collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114082 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4470 on: August 18, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
He was probably on about the media reaction this week - however, it is a truly cack handed and ill advised way of responding to rightly held criticism.  On the radio this morning Redknapp said that Nigel Clough should have been Manager of the Year last year for keeping Burton up.  Just put it into context for a second - the money we have spent compared to Burton and he kept them up.  There are no amount of excuses you can offer for our current predicament.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4471 on: August 18, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
The interview sounds like a massive "up yours" to the fans who have followed us all round the country during his tenure.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4472 on: August 18, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
Firstly, I think he should go.  The lack of tangible progress over the summer set alarm bells ringing and the start of the season has been unacceptable.  If there were signs it might come good I would suggest more patience, but there's been nothing to hang you hat on at all.

BUT, I think people are over reacting to the interview.  He is just fighting his corner and frankly if he didn't it would be worrying.

He has generally admitted the team has been poor and needs to improve (admittedly with some rose coloured spectacles at times).  But he thinks with time he will get it right.  Whilst I suspect he won't (at least not with the current coaching team) I do think it is justifiable that he says 'back off' to try and ease some pressure off both off him and the team.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #4473 on: August 18, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

He has generally admitted the team has been poor and needs to improve (admittedly with some rose coloured spectacles at times).  But he thinks with time he will get it right.  Whilst I suspect he won't (at least not with the current coaching team) I do think it is justifiable that he says 'back off' to try and ease some pressure off both off him and the team.

Other managers go into other clubs and don't need time, so poor excuse if you ask me, and anyway we don't have time as the money clock is ticking

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4474 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »
Firstly, I think he should go.  The lack of tangible progress over the summer set alarm bells ringing and the start of the season has been unacceptable.  If there were signs it might come good I would suggest more patience, but there's been nothing to hang you hat on at all.

BUT, I think people are over reacting to the interview.  He is just fighting his corner and frankly if he didn't it would be worrying.

Aye, but if he keeps having to have the conversation about the team being poor/ underperforming  - it suggests his impact in the job has been negligible.

So better to switch tack and blame the impatient fanbase. He knows this will get traction with idiot pundits and some of his mates in the media who really should know better (just how many other big clubs would have put up with the unremitting shit we have these past few years). He's in survival mode, with one eye already on the next job and how best to explain away this current failure. 'Villa fans?  They never gave him a chance, etc.' 

Pure bollocks, but most football managers morph into shape shifting political animals in these circumstances.

We've probably been too patient, if truth be told. Too quick to explain away failure, too accepting of mediocrity. Though now we aspire to be mediocre. It would be a step up.

Offline KRS

« Reply #4475 on: August 18, 2017, 04:13:26 PM »
He's definitely in survival mode and defending himself, but I wouldn't say he was having a go at the fans in that interview...it sounded more like things that had been said to him directly or in the media. He acknowledged that we deserve better results and that there would be pressure from the fans if he doesn't turn it around, but I dont think he was having a go at the Villa supporters.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4476 on: August 18, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »
There is nothing to see here, clear dig at the media.

Roll on beating Norwich tomorrow.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4477 on: August 18, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »

Other managers go into other clubs and don't need time, so poor excuse if you ask me, and anyway we don't have time as the money clock is ticking
Your comment makes no sense at all in the context of my whole post.  I clearly say he should go and I can't see him turning things round.  But I think that it is understandable that he chooses to defend himself and try to take some of the pressure out of the situation.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4478 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
Chrisw1, if sense is what you're looking for then choose another thread.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4479 on: August 18, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
Let's hope he suddenly becomes a good manager.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4480 on: August 18, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
He's been a good manager, just not for us as we speak.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4481 on: August 18, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »

Roll on beating Norwich tomorrow.
So obviously today is the eve of our win against Norwich. How exciting.:))

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4482 on: August 18, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
Let's hope he suddenly becomes a good manager.

Hope springs eternal but it already feels autumnal with westerly winds and conkers dropping off chestnut trees all over the shop.

We will not winter well with Brucey at the helm, that's for sure. Women and children first to the lifeboats.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4483 on: August 18, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

I agree.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #4484 on: August 18, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »

Your comment makes no sense at all in the context of my whole post.  I clearly say he should go and I can't see him turning things round.  But I think that it is understandable that he chooses to defend himself and try to take some of the pressure out of the situation.

Yes I realise that Chris and I wasn't challenging what you were saying, I was challenging the fact that Bruce keeps saying he needs time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal