collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113521 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4680 on: August 19, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
It would be churlish to criticise him today after he got it right. So I wont. Good selection. Good win.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #4681 on: August 19, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
Perspective is required. Consistency is more important. Hopefully this is the turning point for us. Bristol is winnable, so go and do it.

Yes, we're not going to get very far if we can only do this at home.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4682 on: August 19, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
The obvious criticism is why when Davis played like he did v Brighton did we not look at that again, instead of wasting the first three games by expecting Hogan to miraculously morph into a targetman.

But I suppose if you can't always be good, be lucky.

If Bruce has stumbled (I think that's fair, as we haven't played in a manner that suggests we were building up to that sort of result this afternoon) upon a winning formula that sees us creating as many chances as we did today, kudos.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4683 on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »
Bruce is  a genius.

Love your loyalty to him, Gary but you know what the say about broken clocks..

The good thing is, we know we have a very decent squad. It's up to Bodger Bruce to earn the right to manage them. Today was a start. Long overdue but still a start. Maybe we need to threaten him with the sack every week.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4684 on: August 19, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »
Sometimes managers do stumble onto a good thing, pretty sure both SGT1 with 3 at the back, and Brian with Super Tom behind Savo and Yorke said they kind of happened rather than were planned and they realised it worked. It's up to Bruce to stick with it and not go straight back to Hogan and/or Gabby up front etc.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4685 on: August 19, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
The obvious criticism is why when Davis played like he did v Brighton did we not look at that again, instead of wasting the first three games by expecting Hogan to miraculously morph into a targetman.

If Bruce has stumbled (I think that's fair, as we haven't played in a manner that suggests we were building up to that sort of result this afternoon) upon a winning formula that sees us creating as many chances as we did today, kudos.

Let's hope he can break the mold of recent years, whereby no sooner has a Villa manager "discovered" one thing that works, it's then head-scratchingly abandoned for another that spectacularly doesn't.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4686 on: August 19, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
One swallow does not make a summer. Or something like that. Good win though.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #4687 on: August 19, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
At least he took off Hutton when he was booked and getting ripped a new one.

We can only get out of this league by attacking, hopefully he'll see after today that it's the way to go.

Agree with Lee, one swallow does not make a Summer,  let's hope this is finally the turning point.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #4688 on: August 19, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
Indeed

But that must be one of the best performances under Bruce? If we can get a win in Friday we'll be looking a lot better

That's a massive IF with our away form and the defence looking poor. But doable

Offline KRS

« Reply #4689 on: August 19, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
If he can improve on that performance and get us playing consistently every week then none of us would be calling for his head. I hope he realises that the reason why his job is being questioned is because of the shit performances week in week out for the last 10 months not these last 3 games...if we'd have played like we did today that then this thread wouldn't even exist.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #4690 on: August 19, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »

Let's hope he can break the mold of recent years, whereby no sooner has a Villa manager "discovered" one thing that works, it's then head-scratchingly abandoned for another that spectacularly doesn't.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #4691 on: August 19, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
If he can improve on that performance and get us playing consistently every week then none of us would be calling for his head. I hope he realises that the reason why his job is being questioned is because of the shit performances week in week out for the last 10 months not these last 3 games...if we'd have played like we did today that then this thread wouldn't even exist.
That being said,  would you trust him with anymore transfers given what he has delivered with them so far?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #4692 on: August 19, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
Indeed

But that must be one of the best performances under Bruce? If we can get a win in Friday we'll be looking a lot better

That's a massive IF with our away form and the defence looking poor. But doable

Yes, good win today but in all honesty we need to win the 2 games next week as well to be somewhere in the region of back on track.
Good work by Hourahane, I was mocking his goalscoring record recently and I reckon he must have read that and was spurred on by it!

Online avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #4693 on: August 19, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »
Play like that for the next 4 games and I'll start being convinced...especially given that 3 of them are at home...(I think).
Players getting forward and getting in the box...it's not rocket science. We have pace, use it...

Offline KRS

« Reply #4694 on: August 19, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
That being said,  would you trust him with anymore transfers given what he has delivered with them so far?
Depends who the transfer targets are tbh...if it's Snodgrass and Gallagher then yes as they would be very useful additions to the squad regardless of Bruce being manager or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal