collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:30:20 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:29:02 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smithy
[Today at 07:28:18 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:27:17 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Pete3206
[Today at 07:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:21:35 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 07:20:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:19:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2123563 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3255 on: August 06, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
I just want us to win loads of games. Couldn't care less what the style is because winning football is all that matters and when we win games regularly the fans are happy.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3256 on: August 06, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
I just want us to win loads of games. Couldn't care less what the style is because winning football is all that matters and when we win games regularly the fans are happy.

I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with that.

But you don't think that playing better might make that winning thing happen more often?

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #3257 on: August 06, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »

But you don't think that playing better might make that winning thing happen more often?

I just think it's certain fans stating they still wouldn't be happy with Bruce's style even if we were winning games.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3258 on: August 06, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »

I don't think we played that badly yesterday though. We had enough chances to have won it easily.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #3259 on: August 06, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »

I just think it's certain fans stating they still wouldn't be happy with Bruce's style even if we were winning games.

Alternatively, if we did play fantastic expansive football but not getting the results then the knives would be out. I would love to have both but would accept 'boring' footy if it got us up, I also don't think we played that bad y-day.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #3260 on: August 06, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »

I don't think we played that badly yesterday though. We had enough chances to have won it easily.

I would agree and in the first half if Kodjia had been playing I'm convinced we would have been 3 up by half time. However what concerns me is the dropping back in the second half- Whelan apart I thought the midfield disappeared until after the equaliser had gone in. Some other worries is still the inability to get a telling cross in from set pieces, the tactical naivety of hoofing it up to Samba for the last ten minutes, the weakness in challenging for 50/50 balls and the poor timing of substitutes. Positives included Johnstones performance, Green's impact and Onamahs ability to find space.

Offline ez

« Reply #3261 on: August 06, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
dont think he will be here by christmas

It may not be that long. Bruce needs to win about half our games or more to get us up. It's hard to see that happening when we still make the same mistakes as last season.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3262 on: August 06, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »

I would agree and in the first half if Kodjia had been playing I'm convinced we would have been 3 up by half time. However what concerns me is the dropping back in the second half- Whelan apart I thought the midfield disappeared until after the equaliser had gone in. Some other worries is still the inability to get a telling cross in from set pieces, the tactical naivety of hoofing it up to Samba for the last ten minutes, the weakness in challenging for 50/50 balls and the poor timing of substitutes. Positives included Johnstones performance, Green's impact and Onamahs ability to find space.

I don't think we dropped back, Hull just came out flying in the second half because they were probably told they were appalling in the first half. In hindsight, we maybe should have put Green on earlier to counter that.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #3263 on: August 06, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »

Alternatively, if we did play fantastic expansive football but not getting the results then the knives would be out. I would love to have both but would accept 'boring' footy if it got us up, I also don't think we played that bad y-day.

I agree. Winning football is never boring though whatever style it is.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #3264 on: August 06, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »

I don't think we dropped back, Hull just came out flying in the second half because they were probably told they were appalling in the first half. In hindsight, we maybe should have put Green on earlier to counter that.

And there was no "tactical naivety" in holding the ball up to Samba either. For a start I don't think he was on the pitch for ten mins and also when you're chasing the game with a few minutes left then throwing on a big man right at the death is actually a decent tactic that comes off now and again. Lots of teams would do it in the same situation.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3265 on: August 06, 2017, 11:12:12 AM »
I thought throwing Samba on was a bit desperate to be honest. Fine if you're 1-0 down but I'd have kept Hogan on.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #3266 on: August 06, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
We wanted the 3 points so I don't see what the problem was. In fact it was a better tactic than floating the ball in to Hogan who was dwarfed by the giants in the Hull defence all game. Those crosses were meat and drink to the Hull backline.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3267 on: August 06, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »

Exactly, the manager of team behind at half time will generally tweak things because he has seen where it are going wrong. If you're in front and playing well then the tendency is to say more of the same. The key is taking more advantage of your periods of dominance. We should have been further ahead at the break making us less vulnerable to their reorganisation.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3268 on: August 06, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »
We wanted the 3 points so I don't see what the problem was. In fact it was a better tactic than floating the ball in to Hogan who was dwarfed by the giants in the Hull defence all game. Those crosses were meat and drink to the Hull backline.

I agree, it creates a bit of chaos in their defence for the last couple of minutes, you just need to make sure you get people around him to capitalise.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3269 on: August 06, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »
It's annoying when you hear fans say 'Bruce told them to sit back once we went 1-0 up'. It's absolute bollocks. No manager in their right mind would tell their team to defend for 80 minutes. The fact that we had chances to increase the lead rubbishes that theory. It's just another lazy stick to beat Bruce with.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal