collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113707 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3810 on: August 13, 2017, 02:06:48 AM »
Wodehouse or not.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3811 on: August 13, 2017, 02:08:51 AM »
Nah I like Pulp enough, was joshing. Though I admit I found Gallagher and May somewhat alarming in the video for reasons I can't quite explain.

Which is...why... Bruce must...go? I dunno, this has gone way tangential and I have no segue back to the True Path of the thread.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #3812 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:00 AM »
All is well then, my esteemed companion. BRUCE OUT!

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3813 on: August 13, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »
Any churchgoers reading this before the service, you know what to ask the Big Man for, right? He'll listen, it's important.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #3814 on: August 13, 2017, 02:16:25 AM »
Somebody was practising their conducting next to me on the tube last week and I thought it could be you. This should probably be a pm or an unexpressed thought. Night everyone!

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #3815 on: August 13, 2017, 02:20:45 AM »
As I just posted on the post-match thread...

Steve Round should be on the next plane to Lille to secure our next manager...the one, the only, Marcelo Bielsa. He has a 100% win record at Lille*

* they've only played 1 game  ;D

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #3816 on: August 13, 2017, 02:25:41 AM »
It's a yes from me - but don't his teams run out of gas in March like *coughs*.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #3817 on: August 13, 2017, 02:36:31 AM »
We must be getting to the point where people just wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. FFP means there's no money now and we'll have to sell our best players next season. We should probably make this a medium term project but the fans may not  tolerate the transition

Struggling to think of a single game that has so completely shifted my expectations for a season. I thought today was always a very tough game but i thought we'd look like we had a plan.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #3818 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:13 AM »
It's a yes from me - but don't his teams run out of gas in March like *coughs*.

lol, though I'd take March over August :)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3819 on: August 13, 2017, 04:15:34 AM »
Can't sleep.  So angry about what has happened to us.

Stand back from the wreckage of the club.  See the big picture.  We appointed Steve Bruce as our manager.  Yes, that Steve Bruce.  The one we used to laugh at.   He has spent his time (time that he had forgotten how to measure) buying a playerwho refuses to climb a four foot gate to come into training, a player who bangs his head on the goalpost before a game, moved heaven and earth to force back into the team two feckless wasters who were at the very heart of the poisonous dressing room that destroyed every vestige of team spirit and used a precious summer when we teetered on the brink of permanent second class status, showboating the signing of John Terry.  Yes, that John Terry.  The one we used to laugh at.

Stand back and take in all that and all the other elementary blunders.  Ask yourself, are you in the least bit surprised that we get humiliated by a Neil Warnock side?

The other horror that is floating to the surface of the black lagoon is the lack of actual beneficial input by the owner.  He is beginning to look every bit as naive and immature as Lerner.  There is not a shred of evidence that anybody at Villa Park has the first clue about running a successful football club and worse still actually caring.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3820 on: August 13, 2017, 05:00:38 AM »
I just sent this as a message to another poster on this site, but I felt I needed to share it on this thread.

I get that Bruce is a decent chap. We are realistic and mature enough to look past his Bluenose connections. As with McLeish, Bruce just isn't the manager we need. We deserve better. There are thousands of better football managers. There are thousands more with the confidence in their ability to do a good job for us.

I worry that people like Wyness and Round are too 'old school', if you will. They're not in touch with the modern game, and I believe Bruce was a panic appointment with little thought behind it.

Howe would be my choice, Dyche even. I'd love a good continental appointment. A good manager is a good manager. Doesn't matter what league they're in, they know how to adapt. Bruce doesn't and it sickens me. I just paid £110 to avtv to watch our games. My wife commented how boring it was to watch us yesterday. She remembers Benteke and the cup games against the Baggies and Liverpool. She remembers my passion and excitement, where I'd barely check my phone during a game, or even go to the toilet. She said that yesterday I didn't look stressed or bothered anymore. I said that I am bothered, just not to the same extent as before. It's very disappointing.

I love this site and the posters who contribute interesting, succinct posts. But the petty points scoring and bickering from a few pisses me off. We seem a divided fan base at present, but only due to bad management and team selections.

For me, we have two decent goalkeepers. Johnstone played well yesterday, as did Steer, midweek.

My back four would be Bree, because Hutton is just woeful. As soon as I see him on the team sheet, I think 'deary me, what a typical Bruce pick'. Chester was appalling yesterday, slow and weak. We don't have any choice but to play him and Terry do we? Yes we do. Terry is past it in my opinion. He looked very uncomfortable yesterday. Get Bedeau in because he is clearly talented. He has to play sometime, yet must partner someone decent, which Chester was last year. Taylor at left back, though I didn't mind Amavi, and he's gone now anyway. Samba is not the answer to anything.

My central midfield would be Onomah and Hourihane, Green and possible O'Hare too. I'd have Hourihane at the base of a diamond, with Onomah and Green either side of him, O'Hare behind Kodjia when fit, and Hogan. Agbonlahor should never be anywhere near our club and we'll never be successful until people like him and Hutton fuck off. I feel with that midfield, they'd make chances for Hogan with their skill and clever passing alone. Doyle Hayes(?) would also get game time if I had my way.

I don't understand the notion that we 'have to play' with wingers in order to create. Skillful players like Green, O'Hare and Onomah can drift and pick a nice pass. I'd play through Hourihane, he has the passing range and Onomah has the guile and tenacity, O'Hare too. It's the thinking of dinosaurs that we have to have a midfield 'destroyer'. It's very possible to play good football and get out of the championship.

Whelen, Elmo, Adomah and Lansbury are garbage. Yesterday, Hogan left a throw in for Adomah, and the latter showed horrible petulance. I hate to see that, especially from a bang average player like Albert. It could have simply been frustration. I know how he fucking feels.

We need a rocket up our arseholes. But not from another dinosaur like Allardyce. From a cultured, educated football manager with tactical nous and an ability to pin point and improve our weaknesses.

It's just my viewpoint, and any criticism is welcomed. I just wish we had a team full of energy and awareness. That can be coached. I've no idea what we do all week.

Highly disappointed at present, and completely agree with your excellent post above, Brian.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:03:31 AM by Axl Rose »

Online KRS

« Reply #3821 on: August 13, 2017, 05:03:50 AM »
We must be getting to the point where people just wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. FFP means there's no money now and we'll have to sell our best players next season. We should probably make this a medium term project but the fans may not  tolerate the transition

Struggling to think of a single game that has so completely shifted my expectations for a season. I thought today was always a very tough game but i thought we'd look like we had a plan.
...and for those very reasons, Bruce should be sacked immediately to give us any chance of getting out of this division this season.

I'm far from convinced that we have the squad capable of challenging the top 6 as we lack strength in depth in terms of skill, pace and ability all over the park, but there HAS to be another manager out there that can get better results and performances out of these players.

Let's face it, not many of us rated (or in some cases even heard of) the likes of Lansbury, McCormack, Hourihane, Adomah, Whelan, Hogan, Bree, Taylor, Elmohamady, Samba, Bjarnason...add these to the other festering pile of shit players stinking out our squad and I find it hard to comprehend that these are the ASTON VILLA players that are responsible and expected to get out of this mess...the very least we and they deserve is a manager with the ability, knowledge and football intelligence to get the very best out of the them and hope they translate this into performances and results on the pitch.

It is quite apparent that Steve Bruce is not capable of such a task.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #3822 on: August 13, 2017, 05:05:45 AM »
When you try and grind out 1-0 wins your defence will always be under pressure. Once the other team score it means your plan goes out of the window. Our defence/ team isn't good enough to do that and being as Bruce doesn't gave a plan B then for me it's 'Taxi for Bruce'. I fear we are in deep shit and I worry that because of the money that has been blown we still haven't sunk as low as we are going to.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3823 on: August 13, 2017, 05:48:40 AM »
It's just my viewpoint, and any criticism is welcomed. I just wish we had a team full of energy and awareness. That can be coached. I've no idea what we do all week.

Highly disappointed at present, and completely agree with your excellent post above, Brian.

Good post. No disagreement here. Same for Brian.

I would just like our club to get even vaugely the value for the money they spend. Managers, players, CEO , training ground whatever. But we seemingly are very rarely able to do so, at least much less so than other clubs.

I don't understand it I really don't.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #3824 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »
I think Round, Wyness et al should (maybe they already are) be getting a list of potential replacements at this very moment, so that they can make a call at the start of the international break as to whether to give Bruce the sack.

Not that I have much faith in them pulling a decent managerial appointment out of their arse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal