collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113693 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3300 on: August 06, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
I don't think yesterday was anything like Wolves. It was a continuation from Brighton where we dominated for large spells, created plenty but ended up dropping two points.

There's a lot of critical comments being made that are essentially cliches rather than any sort of meaningful analysis of what happened in the game. People made their mind up about Bruce and that's that.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3301 on: August 06, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
I don't think yesterday was anything like Wolves. It was a continuation from Brighton where we dominated for large spells, created plenty but ended up dropping two points.

There's a lot of critical comments being made that are essentially cliches rather than any sort of meaningful analysis of what happened in the game. People made their mind up about Bruce and that's that.

He's not done a lot to change those minds.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3302 on: August 06, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »

For some, the minds were made up when he walked through the door.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3303 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »
Bree - what was the point

He's 19, similar age to Delph when we signed him. Some signings are made for future potential rather than going straight into the first team.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3304 on: August 06, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

For some, the minds were made up when he walked through the door.
Feared the worst based on his tactical past and hoped for the best based in his previous success getting out of this division.
Wanted him to succeed but his selections, player acquisitions and game management are showing up how limited a manager he is despite the resources that he has been provided.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3305 on: August 06, 2017, 04:37:58 PM »

There are, but you're making at least as many as anyone else.

I've offered meaningful analysis of where the game slipped away and I've said what I'd have done differently and why but you've ignored those bits.

I'll repeat (and add to) them though because it's easier than hunting through other thrads. We were getting forward by pinging the ball to Gabby and Elmo to hold up on the wings and then getting Lansbury and to a lesser extent Bacuna up the pitch to offer some support to Hogan.  However after about 40minutes Gabby looked knackered and stopped working so hard and they started closing Elmo faster and he couldn't get into the game.  That stopped us from having the time to get midfielders up the pitch.  With Lansbury also going down a gear or 2 as well it meant Hogan looked isolated as much as he was last season and their more energetic options in the middle then had chance to get hold of the game.

We eventually, after they'd equalised, realised what we were doing wrong and added Green to give us a new option to force their defence back and get us higher up the pitch and then Onomah to give us some legs in midfield.  Unfortunately we took off Hogan and left Gabby on when we did that which meant Onomah didn't have anyone making the smart runs in behind that he wanted but did have Green chasing stuff so those 2 combined well.  Samba at the end was a roll the dice sub that I can both understand but that also sums Bruce up because it was clearly a 'get it in the mixer' move.

What I'd have done differently is I'd have taken Lansbury or Bacuna off for Onomah and Gabby off for Green and I'd have made both changes on about 55 minutes when it was clear that they were on top.  Not only would the double change break up play a little but it would also have given us some more energy to be able to match them in midfield.  I'd then have been looking at giving Hourihane a run for whichever of the 2 midfielders I'd left on with his remit being to help us retain the ball a bit higher up the pitch.

In the end a draw was the fair result, they had more shots than us and had a couple that they'll be upset to have not taken themselves.  I thought I knew what we we were getting with Bruce and I've seen nothing to change my mind so why should I? I'm not calling for him to be sacked, I'm just pointing out that things aren't improving and we shouldn't let things slide if that continues to be the case.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3306 on: August 06, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
Newcastle won 10 games by a single goal and only 5 of those were 1-0. The bottom line is you have to score goals to get promoted, there's very few exceptions.

How many did Boro score the year they went up under Karanka? I'd imagine that's the template we're aiming for given now negative they were in the prem.

People at the club are aware of it...Keith Wyness in the Villa View interview says we need to score 80 goals this season!

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3307 on: August 06, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
Boro got 63.  I think that's pretty much the bottom end if you want promotion.

Still means we need to add 16 to what we got last year though.

We probably need to add about half again.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3308 on: August 06, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »
Wyness came over very well.
My biggest take away though was the comment about Bruce not sleeping for a fear of losing, this really does explain his management style.
I would much prefer it if he was consumed and focused on  winning.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3309 on: August 06, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
I wasn't suggesting you were talking cliches.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3310 on: August 06, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
Wyness came over very well.
My biggest take away though was the comment about Bruce not sleeping for a fear of losing, this really does explain his management style.
I would much prefer it if he was consumed and focused on  winning.

Aye.  But at most of his previous clubs, it has been enough to keep it tight and hope to nick something from a set piece or mistake. 

Two of his promotions were gained via the play-offs and -not to denigrate that success at all- it is possible to sneak the play-offs with a record of only winning marginally more than you lose. Though in fairness, his Hull side did win 24 games in 15/16.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3311 on: August 06, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »

I've offered meaningful analysis of where the game slipped away and I've said what I'd have done differently and why but you've ignored those bits.

I'll repeat (and add to) them though because it's easier than hunting through other thrads. We were getting forward by pinging the ball to Gabby and Elmo to hold up on the wings and then getting Lansbury and to a lesser extent Bacuna up the pitch to offer some support to Hogan.  However after about 40minutes Gabby looked knackered and stopped working so hard and they started closing Elmo faster and he couldn't get into the game.  That stopped us from having the time to get midfielders up the pitch.  With Lansbury also going down a gear or 2 as well it meant Hogan looked isolated as much as he was last season and their more energetic options in the middle then had chance to get hold of the game.

We eventually, after they'd equalised, realised what we were doing wrong and added Green to give us a new option to force their defence back and get us higher up the pitch and then Onomah to give us some legs in midfield.  Unfortunately we took off Hogan and left Gabby on when we did that which meant Onomah didn't have anyone making the smart runs in behind that he wanted but did have Green chasing stuff so those 2 combined well.  Samba at the end was a roll the dice sub that I can both understand but that also sums Bruce up because it was clearly a 'get it in the mixer' move.

What I'd have done differently is I'd have taken Lansbury or Bacuna off for Onomah and Gabby off for Green and I'd have made both changes on about 55 minutes when it was clear that they were on top.  Not only would the double change break up play a little but it would also have given us some more energy to be able to match them in midfield.  I'd then have been looking at giving Hourihane a run for whichever of the 2 midfielders I'd left on with his remit being to help us retain the ball a bit higher up the pitch.

In the end a draw was the fair result, they had more shots than us and had a couple that they'll be upset to have not taken themselves.  I thought I knew what we we were getting with Bruce and I've seen nothing to change my mind so why should I? I'm not calling for him to be sacked, I'm just pointing out that things aren't improving and we shouldn't let things slide if that continues to be the case.

Well, I've read the first chapter, i'll read the rest in the morning.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3312 on: August 06, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »

He asked about meaningful analysis, I offered some and both you and Ads (as 2 of the more por-bruce posters) have replied without addressing any of it, I guess because you know it's all true and haven't had time to work out why it's not his fault yet.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #3313 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

You should read it all, its right on the money.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #3314 on: August 06, 2017, 05:32:47 PM »

Good analysis I think.

What's frustrating is that I saw virtually the same things going on, the dropping in involvement of Gabby, Elmo becoming a lesser influence and Lansbury not getting up and around Hogan , consequently we lost our hold in the game. I suspect a lot of others saw it too.

Unfortunately not our manager.

The (too late) injection of the pace of Green, the removal of Gabby and not Hogan were tactical decisions that seemed more obvious than the ones actually made. This is what worries me about SB more than most.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal