collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113914 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3060 on: July 30, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
Anyone notice his comments about cover in central defence yesterday?  He (paraphrasing) said that Micah fcukin Richards would be used if he can get himself into shape. 

Every time I see this Cnuts name mentioned I want to punch something.  Now earning what say £60k per week for the privilege of wearing our shirt has turned up for pre season out of shape?!  He has to be one of my most despised Villa players of all time.  And there's a few candidates.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3061 on: July 30, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
In fairness to 'Meeks' (cringe) he's only had most of last season and pre season this year to get in shape.  Villa fans -as always- are far to quick to judge and write a player off.

If we give him the length of time Gabby has had out from his career to recuperate, he might be set.

Fitness alone doesn't account for his brain farts with the ball at his feet though.  Might need to book in for a full frontal lobotomy, just to be safe.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3062 on: July 30, 2017, 09:01:49 PM »
Having been told by a couple of people he's bought a house in Harrogate I had high hopes he was moving to Knaresbrough Town or Pannal Sports.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3063 on: July 31, 2017, 06:28:28 AM »
or even better, Emmerdale.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #3064 on: July 31, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
or even better, Emmerdale.

Or take the high road

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3065 on: July 31, 2017, 10:10:20 PM »
None of the players we have signed so far this window go towards our fundamental problems under Bruce last season: lack of movement off the ball and chance creation. 

The two are intertwined, but -in fairness to Bruce- that first issue goes back longer than his tenure (though for all Bobby Di Matteo's shortcomings, as others have pointed out, his side did create chances).

I'm not entirely convinced that a no.10 as Lambert likes to call them or a similar creative outlet can change a team of plodders on his own. In fact, Lamberk's own attempts with Joe Cole, Gill and Grealish suggest that is unlikely. So a change in how we set up 1-11 and actual coaching is the only real way to remedy our obvious failings.

Agree and I think the key to changing things would be a target man up front.  As you say our movement is non-existent at times (Robbie Keane when he came on loan was probably the last player we had with good movement in the final third) so we do end up going long quite often.  Kodjia and Hogan aren't the type of forwards who will provide a physical presence up front, so the ball ends up coming straight back. 

I thought some of our most threatening periods of play last season came when Gestede and Kodjia played up front together. 

I disagree the problem isint with the strikers, We have 2 of the best in the division. The problem is the movement and creativity in midfield.

Agree about the midfield, but we could have Aguero or Alexis Sanchez up front for us and they'd still struggle if we were pumping balls up in the air for them to challenge against defenders who suited to that type of game. 

I'm not sure any of signings to date really suggest a move to a different style of play.

Hourihane, Lansbury, Hogan, Bree suggested in Jan we would be keeping the ball on the floor under Bruce. Then we moved to 3 centre backs about 2 weeks later.

Elmo and Whelan suggest a kick and rush effort this time.

Bruce hasn't a clue what he is attempting let's be honest, needs to stumble on a winning formula soon but my fear is any good run will only be a short one.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3066 on: July 31, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »
Why does replacing a defensive midfielder with a more mobile and better distributor suggest kick and rush? Why does adding a winger who likes to attack the full back and has good delivery suggest kick and rush?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3067 on: July 31, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »
Seen something over the weekend where he was saying "My remit was to balance the books," or words to that effect.

Conveniently ignoring the c£20 million he spent in January, with what was already one of the best squads in the division. Not too many Championship sides would have been allowed to bring in John Terry on PL wages either.  Probably way to early to be thinking this way, but it sounded vaguely like the kind of pap McLeish, Lamberk and the other chancers started vomiting out when they knew they were up against it.

Any failure can be explained away because success/promotion or whatever obviously isn't the first priority if you are sweating your assets.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #3068 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:46 AM »
Anyone notice his comments about cover in central defence yesterday?  He (paraphrasing) said that Micah fcukin Richards would be used if he can get himself into shape. 

Every time I see this Cnuts name mentioned I want to punch something.  Now earning what say £60k per week for the privilege of wearing our shirt has turned up for pre season out of shape?!  He has to be one of my most despised Villa players of all time.  And there's a few candidates.
Agree entirely, If he arrived for pre season as well out of shape I'd want him fined not played.
I suppose you could argue he has got himself in shape -  a round one

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3069 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »
He was talking about having to sell a couple. It echos previous comments by the owner and fits with FFP. He wasn't using it as an excuse.

It's true he can't keep on buying without getting rid of someone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:16:39 AM by Drummond »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3070 on: August 01, 2017, 12:17:48 AM »
Why does replacing a defensive midfielder with a more mobile and better distributor suggest kick and rush? Why does adding a winger who likes to attack the full back and has good delivery suggest kick and rush?

Agree about Whelan, he looks the business but according to Hull fans, Bodger Bruce's tactic with Elmo (assuming he's the one you think is a winger) was for the keeper to hoof it up out wide for Elmo to head it on. Nothing more.

Can't wait.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3071 on: August 01, 2017, 12:21:46 AM »

Agree about Whelan, he looks the business but according to Hull fans, Bodger Bruce's tactic with Elmo (assuming he's the one you think is a winger) was for the keeper to hoof it up out wide for Elmo to head it on. Nothing more.

Can't wait.

To be fair to Bruce, Hull fans maybe a bit wrong there, that is not how Elmo was played against Watford. He looked, dare I say it, skillful?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3072 on: August 01, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »

Can't wait.

We were definitely doing that on Saturday.

I'm also not convinced by the 'attack the full back' comment.  He did it in Germany but it's not something he's got a reputation for.  In fact if you want a right winger to beat his man, get crosses in and score a few goals then Adomah is better option.  If Elmo played on the left then I'd agree that he was an upgrade and it suggested we'd be looking to get it wide and get crosses in regularly but he's a side grade at most on what we had but a few people seem to have convinced themselves otherwise on the back of 45 minutes in Germany.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3073 on: August 01, 2017, 12:35:06 AM »
Maybe he's just one of those players Bruce likes. He signed him for Sunderland, Hull and now Villa. He also likes Micah Richards, "good to have around", like Stan Boardman on the coach to Wembley. If it's comedy we're after Mark Bunn is highly rated by the players. Expect him to follow Bruce to his next club next summer.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #3074 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »
What does Mark Bunn do that's so funny? Has he got a sharp Blackadderesque wit, or is he more from the Steve Harrison school of performance art?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal