collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113427 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4380 on: August 17, 2017, 12:34:37 AM »
This isn't going to end well is it.

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I am not getting the best out of them.

“Some of them have shied away from it and have found it difficult to get established and find the form which is the reason why we have brought them to Aston Villa.

“They have to grasp the nettle and go forward with it. They have to improve and I have help them improve.”

Er Bruce that's what managers get paid for to get the best out of the players, by that statement alone you should resign.
I'm no Bruce apologist, but I think he has a point. Most of us on this site reckoned that the likes of Hoorihan, Lansbury and Hogan were progressive, quality buys. But they all have under-performed in an area of the pitch that is vital to the success of the team. Obviously the buck stops with Bruce, as they were his buys, but he must be exasperated with how shite they have been.
It's a good point.  Hogan may be understandable but many others have underperformed.

He's also been a bit unlucky we missed so many glaring chances which could have turned a couple of the games and made a huge difference to the teams confidence.  It's not his fault green has missed open goals.

With that said the lack of progress is indefensible and I agree he should go.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #4381 on: August 17, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
I think of all our recent season's, this was the one we needed to get off  to a flyer.  Having felt pretty down since Saturday I realize the only thing that'll give me a lift is to think that Norwich is the start of our 15 game unbeaten run, it could happen

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #4382 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »
This isn't going to end well is it.

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I am not getting the best out of them.

“Some of them have shied away from it and have found it difficult to get established and find the form which is the reason why we have brought them to Aston Villa.

“They have to grasp the nettle and go forward with it. They have to improve and I have help them improve.”

Er Bruce that's what managers get paid for to get the best out of the players, by that statement alone you should resign.
I'm no Bruce apologist, but I think he has a point. Most of us on this site reckoned that the likes of Hoorihan, Lansbury and Hogan were progressive, quality buys. But they all have under-performed in an area of the pitch that is vital to the success of the team. Obviously the buck stops with Bruce, as they were his buys, but he must be exasperated with how shite they have been.
It's a good point.  Hogan may be understandable but many others have underperformed.

He's also been a bit unlucky we missed so many glaring chances which could have turned a couple of the games and made a huge difference to the teams confidence.  It's not his fault green has missed open goals.

With that said the lack of progress is indefensible and I agree he should go.

If players had put away chances, RDM would still be our manager.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4383 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I can't cope.

Is what he meant.

I think it's safe to say that he doesn't know what enormity means:

"Enormity means 'the extreme scale or seriousness of something bad or morally wrong"

Even misusing it, it still sort of works.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4384 on: August 17, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
We needed a good start to the season, we haven't had one even though Bruce has had time, money, support and a pre-season. I can't see it getting better with him. I can certainly see it getting worse. He has to go irrespective of the Norwich result, to give any new manager a fraction of what Bruce has had in the time that's left in the transfer window and the opportunity to still achieve automatic promotion for this great club and it's brilliant fans. UTV! (I'm writing this even though I hate the managerial merry go-round that we have become accustomed to, but I recognise the club and fans deserve better than its getting at the moment)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4385 on: August 17, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
reading the comments on that Guardian article , this one rings a bell

I would be amazed if Bruce got another Premier League job, the guy couldn't run a bath. He had one of the best teams in the PL to manage in terms of improvement, one of the best chairman/boards in the league, fanatical support. Oodles of money...

How did he mess it up so badly? Never rated Bruce. Stinker of a manager.

We've looked terrible for almost a full calendar year, too many good players seem to have been alienated, and others who have performed well elsewhere haven't thrived under the Bruce regime. His time was up.

Offline KRS

« Reply #4386 on: August 17, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »
Shay Given on SSN thinks "everyone needs to relax, settle down and give him time to get it right"...it really is easy for anyone outside looking in to come out with this crap.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4387 on: August 17, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Shay Given on SSN thinks "everyone needs to relax, settle down and give him time to get it right"...it really is easy for anyone outside looking in to come out with this crap.

Another mouthpiece that doesn't realise that time is what we don't have.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4388 on: August 17, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
Still here then.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #4389 on: August 17, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »
Time, time , time. Easy to say when it's not your clock that's ticking.

It's not 3 games, it's forty.

We lost more than we've won under spud. We've conceded more than we've scored under spud.

The results aren't improving.
The football isn't improving.
We are on the brink of FFP.

Please tell me what giving an extra few weeks/months is going to do that is positive?

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #4390 on: August 17, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
2 games left for Bruce for me (league games). I think the International break gives us the extra time we need to appoint the right man, I don't want it rushed.

There would then be 41/46 league games left, plenty of time to get play-offs.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4391 on: August 17, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
2 games left for Bruce for me (league games). I think the International break gives us the extra time we need to appoint the right man, I don't want it rushed.

The problem with that is that you're almost certainly leaving the new manager with 4 months using this squad with no additions (unless Bruce adds another right back or centre mid in the next week).

If we going to say that 41 games is enough still make the top 2 then I'd rather we get rid now and start looking for a replacement and have a caretaker for those 2 games (if needed) and then hope that we've got someone in with a couple of days of the window left so we can get them 1-2 players of their choosing.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #4392 on: August 17, 2017, 12:35:06 PM »

Even if we get a manager in, it is going to take them 5-6 games to get a style and formation to suit what they have inherited - even Fat Sam took his time at Palace. I don't think there's any point delaying the inevitable.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4393 on: August 17, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
For those who can stomach it the local rag has an analysis of our stats, it will not change anyone's mind but it does back up one thing I have thought myself about complaints of our long ball game - it's not tue. We are also top of the chart for crosses. There is more on our low number of shots, but bizarrely more than Wolves, below average on possession but high for crosses. It's a bugbear of mine that when things are going badly the criticism takes on a scattergun approach instead of focussing on the issues - letting in soft goals and a toothless forward line.

"When it comes to 'sending it long', Villa are nowhere near to being one of the worst culprits.

In fact, they are one of the least likely teams to play long ball football, based on the stats so far.

You see, Villa actually only hit 61 long passes on average per game, that may seem a lot, it's not.

Only Norwich and Fulham have hit less long balls than Villa have.

21 teams in the league have hit more long balls than Villa, Bolton are top of the tree with 90."

It's stating the bleedin' obvious but ultimately the only stat Bruce can be judged on is numbers of wins, losses and draws and the odds are that will do for him in the not too distant future.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #4394 on: August 17, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
A lot of other teams play with a target striker and will naturally hit the ball long towards them, because it works. Also only have 20ish% possession means you don't have the opportunity to hit the ball anywhere very often. Having a short striker who is isolated makes it very obvious when the long balls don't work too.

Crosses... interesting, only having one player in the box means those crosses need to be accurate to have much of an effect. We rarely get more than two players in the penalty area.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal