collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113237 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2910 on: July 19, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
Almost a year on since he took over a side that had won 4 in 50 and suffered one of the most catastrophically poor seasons in English football since 1888, let alone our own history.

I was more hopeful than most we'd shake off the cloak of failure, but the scales fell from my eyes second half at Bristol City when we did our best to collapse in a vintage season 2015/16 manner.

He needs to average 0.6 points per game on balance, to give us a significantly high chance of automatic promotion. Fine margins.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #2911 on: July 19, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
Still no game plan.  Out. 

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #2912 on: July 19, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
Whilst I agree with the sentiment regarding our lacklustre play of late, I think it is a little early for the Bruce out comments. If nothing changes after the first five or six games of the season then it will be time for close scrutiny of Bruce and his 'methods'.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2913 on: July 19, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »
Whilst I agree with the sentiment regarding our lacklustre play of late, I think it is a little early for the Bruce out comments. If nothing changes after the first five or six games of the season then it will be time for close scrutiny of Bruce and his 'methods'.

This season is make or break for us, we simply don't have time to patiently sit and wait in hope it'll work out. Bruce either identifies the problem and gets the link between midfield and attack sorted soon or he has to go before the end of THIS window so someone can come in and sort it immediately.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2914 on: July 19, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »

but then do we write off the entirety of next season because it's apparently an impossible task to make the playoffs if you have a bad start to the season.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2915 on: July 19, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »
How about we wait and see if we have a bad start. That might be an idea.

People have whipped themselves up into believing all the "gone by October" nonsense.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2916 on: July 19, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
Reading the recent posts makes me laugh really. It was all said last season. Bruce should have been sacked at the end of last season or even before that when we were safe. We're stuck with him now for another season. I really hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. His brand of football is history, there's no doubt about that.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2917 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »

People have whipped themselves up into believing all the "gone by October" nonsense.
People just want to see some sort of tangible progress.  We all know pre-season is not the be all and end all, but as the faults and deficiencies in the games so far look ominously similar to last season it is pretty easy to feel pessimistic.

If we had been flying at the end of last season with a clear game plan, stuttering now whilst we get back up to speed would be acceptable.  If we were playing really well in pre-season but losing the odd goal because of silly mistakes again that would be ok.  But when it looks like absolutely nothing has changed in terms of style of play, effectiveness & scoring goals, then it's a real worry.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2918 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
Yep, we look atrocious, every midfielder at the club with the exception of Jedinak look like they should be playing Sunday football. If there was a really good shout for a manager to come in that would very likely turn us around properly I'd say replace him but I really don't know who that would be so for the time being we're probably best to let him finish the job and see where we get.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #2919 on: July 19, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »
People just want to see some sort of tangible progress. 

How do we see any of that before we've even kicked a ball ???

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2920 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
People just want to see some sort of tangible progress. 

How do we see any of that before we've even kicked a ball ???
We've kicked quite a few balls.  The rest of the post refers specifically to pre-season so I'm not going to repeat it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2921 on: July 19, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
I don't think any one thinks he will be sacked before the season is well underway.
I reckon he has 8 to 10 games and in the mix.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2922 on: July 19, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Its July. What do you expect?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2923 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Its July. What do you expect?
August.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2924 on: July 19, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »

because you, along with others told us to wait until he'd got his own players, then to wait for them to settle, then to wait until he'd had a pre-season and the problem is we have the same glaringly obvious problems now that we did last December.  I do get the idea of being patient and I'm normally the same , look at the posts I make about various kids as they break through to the full squad but you can only be patient if you think there's a reward for that at the end and I've seen nothing in all the time Bruce has been here to suggest that will come.

You mentioned earlier that we need an extra 0.6 points per game as if it's simple but that's 9 defeats into wins over the season, that is in no way a fine margin and it's not something that will just happen by doing what we did last season.  There was lots of talk about RDM leaving a squad that weren't fit enough but I've not seen anything to suggest the portuguese training camp has us significnatly fitter than we were in pre-season last season.

If you xcan pick out anything that suggests that we're on course to get top 2 right now then I'll concede that the complaints are impatience (oh and what Bruce has done in the past doesn't count because that's what got him the job but it can't be used continually as the only reason for him keeping it).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal