collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113097 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3075 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:32 AM »
No idea but according to AVTV all the players love him.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3076 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »
Seen something over the weekend where he was saying "My remit was to balance the books," or words to that effect.

Conveniently ignoring the c£20 million he spent in January, with what was already one of the best squads in the division. Not too many Championship sides would have been allowed to bring in John Terry on PL wages either.  Probably way to early to be thinking this way, but it sounded vaguely like the kind of pap McLeish, Lamberk and the other chancers started vomiting out when they knew they were up against it.

Any failure can be explained away because success/promotion or whatever obviously isn't the first priority if you are sweating your assets.

You also conveniently ignore that he brought in nearly £12m in selling Gestede and Westwood, which is probably what he needed to do before he brought in who he did in January. I read what he said like you did and I took it to mean that he has to sell before he brings anyone else in. He did hint at wanting another striker but he's going to have to get rid of McCormack before he does that. It makes sense to me..

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3077 on: August 01, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
I'm also not convinced by the 'attack the full back' comment.  He did it in Germany but it's not something he's got a reputation for.  In fact if you want a right winger to beat his man, get crosses in and score a few goals then Adomah is better option. 

I'm fairly certain that a couple of seasons ago he was second only to *forget who it was* for chances created from crosses in the Premier League that season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3078 on: August 01, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »
I'm also not convinced by the 'attack the full back' comment.  He did it in Germany but it's not something he's got a reputation for.  In fact if you want a right winger to beat his man, get crosses in and score a few goals then Adomah is better option. 

I'm fairly certain that a couple of seasons ago he was second only to *forget who it was* for chances created from crosses in the Premier League that season.

He might have been but Adomah puts in as many crosses per game as him and has more goals and more assists in fewer games.  On top of that from what I've seen of them both Elmo is more likely to cross from deeper whereas Adomah tries to get higher up the pitch to cross.  Without loads of footage of them both it's hard to be certain but I really don't think of Elmo as a get to the line and cross winger and more the create half a yard and whip in from wherever type.  I'm not criticising him, I just don't think he's an upgrade on Adomah which will suddenly see us scoring loads more goals from right wing crosses given that it was already the only truly productive channel we had.  I'd much rather we'd gone looking for a left sided player with similar ability because that's where we need improvements.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3079 on: August 01, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »

He might have been but Adomah puts in as many crosses per game as him and has more goals and more assists in fewer games.  On top of that from what I've seen of them both Elmo is more likely to cross from deeper whereas Adomah tries to get higher up the pitch to cross.  Without loads of footage of them both it's hard to be certain but I really don't think of Elmo as a get to the line and cross winger and more the create half a yard and whip in from wherever type.  I'm not criticising him, I just don't think he's an upgrade on Adomah which will suddenly see us scoring loads more goals from right wing crosses given that it was already the only truly productive channel we had.  I'd much rather we'd gone looking for a left sided player with similar ability because that's where we need improvements.

Hard to draw conclusions from one game, but on the evidence of Saturday, Elmohamady looked a far better player than Adomah. 

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3080 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
I was merely pointing out that it is what he has a reputation for. As far as I can gather he's not great when it comes to defending.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3081 on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
I think he's a bit quicker than Adomah, who although I felt he faded towards the end of the season, cannot be knocked in the context of this league for what he produces.

Where we struggle on the right is when Hutton delivers the ball. His crossing is awful yet he seems to be responsible for a disproportionate amount of the crosses we put in. Perhaps that's me just noticing it more because its him, but I am hopeful Bree will feature more as I do think he has a good cross on him.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3082 on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
I think he's a bit quicker than Adomah, who although I felt he faded towards the end of the season, cannot be knocked in the context of this league for what he produces.

Where we struggle on the right is when Hutton delivers the ball. His crossing is awful yet he seems to be responsible for a disproportionate amount of the crosses we put in. Perhaps that's me just noticing it more because its him, but I am hopeful Bree will feature more as I do think he has a good cross on him.

I'd agree with you on Hutton, getting him out of the team is one of the keys to improving us as an attacking force, I can't work out why so many people like him so much.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3083 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
I genuinely believe opposition sides wilfully allow Hutton to have the ball high up, as there's a smaller than once-a-game probability of them not being gifted the ball back while we're pressed up. I don't see him as a threat, I'd be amazed if other teams do.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3084 on: August 01, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
I genuinely believe opposition sides wilfully allow Hutton to have the ball high up, as there's a smaller than once-a-game probability of them not being gifted the ball back while we're pressed up. I don't see him as a threat, I'd be amazed if other teams do.

On top of that it leaves a big gap for them to attack, the reward of having a left winger/striker with a huge gap to run into vastly out weighs the risk of Hutton delivering a decent cross.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3085 on: August 01, 2017, 11:33:14 AM »
Agree the problem on the right is Hutton with his "flatters to deceive" effort.
We have lacked pace as a team and I think that having  Elmo helps with this.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3086 on: August 01, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
I agree we lack pace but, for me, that's more in the middle of the park, we not only have players without natural sprinting pace but they also play very deep and slow the ball down as well.  Those 3 things combined create the problem.  If Whelan can help address that and Bruce lets them get higher yup the pitch then I think a lot of those problems will naturally resolve themselves without changing the players.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3087 on: August 01, 2017, 11:43:02 AM »
Part of the problem this team has had over the last few years is that Hutton has often been the centre of all the 'creativity' & unfortunately he is completely incapable of that role

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #3088 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
Hutton sees so much of the ball in advanced areas, we all know he produces very little. Would love to see Bree come along this season, would even prefer Bacuna instead of Hutton.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3089 on: August 01, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
Maybe he will try Elmo RB with Adomah ahead of him.
We are not short of options on the right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal