collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113211 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4230 on: August 16, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
He's got to go.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #4231 on: August 16, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
If Bruce had come into job in the Summer you could argue his case but he has been here for close to 40 games now and we have been piss poor in most of them , even when we have won. His style of football is outdated and against 2 very different sides in Cardiff and Reading we have been made to look like a plucky team from non league competing in the FA cup !!

He has to go before this season is a complete right off

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #4232 on: August 16, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I try and remain upbeat and look for positives but I'm at a loss today this is fucking desperate. I don't know whether to support Steve Bruce or punch him.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4233 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »
A Plan, Performances and Results in ascending priority.

We have none.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #4234 on: August 16, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »
.    We have good players           

No we don't. We really don't so nail that argument right now. The whole squad is the most one-paced, ponderous set up I've seen down there. There's no one who can beat a man. No one who you would look at and say "he's great in the air", or "he's blisteringly quick", or even "he can hit a mean dead ball". And that's why we sit where we do in the table.

Onto the point of the matter, Bruce has to go. We chop and change formation and players each week in a purely 'let's try this, this week approach to see if something sticks' manner. He bought the majority of the players now, and hasn't mounded them into any sort of coherent unit. He simply doesn't know how to deploy the very limited playing resources he has.

There no evidence of coaching. No style of play. No urgency. Not even a glimmer of hope that it will "click" and we'll be off and running. Just a forlorn hope that everything will be ok once Koja is back.

As to replacement? Gawd knows. I can pretty much guarantee that Wyness and Round will be digging out the phone book like it's < 2000 though and searching out the phone numbers of The Moyes', the Allardyces, of this world. Don't expect anything innovative or visionary from them.

Dark days, very, very dark days indeed.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #4235 on: August 16, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
The positives are Steve Bruce getting sacked and the fact we've played two of the strongest home sides and a fairly well organised team just relegated from the top division.

Its the nature of the defeats, the tactical incompetence and the money spent.
We should be much, much better given the time he's had.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #4236 on: August 16, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
Top rant from Grumbleweed in the Guardian comments section:

Grumbleweed 7h ago

Bruce should have been sacked in May. He's tactically clueless, unable to motivate his players and has failed to instil any semblance of a style of play. He's wasted millions on players that he has no idea how to use. He spent the summer courting John Terry, who's not only a loathsome twat but a twat who plays in the one position that didn't need attention, and in doing so he's stripped Chester of the captaincy which has affected his form, weakening our defence - so he's somehow managed to spend millions in the summer to make us worse. He's allowed arseholes like Agbonlahor and Richards back into the fold, which is a kick in the teeth to the fans who watched them strolling their way through our relegation season without a care in the world, and he's said that Alan Hutton "picks himself". Alan Fucking Hutton. The football is shit, the results are shit, Bruce has got more chance of winning a modelling contract than he has of leading Villa to promotion this season. He is a footballing dinosaur, I don't care what he's done in the past, he clearly, evidently, demonstrably can't do it any more. Worse still he's delusional, he's adopted Paul Bullshit Lambert's habit of treating the fans like fucking idiots with post-match comments that bear no resemblance to the match that we all just saw. We didn't deserve to lose to Reading, Steve? We fucking did, you pillock. We were shite, as we always are. We set out not to lose (not to win, there's a big difference) and we lost. 2-1 flattered us, massively. Bollocks, Steve. Utter horse shit. Four thousand fans travelled to watch that shambles tonight. They deserve so much better. To all Bruce's pundit mates who'll stick up for him and call Villa fans impatient for wanting him out now, this isn't just three matches. It's forty odd now. A full season's worth. And not one complete ninety minutes of competence. We can name a couple of random halves where we looked good. In a year. Millions spent. Millions. Bugger off Steve.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #4237 on: August 16, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
It's very difficult to argue with any of that.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4238 on: August 16, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
There are two sides now, the lines are drawn.

Bruce (and maybe a few club officials)

Everyone else.

That will only mean one thing, it's just a matter of time. And time is of the essence.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #4239 on: August 16, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »
If he goes now we can still save the season.
That gamble is surely better than leaving Bruce in charge who has clearly shown he is not up for this. He doesn't know how to use players he has signed.
He doesn't know how to set up a team to win - without these basics, he will not acheive what Dr Tony insists he has to acheive...
Change needed. Again.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4240 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
We have lost our only avenue to goal through injury but who does Bruce buy? someone who plays in a style opposite to who he's supposed to replace, how is that for keeping a shape in the team. I have no doubt there a lot of players in the Villa side at the moment playing who crap could move to other clubs and be valuable players.
I'm in my seventh decade but I believe even I could pick a side to play to a certain shape and get results.
He reminds me of all of our managers over the last few years, rabbit in  the headlights.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #4241 on: August 16, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
He has been fairly accurate in his summation of other matches, but he slipped into desperation mode last night:

-Saying our goalkeeper had nothing to do when most independent observers thought he was our best player.
-Saying we had numerous chances, when we had one clear cut chance (Green's) and a handful of a half chances, most of which came when the game was already lost.
-The 'I've been here for six months' comments? What the chuff is that about. He said it twice, so it's can't have been a slip of the tongue. Is he trying to suggest that pre-season doesn't count? Even then, he's been here for 7 or 8 'playing months'.

The 'whether I will be given the chance' and 'I am the right man for the job' comments are his early pleas for his job. He's been around the block enough times to know when writing is on the wall.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4242 on: August 16, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
I honestly felt it was the right appointment, a safe bet if you like. I can't believe how little impact he's had given the time and money he's spent.

If a supposed promotion expert cant turn this around i'm buggered if I know who to turn to next.  Everyone's a gamble from now on.

Same for me.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4243 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
He says that we're missing our two best players, and he's probably right. But its a sad indictment that these are two players he didn't sign. The squad is worse than the one he took over.

excellent point

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #4244 on: August 16, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
Oh, and now I see he's come out with some nonsense about how the fans 'got carried away' with the 'euphoria' of signing Terry! Bloody hell, it's us lot who are delusional now apparently. We had the audacity to expect the side the compete with Cardiff and Reading, perhaps have the occasional shot or corner, simply because we signed one former England Captain. Nice bloke, had the backing of the fans, most of whom were supportive of his appointment, but we're getting worse and he's getting really desperate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal