collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113667 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4740 on: August 20, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
He's something of a lucky manager. He stumbled across this selection today due to injury and reluctance to play roly poly gate guy. He made the most of it but now needs to reach those heights more consistently.

There's something to be said for the enforced change making to somehow stumble upon your best team. West Ham away in '95, Townsend goes off and Johnson comes on, we hammer them 4-1 and have a season the likes of which we haven't seen since.

Let's hope history repeats itself.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4741 on: August 20, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
Talk to any Sunderland fans and they'll mention towards the end of his time there that he start throwing in he was a Newcastle fan and they didn't give him a chance line.

A bit similar to the media apparently us stating that due to McLeish coming from SHA he never got a chance even though after the protests they didn't start up again until April.

Sunderland fans couldn't give a stuff about who he supported growing up, they were just tired of the same turgid football and winless runs as we are.

It was good we won yesterday particularly in the style we did. We now need to follow it up and go on 4-5 match winning runs to really challenge for top 2. Not convinced we're going to do that though.

For a start conceding on average two a game isn't a problem I envisaged at the start of the season.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4742 on: August 20, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
He's something of a lucky manager. He stumbled across this selection today due to injury and reluctance to play roly poly gate guy. He made the most of it but now needs to reach those heights more consistently.

Having all but one of your strikers out injured is not lucky.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4743 on: August 20, 2017, 11:10:37 AM »
His interviews are becoming bizarre.  I think he has had a smugness removal.  From Tony Xia the rumours would have us believe.

When offered the usual slow full toss by his interviewer "do you think the young players made a difference?"  instead of smashing it over the boundary fence with " yes we have some fantastic young players and more to come" he made some lame bleat as though his old sweats were being criticised that we have "a sprinkling of young players".   Like they were sprinkles on a doughnut, not the engine that has produced the most watchable Villa game for months.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4744 on: August 20, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »
The pressure this week hasn't been nonsensical in any way, Bruce is in charge of the most expensively assembled Championship side ever...

Probably doesn't change too much, but without checking I reckon Middlesborough might have taken that title off us now.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4745 on: August 20, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »

It is a bit when those injuries have forced him to play an exciting young talent instead of his first choice, a lazy fat old has-been who should've been sacked for unprofessionalism.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #4746 on: August 20, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
We start the season with Jedi, Kodjia, Grealish and Adomah out:

"Deal with it we're meant to have a squad"

Bruce tries different approaches before finding the most positive attacking performance in two seasons:

"Lucky manager"

How about a bit of balance?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #4747 on: August 20, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
The pressure this week hasn't been nonsensical in any way, Bruce is in charge of the most expensively assembled Championship side ever...

Probably doesn't change too much, but without checking I reckon Middlesborough might have taken that title off us now.

And are we counting Gollini, Tshibola, McCormack etc? It's not his fault we spent badly last summer

Online Monty

« Reply #4748 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:18 AM »
We start the season with Jedi, Kodjia, Grealish and Adomah out:

"Deal with it we're meant to have a squad"

Bruce tries different approaches before finding the most positive attacking performance in two seasons:

"Lucky manager"

How about a bit of balance?

Both can be true. And I give him credit for lots of the signings, actually, so I'm not trying to hate on him completely. Just in this particular instance, Davis vs. Gabby, he has rather stumbled across a solution more by luck than design.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4749 on: August 20, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

It is a bit when those injuries have forced him to play an exciting young talent instead of his first choice, a lazy fat old has-been who should've been sacked for unprofessionalism.

Gabby was overweight, he isn't now. He has been lazy but not so far this season.

We would be mental to think that a inexperienced 19 year old can perform to that standard throughout the grind of a Championship season without injury or dips in form. He has to be used sensibly so keeping Gabby interested and motivated is also in our interest. I would love to think that we could manage without him but common sense suggests we will need to call on him.

One thing I will say in Bruce's favour is that he has shown a willingness to keep players in the side if they have performed well but we have a game on Tuesday as well so there will need to be some use of the squad to ensure we are competitive in both.

Online Monty

« Reply #4750 on: August 20, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
I said he 'should've' been sacked for unprofessionalism. And, to be honest, apart from one half against Hull, he's done nothing this season. And as soon as he drops out, we look interesting.

It's mental to expect Davis to do that every week, of course. Can't be as mental as to keep playing Gabby when he's obviously never getting it back.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4751 on: August 20, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
We need to be careful here.

For Davis v Gabby you can go back to Delfouneso v Gabby, and a few more besides.

Let's not put too much pressure on these young guys. We could have put almost any team out against Norwich and not had a problem. We've been doing it since 1992.

I would like to see the same team (minus Hutton for Brea?) against Bristol City, and see how they get on.

I loved the performance, and result. But it was one game. At home to Norwich City.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #4752 on: August 20, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
Just delaying the inevitable imo. We still couldn't keep the ball as the stats show and the goals  were welcome but having to score 3 to win at home? I hope Nan's hair has tripped over some winning formula by accident but i think its more likely we've finally found a team as bad as us.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #4753 on: August 20, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »
I would use Gabby as an impact sub against a tiring defence, give him 20/30 minutes, resting Davis. RHM or whoever is starting the game.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4754 on: August 20, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
Just delaying the inevitable imo. We still couldn't keep the ball as the stats show and the goals  were welcome but having to score 3 to win at home? I hope Nan's hair has tripped over some winning formula by accident but i think its more likely we've finally found a team as bad as us.

Yet they beat QPR the other day who in turn beat Hull yesterday. This is all typical of the start of the season, while teams are still settling into it so we shouldn't dismiss it, a win is a win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal