collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113170 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3900 on: August 13, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
Don't get me wrong, i'm no Gabby fan these days and would be happier if he was gone, I just think using him as an excuse for other players being shit and/or having a poor attitude is giving them a cop out. And it wasn't like he was keeping loads of players out who were in form, fat Ross was crap, Ayew has always been inconsistent, RHM spent most of last year in dispute over a contract and injured and Davis still doesn't look ready to me for anything more than the odd sub appearance and that's nearly a year on. Sad fact is that since Bruce arrived Gabby has probably been our second best striker, which says more about the others and Bruce's ability than it does about Gabby.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3901 on: August 13, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »
That just about puts our impending doom in a nutshell.  Gabby is our second best striker.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3902 on: August 13, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »
Ayew's form tailed off in October? You're joking I assume, as he was the biggest disappointment of last season, he never got going at all.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3903 on: August 13, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »
The brief cameo from RHM when he came on v Newcastle illustrated that there was something to work with.  He changed the game against the best side in the division at the time. McCormack looks like the latest in a long line of sugerbags behaviour-wise. But did look like he was finding something approximating form between Sep-Oct.

Davis later in the season provided a different option; a mean fired up battering ram. Raw, but plenty of endeavour.

Gabby offered little up top; either around Nov/ Dec or in the latter part of the season save the B-lose game. So heralding him as our second best forward is a tad generous.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3904 on: August 13, 2017, 04:34:49 PM »
At the moment we looked to have regressed from RDM which is barely comprehensible.

Indeed.  I thought that the drubbing away at Preston under RDM was bad, with his shambles of a non-formation, but yesterday was even worse.

Bruce was poor last year, and after a full pre-season, he's got even worse. Triffic.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #3905 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
Ayew's form tailed off in October? You're joking I assume, as he was the biggest disappointment of last season, he never got going at all.

He was something like the 2nd or 3rd highest chance creator in the division up until that point, so I am not sure that stacks up.

Off the top of my head, Sheff Wed away he looked our biggest threat. Derby away and Forest at home he was MOTM.   Played well second half v Newcastle. Looked like he had scored the winner v Barnsley away in Sep, only for our usual late brittleness to kick in.  Scored the winner v Reading.

Yes, I would have wanted even more. But he was doing OK.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3906 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »
McCormack spent most of September injured and started one game in October. The only game Gabby started Sep-Oct McCormack was out injured. As I said, he wasn't really keeping anyone out and that Gabby has probably been our second best striker while Bruce has been here is more damning about the others and Bruce rather than praise for Gabby.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3907 on: August 13, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
when I saw Gabby , Hutton and Bacuna all starting against Dull city I went right off Bruce and the hammer in the coffin was bringing on Samba as a fecking striker.

Im sure Richards would be playing If fit .

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #3908 on: August 13, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
McCormack spent most of September injured and started one game in October.

That's odd.  I distinctly remember him looking decent against Forest and Brentford at home during that period and looking the least worst of our forward options v Preston away (despite the penalty miss). Again, like Ayew, he wasn't firing on all cylinders. But there was enough encouragement there to suggest he wasn't too far away.  Unlike Gabby, who barely offered nuisance value in the vast majority of his run outs. Well he was a nuisance.  To us.

Not that I see being Aston Villa's second best forward last season as a particularly hard fought accolade (is that like the tallest dwarf award?) But sooner than make Gabby's contribution out to be more than it is, I'd give that particular gong to Gestede or Ayew.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3909 on: August 13, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
It was the Brentford game McCormack got injured. For the season i'd probably agree, I was talking about from when Bruce arrived. It's a sign of how bad we were apart from Kod that Gestede was our second highest scoring striker last season and he didn't play for us in 2017 and none of the others could even match his massive 4 goals.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3910 on: August 13, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »
Under Bruce last season, apart from Kod, our strikers managed:

Ayew - 1 (pen)
Rudy - 1 (pen)
McCormack - 1
Gabby -1
Hogan - 1

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #3911 on: August 13, 2017, 05:13:34 PM »
Gabby is our third best striker in actual fact but even so, its still a sad scenario. He's the best option off the bench currently when Hogan and Kodjia are fit.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3912 on: August 13, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
The fact we have a 14 goals in five years 'striker' still at the club says it all.

That and some of the other utter shit we have bought in recent times tell a story.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3913 on: August 13, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
The 56-year-old manager acknowledged the impact of the 29-year-old winger, saying his side looked “fragile” after Elmohamady was forced off.
“Once Elmohamady went off with an injury we looked fragile.

So it was all because Of the injury to our right sides midfielder.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3914 on: August 13, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »
Hutton got badly found out thereafter, so he has a point, although Bree is bigger, quicker,can cross and is crucually, better. Thats got to be Hutton's last game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal