collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113204 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4560 on: August 18, 2017, 11:33:21 PM »
Garde was a difficult one to judge.

He was undoubtly dealt a bad hand in the January transfer window and I can understand why he pretty much gave up at that point and was waiting to be paid off.

We still however had a tiny chance of survival if we'd have a decent xmas period against Newcastle, West Ham, Norwich and Sunderland (8 points instead of just the 2) and yet his selections in all those games were ridiculous defensive considering we needed to go out and actually win some games. Kieron Richardson on the left wing at Norwich sticks out as an inglorious choice.

I think because he spoke more coherently in interviews than say Lambert he got a bit of an easier ride.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4561 on: August 18, 2017, 11:34:12 PM »
The abuse and ridicule of Garde I refer to Aftab is that of the club hierarchy towards him.  He is not a fool but was made to look like one by the club who threw him into the snake pit of Aston Villa threshing about in the death throes of Lerner's dumping of the club.  To describe  Garde who had scant time, no money, no backing and no new players as being inferior to the present incumbent who has wasted millions and not had the team dominate a single one of the forty games for which he has been in charge is derisory.

And we did not dominate Rotherham.  They capitulated.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #4562 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »
The abuse and ridicule of Garde I refer to Aftab is that of the club hierarchy towards him.  He is not a fool but was made to look like one by the club who threw him into the snake pit of Aston Villa threshing about in the death throes of Lerner's dumping of the club.  To describe  Garde who had scant time, no money, no backing and no new players as being inferior to the present incumbent who has wasted millions and not had the team dominate a single one of the forty games for which he has been in charge is derisory.

The media were vile to him for being foreign and not one of their mates. Arseholes.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4563 on: August 19, 2017, 01:29:47 AM »

Brian completely agree.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4564 on: August 19, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
Eric Black was even worse than Garde. Personally, I didn't like either of them. Garde was very professional and humble and used terribly by the club.  That said, I wouldn't want him to come back.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4565 on: August 19, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
Sherwood is without doubt the biggest twat ever to set foot in Villa Park, including John Terry.
You really need to meet the bloke in Upper Witton End block T2 row ? seat xx to get a good reference on twatishness.

Is he the bloke who starts complaining after about 30 secs? Thick set with thinning fair hair?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4566 on: August 19, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »
The thing about Sherwood... he delivered one of the best memories as a Villa fan down at the semi final. We also played some pretty swashbuckling stuff, even for a limited time.

In a sea of awfulness, those brief and sadly fleeting moments stand out and shine brightly. A chancer and a charlatan for sure, but football is about enjoyment and we had a smidge of that which I'm grateful for.
Totally agree. That semi final stands out for me as one of the best occasions in years. The final against Arsenal was a total no show but they upped it by several gears that day. His cockiness was his downfall. Who can forget Leicester away? 2-0 up playing  with great style and we scored two  fantastic goals. Then came his sliding doors moment. Made two unnecessary changes, they come back and won the game and went on to win the title. We wilted and we've never got back to where we were in the first half of that game. So for me Sherwood was a bright spot amongst years of doom and gloom. He had to go in the end but he did give us some rare moments of pure joy.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4567 on: August 19, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

Brian completely agree.

I agree too on this.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #4568 on: August 19, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
The thing about Sherwood... he delivered one of the best memories as a Villa fan down at the semi final. We also played some pretty swashbuckling stuff, even for a limited time.

In a sea of awfulness, those brief and sadly fleeting moments stand out and shine brightly. A chancer and a charlatan for sure, but football is about enjoyment and we had a smidge of that which I'm grateful for.
Totally agree. That semi final stands out for me as one of the best occasions in years. The final against Arsenal was a total no show but they upped it by several gears that day. His cockiness was his downfall. Who can forget Leicester away? 2-0 up playing  with great style and we scored two  fantastic goals. Then came his sliding doors moment. Made two unnecessary changes, they come back and won the game and went on to win the title. We wilted and we've never got back to where we were in the first half of that game. So for me Sherwood was a bright spot amongst years of doom and gloom. He had to go in the end but he did give us some rare moments of pure joy.

Aye he did. It all went to pot in the end, but for a short lovely moment there, we had a go, no fear just went for it. It felt exciting and refreshing after years of managers describing us the underdog to seeing someone with a bit more cockiness about him.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:41:30 AM by ciggiesnbeer »

Online The Edge

« Reply #4569 on: August 19, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »

Aye he did. It all went to pot in the end, but for a short lovely moment there, we had a go, no fear just went for it. It felt exciting and refreshing after years of managers describing us the underdog to seeing someone with a bit more cockiness about him.
I just wish Bruce would set us up to have a go. There's very  little excitement watching them nowadays.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #4570 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »

I just wish Bruce would set us up to have a go. There's very  little excitement watching them nowadays.

Agree with all of the above, well said.

Online Clampy

« Reply #4571 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »

I think he does and at the start of games we tend do but for some reason it doesn't last.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #4572 on: August 19, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
I agree with the general sentiment about Sherwood and the spark he fleetingly brought to the club, but the red flags were there even before Leicester. I remember games against Palace away and Sunderland at home before that where we were in control of proceedings, yet on both occasions, the managers of those sides made a tactical switch at half time and it completely threw us off, because he had no idea how to counter it.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4573 on: August 19, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
Sherwood was a C**T, an embarrassment.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4574 on: August 19, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
He did what was asked, and more, in his first few months. His actions during the Year of the Four Managers seem pretty close to saboutage, and I can't forgive him for that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal