collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113556 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3315 on: August 06, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
I didn't ask you for meaningful analysis, you assumed I was talking about you when I wasnt.

I agree with your assessment and said much the same myself. Save the last paragraph.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:15:18 PM by Ads »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3316 on: August 06, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
I didn't ask you for meaningful analysis, you assumed I was talking about you when I wasnt.

I agree with your assessment and said much the same myself. Save the mast paragraph.

I never said you asked me, but I did answer you.

Yes it was  little long but meaningful analysis in bullet point form doesn't work for me.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3317 on: August 06, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »
Stop quoting the whole feckin' thing each time, just use the last bit if necessary but most people understand what part of the discussion is being referred to.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3318 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
I don't think yesterday was anything like Wolves. It was a continuation from Brighton where we dominated for large spells, created plenty but ended up dropping two points.

There's a lot of critical comments being made that are essentially cliches rather than any sort of meaningful analysis of what happened in the game. People made their mind up about Bruce and that's that.

There are, but you're making at least as many as anyone else.

I've offered meaningful analysis of where the game slipped away and I've said what I'd have done differently and why but you've ignored those bits.

I'll repeat (and add to) them though because it's easier than hunting through other thrads. We were getting forward by pinging the ball to Gabby and Elmo to hold up on the wings and then getting Lansbury and to a lesser extent Bacuna up the pitch to offer some support to Hogan.  However after about 40minutes Gabby looked knackered and stopped working so hard and they started closing Elmo faster and he couldn't get into the game.  That stopped us from having the time to get midfielders up the pitch.  With Lansbury also going down a gear or 2 as well it meant Hogan looked isolated as much as he was last season and their more energetic options in the middle then had chance to get hold of the game.

We eventually, after they'd equalised, realised what we were doing wrong and added Green to give us a new option to force their defence back and get us higher up the pitch and then Onomah to give us some legs in midfield.  Unfortunately we took off Hogan and left Gabby on when we did that which meant Onomah didn't have anyone making the smart runs in behind that he wanted but did have Green chasing stuff so those 2 combined well.  Samba at the end was a roll the dice sub that I can both understand but that also sums Bruce up because it was clearly a 'get it in the mixer' move.

What I'd have done differently is I'd have taken Lansbury or Bacuna off for Onomah and Gabby off for Green and I'd have made both changes on about 55 minutes when it was clear that they were on top.  Not only would the double change break up play a little but it would also have given us some more energy to be able to match them in midfield.  I'd then have been looking at giving Hourihane a run for whichever of the 2 midfielders I'd left on with his remit being to help us retain the ball a bit higher up the pitch.

In the end a draw was the fair result, they had more shots than us and had a couple that they'll be upset to have not taken themselves.  I thought I knew what we we were getting with Bruce and I've seen nothing to change my mind so why should I? I'm not calling for him to be sacked, I'm just pointing out that things aren't improving and we shouldn't let things slide if that continues to be the case.

Well, I've read the first chapter, i'll read the rest in the morning.

He asked about meaningful analysis, I offered some and both you and Ads (as 2 of the more por-bruce posters) have replied without addressing any of it, I guess because you know it's all true and haven't had time to work out why it's not his fault yet.

I'll say when it's Bruce' fault when I think it is, not when you think it should be.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3319 on: August 06, 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
For some, the minds were made up when he walked through the door.

The thing is if he does almost exactly what those people expected why would they change their minds? I want him to prove me wrong and be better than I expect but he hasn't yet (in fact he's been worse, I expected him to miss out on the playoffs but make the top 10).

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3320 on: August 06, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
I'll say when it's Bruce' fault when I think it is, not when you think it should be.

Between a few of you the time to judge him has been moved 3-4 times already though and I'm not sure why.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3321 on: August 06, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
Said it before, say it again we will not go up with Bruce as the manager. Hopefully loads can come back and tell me how wrong I was at the end of the season, hopefully!

Online Clampy

« Reply #3322 on: August 06, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »

Between a few of you the time to judge him has been moved 3-4 times already though and I'm not sure why.

See my above post but I'll say it again. When I decide, not when you think I should.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3323 on: August 06, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »

See my above post but I'll say it again. When I decide, not when you think I should.

I literally quoted that so I'm not sure why you repeated it but I guess the question is what needs to happen for you to start holding Bruce responsible for how we play, when will this be 'his' team and when will people stop offering excuses for him?

Online Clampy

« Reply #3324 on: August 06, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »

I literally quoted that so I'm not sure why you repeated it but I guess the question is what needs to happen for you to start holding Bruce responsible for how we play, when will this be 'his' team and when will people stop offering excuses for him?

No Paul, I don't need to hold Bruce responsible for anything if I don't want to. You need to understand that people have different opinions. It's a forum, it happens.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3325 on: August 06, 2017, 06:35:17 PM »

No Paul, I don't need to hold Bruce responsible for anything if I don't want to. You need to understand that people have different opinions. It's a forum, it happens.

I never said you had to, I said what would need to happen, I'm asking for you to give an opinion not telling you what it should be.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3326 on: August 06, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »

I never said you had to, I said what would need to happen, I'm asking for you to give an opinion not telling you what it should be.

I don't even need to give an opinion either. When I think it's time for him to go, i'll say so. I can't be any more clearer than that to be honest.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #3327 on: August 06, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »
The first half was the best we have looked for ages...but the things that bug me about Bruce are;
1. We never seem to be able to push on after taking the lead, but rather try to hang on to what we have by dropping deep.
2. Shoe-horning players into the side. Gabby is a forward, so either play him there or not at all. Especially with Green & Amavi not included.
3. One up top at home.
4. The inability to react tactically when things are going poorly. Has to be proactive but it's not even reactive (well, not in time anyway).

We've now got a solid defence with the back 5. Surely we can afford to get on the front foot throughout the game and take it to teams without the need for everyone to drop so deep for large periods.
Player I feel for is Hogan...There's a proper good player in there but he is often so isolated. He works hard, holds it up, is quickish, decent in the air and not too shabby on the ground.

Bree Hourihane and Green in for Gabby Hutton and Bacuna...the rest is down to Bruce with the set up / tactics. That team should be top 2 comfortably on talent alone (and that's without Kodija).

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3328 on: August 06, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »
I don't even need to give an opinion either. When I think it's time for him to go, i'll say so. I can't be any more clearer than that to be honest.

and that's fine, but you seem to see the same problems with the team as me, which is why I asked.

Online KRS

« Reply #3329 on: August 06, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
The simple fact that he brought on Samba to lump high balls into epitomises the dinosaur mentality of Steve Bruce...never a clearer sign of a completely clueless and desperate manager in his first game of the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal