collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114390 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4605 on: August 19, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
New poster here, although a long time reader.

I wasn't a fan of Bruce becoming our manager, mainly because I think we should be setting our sites higher than just a 'one season fix' (we wish!). I have nothing against the man, I just didn't think he is what we needed after such a disastrous few seasons.

Having said that I can also understand why a new owner would see thing differently and, purely looking at the financials, want that 'quick fix'. I'm not going to knock Xia for that but I will worry if he hangs on to that notion for too long, when it's obvious to all around that it's a 'busted flush'.

Are we there yet? I think we are very close. A loss to Norwich today and I think he might be gone on Monday. A draw will, in my opinion, give another game or two. I'm hoping for a win that takes us on a long unbeaten run - but that is more based on eternal hope rather than expectation.

Either way, I don't think Xia is a stupid man, despite some of his Twitter ramblings!   He'll want to protect his investment more than he will his pride. I just hope, if the worst happens, that he learns some valuable lessons.

Sorry for the rambling first post. I'll try not to make a habit of it. I'll just finish by saying, I think we will scrape a win today. It won't be pretty, but I think we might just do it. Anything else will probably spell the end for Bruce.
Welcome to h&v. Good first post 👍

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #4606 on: August 19, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
If you want to lay blame at the feet of anyone for the decline of this great club look no further than Randy Lerner

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4607 on: August 19, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
You could argue a 4-1 win at Norwich was a more impressive QF victory then 2-0 against Smethwick.

You could. Then again losing 0-15 over three games and losing a two legged semi final to a fourth division team are the two most humiliating things to happen to Villa since I've been a fan.

Agree entirely. That wasn't really the point I was making, though.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4608 on: August 19, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
He played a part in the fact we're currently 24th in Division smegging 2. Which is totally unacceptable for Aston Villa. The QF and SF however still remain 2 of the the best Villa days i've had in over 40 years following us, that we're so shite now doesn't change how I felt leaving VP after the QF or Wembley after the SF, and nothing ever will.

Of course, that's for you. For me, sadly, the good memories are a bit spoiled because of what they led to. Maybe not all that rational, granted, but watching those highlights is ruined by seeing that fecker's gurning face pop up all the time. We'll all come to different conclusions about these things and that's fine, this is getting into very subjective territory.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #4609 on: August 19, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »
I agree with the opinion that Lambert was the reign that really cut Villa adrift at the bottom of the Premier league. Under McCleish I felt if we brought someone decent in we could recover,having high hopes for Lambert initially. Yes he worked under some ridiculous management (Fox and Faulkner) but he had time and money to spend. The odd bright spot aside we were awful with some very shaky signings. Record breaking, club-changing  shitness.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #4610 on: August 19, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
New poster here, although a long time reader.

I wasn't a fan of Bruce becoming our manager, mainly because I think we should be setting our sites higher than just a 'one season fix' (we wish!). I have nothing against the man, I just didn't think he is what we needed after such a disastrous few seasons.

Having said that I can also understand why a new owner would see thing differently and, purely looking at the financials, want that 'quick fix'. I'm not going to knock Xia for that but I will worry if he hangs on to that notion for too long, when it's obvious to all around that it's a 'busted flush'.

Are we there yet? I think we are very close. A loss to Norwich today and I think he might be gone on Monday. A draw will, in my opinion, give another game or two. I'm hoping for a win that takes us on a long unbeaten run - but that is more based on eternal hope rather than expectation.

Either way, I don't think Xia is a stupid man, despite some of his Twitter ramblings!   He'll want to protect his investment more than he will his pride. I just hope, if the worst happens, that he learns some valuable lessons.

Sorry for the rambling first post. I'll try not to make a habit of it. I'll just finish by saying, I think we will scrape a win today. It won't be pretty, but I think we might just do it. Anything else will probably spell the end for Bruce.

Good first post and welcome. 👍🏿

Offline The Edge

« Reply #4611 on: August 19, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »
If you want to lay blame at the feet of anyone for the decline of this great club look no further than Randy Lerner
Your right mate. Came in with all good intentions but ultimately fucked the club up royally

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4612 on: August 19, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
You can say lots of things, i'd be amazed if anyone didn't have fantastic days following Villa for the QF and Sf, which is the point and only point i'm making. That Sherwood turned out to be shit is totally irrelevant to those days

They were great but his later performance suggests that it was probably more about a decent set of players getting their act together rather than any major input by him. The fact that the better ones jumped ship in the summer is perhaps a sign that they knew It too.

It probably was, however it's still totally irrelevant to the enjoyment of those days.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4613 on: August 19, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a team improve so quickly and in such a short space of time than under Sherwood we went from boring rubbish to playing Liverpool of the park,

he got Benteke, Delph and Grealish playing BFR football
didn't last I know and was all to short but it was incredible at the time

Online Clampy

« Reply #4614 on: August 19, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
It wasnt the same after that drubbing down at Southampton.  It seem to kind of kill it.

Offline john e

« Reply #4615 on: August 19, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
Although with the QF, he was fortunate to be the first Villa manager since 1960 to get a home draw. We could easily have had days just as good, if not better, under previous managers with a bit more luck.

yeah that home draw did it

'Fortress Villa Park' teams tremble at the thought

Offline john e

« Reply #4616 on: August 19, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
It wasnt the same after that drubbing down at Southampton.  It seem to kind of kill it.

it was a bit of a downer

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #4617 on: August 19, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Although with the QF, he was fortunate to be the first Villa manager since 1960 to get a home draw. We could easily have had days just as good, if not better, under previous managers with a bit more luck.

yeah that home draw did it

'Fortress Villa Park' teams tremble at the thought

Well, I fancy we'd have beaten shite like Oldham and West Ham there, for starters.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4618 on: August 19, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
Cheers for the welcome, guys.

I do try to air on the positive side, when it comes to Villa, but hopefully not annoyingly so.

I am finding it hard these days though. We've taken such a battering over the last few years that I'm beginning to feel like Frank Bruno after a fight with Mike Tyson!

After 40 years of supporting the Villa though, I couldn't be without them. Whatever happens, we're a great club, with a history to be proud of, followed by the greatest fans in the world.

UP THE VILLA!

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4619 on: August 19, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »
Cheers for the welcome, guys.

I do try to air on the positive side, when it comes to Villa, but hopefully not annoyingly so.

Don't worry, we'll soon beat that positivity out of you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal