collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115187 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3930 on: August 13, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »
I don't think they were a good team.  They won 5 of their last 31 league games the previous season and finished bottom. Their squad was pretty crap as well. They may not have been as bad as we were but they were still shite.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3931 on: August 13, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I am sorry but the asking the players to "take a good look at themselves" or "to stand up to the plate"is just a cop out, just cliched rubbish.
Players are there to be led, the manager is the leader, the manager decides who plays who stays, where and when they play and what system.
It's so bloody obvious where the problem is.

To think it can all be down to one man is naive in the extreme. If that were the case then surely one of the times we have rolled the dice in the past few years should have resulted in improvement. Bruce is the manager so he has the ultimate responsibility and will rightly face the consequences if things do not change very quickly but absolving highly paid professionals from any of the blame demonstrates a lack of understanding in my view.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3932 on: August 13, 2017, 11:09:10 PM »
I don't think they were a good team.  They won 5 of their last 31 league games the previous season and finished bottom. Their squad was pretty crap as well. They may not have been as bad as we were but they were still shite.

I disagree.
They were a good team for Division 2 if they held on to the nucleus of their team. They didn't need to sign the number of players that we had to in order to compete at this level.

Bear in mind and that most if not all of our big signings had been alienated and wanted out.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3933 on: August 13, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »
Don't get me wrong I think RDM turned out to be a bit of a disaster but I think he deserves more credit for turning around a side that was crap the previous season and taking them straight back up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:17:26 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3934 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »
Don't get me wrong I think RDM turned our to be a bit of a disaster but I think he deserves more credit for turning around a side that was crap the previous season and taking them straight back up.

Fair play, so.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3935 on: August 13, 2017, 11:23:48 PM »
I am sorry but the asking the players to "take a good look at themselves" or "to stand up to the plate"is just a cop out, just cliched rubbish.
Players are there to be led, the manager is the leader, the manager decides who plays who stays, where and when they play and what system.

To think it can all be down to one man is naive in the extreme. If that were the case then surely one of the times we have rolled the dice in the past few years should have resulted in improvement. Bruce is the manager so he has the ultimate responsibility and will rightly face the consequences if things do not change very quickly but absolving highly paid professionals from any of the blame demonstrates a lack of understanding in my view.
Naive!
I don't absolve them but the only person that has the ability to effect thier attitude and performance is the manager.
Every decision concerning the playing side of the club is down to him.
They are highly paid so what, they are at every decent sized club, the difference is how you get them to perform as close to thier ability as possible, that is the managers job.
Or is it because you have so vehemently backed him that you are now trying to find other excuses for your lack of judgement?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3936 on: August 13, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
Xia is not crazy. He is not going to give Terry his first time manager job with Aston Villa.

Then why did he appoint RDM, when most knowledgeable fans held the opinion that Terry was the effective manager during Chelsea's success under RDM's short period in charge?

No offence, but it tends to be the "tactics is overrated, you just need to tell 'em to runnaraandabit" crowd that credit Terry. John Terry's contribution was to make Di Matteo's job much more difficult with his dickishness against Barcelona.

Di Matteo was rubbish for us, but Chelsea's Champions League win is still a massive, peacock-sized feather in his cap.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #3937 on: August 13, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
Bruce comes across as a pretty alright guy but I wonder does he really think Clemence and Calderwood are the best pair he could have along side him. No one at the club goes to work and thinks, "Yes, Stephen Clemence is going to make me better today".

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3938 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:07 PM »
Xia is not crazy. He is not going to give Terry his first time manager job with Aston Villa.

Then why did he appoint RDM, when most knowledgeable fans held the opinion that Terry was the effective manager during Chelsea's success under RDM's short period in charge?

No offence, but it tends to be the "tactics is overrated, you just need to tell 'em to runnaraandabit" crowd that credit Terry. John Terry's contribution was to make Di Matteo's job much more difficult with his dickishness against Barcelona.

Di Matteo was rubbish for us, but Chelsea's Champions League win is still a massive, peacock-sized feather in his cap.

And frankly if it was all "JT" anyway, then fuck, lets can Bruce right now and make the real CL winning manager our manager. It's too easy to say he just sent Chelsea out and they won the CL. He played his part, and as much as it didn't work out with us, he still was the manager of that team, and played his part in them winning that trophy.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #3939 on: August 14, 2017, 04:59:36 AM »
He still had to figure out the finer details of how they'd set up to defend against both Barcelona and Bayern - I mean, you can't exactly just say "All right lads, hang on for dear life and try to nick one if it's possible." Still a massive fluke job, of course, but

Problem for me was that we clearly had a problem in midfield and I don't think he addressed it proactively enough.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3940 on: August 14, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »

Naive!
I don't absolve them but the only person that has the ability to effect thier attitude and performance is the manager.
Every decision concerning the playing side of the club is down to him.
They are highly paid so what, they are at every decent sized club, the difference is how you get them to perform as close to thier ability as possible, that is the managers job.
Or is it because you have so vehemently backed him that you are now trying to find other excuses for your lack of judgement?

Seriously, the only person that has the ability to effect their performance is the manager? As I said, naive.

I have been supportive as I believed his track record suggested he knows what is required to get teams promoted from this division. One abject performance does not take away that record. But vehemently suggests I have been doing it with passion and gusto when in reality it is out of pragmatism. If he fails then I will have been wrong and will have to accept it, but so what? I am far more bothered about the team I support doing well then I am about who was right or wrong in a discussion with a couple of dozen fellow supporters on the internet.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #3941 on: August 14, 2017, 09:10:37 AM »
Apologies if already posted this is a good article from his time as Sunderland ..same issues remain
-Inability to change tactics during a game
- Too many signings
-Blaming fans for high expectations

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3942 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
that sort of defensive shady shit might have worked at a half-arsed club like Blunderland but it doesn't cut the mustard at AV. Period.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #3943 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
I would like Bruce, or Xia, to effect change that positively affects our performance.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #3944 on: August 14, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »
I would like Bruce, or Xia, to effect change that positively affects our performance.

Boot to arse?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal