet feel we've turned the corner, until they have a little more proof.

I long for the day when the vast majority of Villa fans are pulling in the same direction, due to a solid foundation of irrefutable progression. No one could say we are close to that yet.

Let's enjoy the win, whilst allowing people to express their, in my opinion, valid concerns. After all, we all want our club to be great again.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4764 on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
It was my little grandson's first game yesterday and so me and his dad were even more delighted that the team put on such an encouraging show.

Nice. You'll have to take him down every week now, Grandad.  ;)

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #4765 on: August 20, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »
It was nice to see us having a 'go' from the off. We'll put up with a lot as fans if the team only does that, we'll forgive a defeat as long as we've been positive.

That's what we've missed for 10 years now. Mcleish, Lambert, Black, Bruce, Garde all were more concerned with not losing rather than forcing a win. Sherwood (I think) tried to get us on the front foot but was incapable of doing so.

We need to build on Saturday away from Villa Park. Keep positive, go for the win rather than keeping it tight.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4766 on: August 20, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
Zero chance we'll win at Bristol City on Saturday.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #4767 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »
Zero chance we'll win at Bristol City on Saturday.

Absolutely

We're playing on Friday

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4768 on: August 20, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
play like they did yesterday and that side could give anyone in the league a game - my only concern is that we are shipping too many goals and even though we dominated for large periods against Norwich, there were one or two periods when our passing reverted to recent type.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4769 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
It was a game of two halves.  One half was the Mr Smith performance that gave us goals, potential new heroes and great entertainment. The other half was the Monty half that left us feeling that the win was less of a new dawn than Bruce being forced to play young players and basking in the afterglow of a fluke.

I am very happy after the Norwich game, especially after the coming good of young players but I will not stop worrying until we see what Bruce and the club does next.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal