collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113148 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3135 on: August 02, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
I'm disappointed we are talking about changing the manager before the season has even started. I think one of out major problems in recent years has been changing manager too often. You could argue that (health permitting) Houllier deserved longer. You could also argue Sherwood and Di Matteo deserved longer. On the other side of the coin I think we stuck too long with Lambert. McLeish and Garde were bad ideas in the first place but at least we got shot of them pretty quick.

I agree totally Damo.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3136 on: August 02, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Obviously I really want Bruce to do well. Nice bloke, says all the right things, seems to get the club.

Not convinced he will do anything better that bumble along in the playoffs, but there are some positives going into this season. The defence is markedly better.

Midfield is better, Whelan will allow us to play 4-4-2 whereas before we had to play an extra man to accomadate Jedinak.

Defence was statistically good last season, but had to be heavily protected from midfield to achieve that solidity. I am hoping we can play further up the pitch this season, and that we will see more from the forwards and midfield as a result.

I do think we will at least make the playoffs, but if it clicks we should be automatic. I guess we will know by christmas.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3137 on: August 02, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
Might start a poll.

Ads out?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3138 on: August 02, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
I'm disappointed we are talking about changing the manager before the season has even started. I think one of out major problems in recent years has been changing manager too often. You could argue that (health permitting) Houllier deserved longer. You could also argue Sherwood and Di Matteo deserved longer. On the other side of the coin I think we stuck too long with Lambert. McLeish and Garde were bad ideas in the first place but at least we got shot of them pretty quick.

I don't think changing the manager too often was the real problem, it was a reaction to appointing and then backing the wrong manager. Add to that the timing of the changes when we had a very small pool to choose from, it's no surprise things have steadily gone down hill.

Let's hope and pray Bruce can get us playing and given the strength of the squad we have, it shouldn't be too tough a job. The opening 25 minutes against Watford were very encouraging, what we need to do is play like that over 90 minutes, week, week out.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3139 on: August 02, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »
You could also argue Sherwood deserved longer.

Really?!  With a straight face?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #3140 on: August 02, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »

I don't think changing the manager too often was the real problem, it was a reaction to appointing and then backing the wrong manager. Add to that the timing of the changes when we had a very small pool to choose from, it's no surprise things have steadily gone down hill.

Let's hope and pray Bruce can get us playing and given the strength of the squad we have, it shouldn't be too tough a job. The opening 25 minutes against Watford were very encouraging, what we need to do is play like that over 90 minutes, week, week out.

The worry is we didn't manage that under Bruce in any game last season. If we are to win via an inspired spell we need to be creating plenty of chances. And we don't.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3141 on: August 02, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »

Playing like that for every minute of every game the season is not really feasible though is it? Particularly with the sheer churn of fixtures in this league. We need to aim for that level but when we don't reach it still show a level of resilience that means we can get something from the game.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #3142 on: August 02, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »

Playing like that for every minute of every game the season is not really feasible though is it? Particularly with the sheer churn of fixtures in this league. We need to aim for that level but when we don't reach it still show a level of resilience that means we can get something from the game.

Agreed but see above.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3143 on: August 02, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #3144 on: August 02, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

Ha! Thank you, Mr Logic. Of course we can't play at that tempo for EVERY minute but as you rightly say, we should AIM for it. Practice makes habit.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #3145 on: August 04, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #3146 on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:32 AM »
He talked a lot of sense with his OS interview. Certainly not looking for excuses, he fully understands what's demanded and believes he can deliver.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #3147 on: August 04, 2017, 01:27:47 AM »

Ha! Thank you, Mr Logic. Of course we can't play at that tempo for EVERY minute but as you rightly say, we should AIM for it. Practice makes habit.

I think if we can play 60 good minutes (which is not something that's happened much at all), and minimise mistakes in those other 30 when things get scrappy, we'll be fine.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3148 on: August 04, 2017, 02:24:32 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/03/aston-villa-steve-bruce-financial-fair-play?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not confident of getting up this season at all with Bruce.
He also spent a lot of money in January and I do t think those signings improved us a great deal.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #3149 on: August 04, 2017, 02:31:44 AM »
He does have a point in that Guardian interview.  Too many signings last summer was a big reason for our poor start.  Even if there were all world beaters they would still need time to gel.  Too many changes on and off the pitch have been our down fall.  Right now we are gaining a bit of stability.  I'm luke warm on some of our buys this summer, but we have a strong Championship squad.  Lets see where we are at the half way point. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal