collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113446 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4365 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
This isn't going to end well is it.

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I am not getting the best out of them.

“Some of them have shied away from it and have found it difficult to get established and find the form which is the reason why we have brought them to Aston Villa.

“They have to grasp the nettle and go forward with it. They have to improve and I have help them improve.”

Er Bruce that's what managers get paid for to get the best out of the players, by that statement alone you should resign.
I'm no Bruce apologist, but I think he has a point. Most of us on this site reckoned that the likes of Hoorihan, Lansbury and Hogan were progressive, quality buys. But they all have under-performed in an area of the pitch that is vital to the success of the team. Obviously the buck stops with Bruce, as they were his buys, but he must be exasperated with how shite they have been.

There was fuck all thought put into those signings though. Get in proven performers via scouting the assist and goal scoring charts. I would be stunned if Hogan turns around his career with us. He will never be a good partner for Kodjia and he is definitely unsuitable to leading the line for us. 12m was just mental for him.
Lansbury is a non entity of a player, no presence, mobility. Wants an armchair ride free role without the graft. Lazy signing. Hourihane has disappointed the most really for me, as he has the most ability. If Bruce is to turn it around I think he needs to make him a key player. Whelan and Terry tick the experience and character box for Bruce but again there was no tactical thought put into those signings. Forcing our defensive line deeper so pressing isn't an option.

Signings should form part of an overall strategy and tactical approach on the pitch. Bruce unfortunately possesses neither.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #4366 on: August 16, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
Publicly criticism of the players is only going to go one way for me I am afraid

Offline Taylor

« Reply #4367 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I am not getting the best out of them.

“Some of them have shied away from it and have found it difficult to get established and find the form which is the reason why we have brought them to Aston Villa.

“They have to grasp the nettle and go forward with it. They have to improve and I have help them improve.”

Er Bruce that's what managers get paid for to get the best out of the players, by that statement alone you should resign.
I'm no Bruce apologist, but I think he has a point. Most of us on this site reckoned that the likes of Hoorihan, Lansbury and Hogan were progressive, quality buys. But they all have under-performed in an area of the pitch that is vital to the success of the team. Obviously the buck stops with Bruce, as they were his buys, but he must be exasperated with how shite they have been.

Biffing 60 yards at Hogans head won't help. Or shoving Hourihane on the wing. Or playing Lansbury in front of the back four. This is entirely of the managers doing.

Exactly. It's like Barcelona sticking Messi in goal and then complaining he's shit.

Kind of.
This is what I don't understand. First half against Hull Lansbury was pushed up just behind Hogan and was pretty effective. Surely Bruce would have acknowledged that and told him to carry on in that position.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #4368 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
Problem was 2nd half Hull cranked it up and pressed more and we didn't know what to do 😞

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #4369 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:01 PM »
What a ridiculous and pathetic statement. He needs to fuck off fast.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4370 on: August 16, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »
Signing Whelan and playing him in a two man midfield is pointless. Spending gazillions of pounds and not purchasing a left sided midfielder is stupid. Buying a load of old blokes and letting your younger players go leaves us with only one or two crown jewells in Kodjia and Grealish (arguably). Who, once sold, will leave us with a bankrupt transfer policy as we will be superfucked by FFP.  Bruce is a clown. I also hold Round and Wyness responsible for letting this happen.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #4371 on: August 16, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »
Problem was 2nd half Hull cranked it up and pressed more and we didn't know what to do 😞
But Bruce is a manager with a wealth of experience,  both as a recognised coach and a player under one off the most successful managers in the world. Surely he most have a clue how to cope with these situations. I just don't understand the lack of organisation.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4372 on: August 16, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
Some people have the ability to learn from their experiences, others do not.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #4373 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
Some people have the ability to learn from their experiences, others do not.
But his record would suggest he has done. Like everyone else I feel completely down and despondent about the Villa and whilst I have now succumbed to the 'Bruce out' camp I'm not entirely convinced that anyone else could do any better.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4374 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure that nobody could do worse.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4375 on: August 16, 2017, 11:01:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure that nobody could do worse.

The Doc did no worse in season 69/70, one draw two defeats and an away league cup win. However, by the end of the season we had....oh.

Offline kippaxvilla2

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4377 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:47 PM »
On the (enormous) assumption that the Daily Star knows its arse from its elbow, three games is three games too many.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4378 on: August 16, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »

He has said much the same on many occasions before.

Whenever the pronoun "it" is invoked in this type of context, the writing is on the wall.

Brucey has gone wrong. He has gone wrong in his mental tank, as have many of his predecesors and quite a few players.

"It" is driving them barmy in their droves.

It's mental, so it is. Has anybody read Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman"? The Theory of the Molecules would be your main man.

Banjaxed to bollix.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4379 on: August 16, 2017, 11:42:48 PM »
On the (enormous) assumption that the Daily Star knows its arse from its elbow, three games is three games too many.

Indeed. It'll be too late by then. Get someone in now. I don't expect us to spend Man City amounts of cash, but at least give the new incumbent time to bring in one or two... even if they aren't big money signings.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal