collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113641 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4350 on: August 16, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »
John Terry is finding it difficult to play for Aston Villa after playing for a small provincial club for 20 years is how I'm reading that one!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4351 on: August 16, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I can't cope.

Is what he meant.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4352 on: August 16, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »
"Move forward with the nettle, men."

"Move forward to where, Gaffer?"

"Just take the nettle to a place that feels right, then lump it up to Scott."

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4353 on: August 16, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
Dear oh dear.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4354 on: August 16, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
This isn't going to end well is it.

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I am not getting the best out of them.

“Some of them have shied away from it and have found it difficult to get established and find the form which is the reason why we have brought them to Aston Villa.

“They have to grasp the nettle and go forward with it. They have to improve and I have help them improve.”

Er Bruce that's what managers get paid for to get the best out of the players, by that statement alone you should resign.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #4355 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:41 PM »

Bruce said: “The enormity of Aston Villa comes into play and unfortunately at the moment I am not getting the best out of them.

“Some of them have shied away from it and have found it difficult to get established and find the form which is the reason why we have brought them to Aston Villa.

“They have to grasp the nettle and go forward with it. They have to improve and I have help them improve.”

Er Bruce that's what managers get paid for to get the best out of the players, by that statement alone you should resign.
I'm no Bruce apologist, but I think he has a point. Most of us on this site reckoned that the likes of Hoorihan, Lansbury and Hogan were progressive, quality buys. But they all have under-performed in an area of the pitch that is vital to the success of the team. Obviously the buck stops with Bruce, as they were his buys, but he must be exasperated with how shite they have been.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #4356 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »

I'm no Bruce apologist, but I think he has a point. Most of us on this site reckoned that the likes of Hoorihan, Lansbury and Hogan were progressive, quality buys. But they all have under-performed in an area of the pitch that is vital to the success of the team. Obviously the buck stops with Bruce, as they were his buys, but he must be exasperated with how shite they have been.

Biffing 60 yards at Hogans head won't help. Or shoving Hourihane on the wing. Or playing Lansbury in front of the back four. This is entirely of the managers doing.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #4357 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »

yes they have, but some of them at least have the reasonable excuse they have been played in a system which is the opposite of their strengths. Hogan springs to mind. Go ahead and look at his goal reels (of which there are many), there are maybe a couple of scores from hoofed high long balls into the box. The rest are ALL from incisive passes he latches onto or he poaches a rebound after a passing move.

Bruce's tactics are long ball or even worse trying to use Hogan as a target "big man" to latch onto headers. He is well within his rights to say "why did you hire me if you dont want to use me where I am good?"

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:32:05 PM by ciggiesnbeer »

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4358 on: August 16, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

Offline Taylor

« Reply #4359 on: August 16, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »

yes they have, but some of them at least have the reasonable excuse they have been played in a system which is the opposite of their strengths. Hogan springs to mind. Go ahead and look at his goal reels (of which there are many), there are maybe a couple of scores from hoofed high long balls into the box. The rest are ALL from incisive passes he latches onto or he poaches a rebound after a passing move.

Bruce's tactics are long ball or even worse trying to use Hogan as a target "big man" to latch onto headers. He is well within his rights to say "why did you hire me if you dont want to use me where I am good?"

I'll give you Hogan, but Lansbury and Hourihane have no such excuses.

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #4360 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #4361 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:12 PM »

I'll give you Hogan, but Lansbury and Hourihane have no such excuses.

Fair. Yeah they could use stepping up their efforts for sure.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4362 on: August 16, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
No manager in his right mind, currently employed, financially stable for life, working in the top two leagues of England will ever touch the job of AVFC manager. There, I said it, that's how hard this task is.

Right. You've said it, and in your mind you're the Omega or summat. So why exactly would the Millwall, Bolton or Barnsley managers (to name just three examples) refuse the Villa job and the associated payrise that comes with a step up in career then?

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #4363 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »
No manager in his right mind, currently employed, financially stable for life, working in the top two leagues of England will ever touch the job of AVFC manager. There, I said it, that's how hard this task is.

I was going to say that's how low we have fallen but I don't think that is the case.
When you say ever, do you mean never, ever, ever? And don't get me started on the tool remark.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4364 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »

Biffing 60 yards at Hogans head won't help. Or shoving Hourihane on the wing. Or playing Lansbury in front of the back four. This is entirely of the managers doing.

Exactly. It's like Barcelona sticking Messi in goal and then complaining he's shit.

Kind of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal