collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113866 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2820 on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
I feel it's worse at Sunderland. They've been decaying from the outside in for longer than we have and nothing seems likely to change that. A double dip is on the cards.

Their parachute payments will be considerably more than ours though, surely?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2821 on: May 22, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »
We should be asking Steve Bruce to adopt Alex Ferguson's way and Manchester United playing style and get this working for Aston Villa. He know the system and played for them, he could ask Alex for advice if needed. It is not nuclear physics. we need a system and identity.

If it was that easy, Keane, Ince and all the rest of Fergie's patsies at other clubs might have cracked it by now.

Besides, when Bruce was there Fergie was still a meat and potatoes 4-4-2 merchant. Centerbacks boofing the ball away and wingers or second strikers providing the invention. It was the arrival of Queiroz and others that dragged Yanited into the 21st century.  Though credit to Fergie for at least breaking the mould and giving jobs to coaches with new ideas, rather than just his mates.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2822 on: May 22, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I feel it's worse at Sunderland. They've been decaying from the outside in for longer than we have and nothing seems likely to change that. A double dip is on the cards.

I think so yes. They'd be hard pressed to spend as much as we did mind.

They need root and branch change. Short is as clueless as Randy and their squad is absolutely desperate.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2823 on: May 22, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
Sunderland are the very epitome of us 12 months ago.  Despicably bad on the field, a totally disinterested owner off it, no Manager and a very shit squad.  They in my opinion will finish where we did this season.

Probably worse because there's little chance of a new owner and the big spending we did.  Hull look just as bad and Boro don't look likely to be challenging at the top either.  That's why there really can't be any excuses, the quality in the league is definitely lower than last season.
Middlesbrough's chairman reckons they're going to "smash" the championship
Let's hope he is as accurate as our own smash predictor :)

Offline KRS

« Reply #2824 on: May 22, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »
Well there's talk of about 15 players leaving Sunderland, players refusing to play in games, and Defoe is already negotiating a move to Bournemouth.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2825 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »
This stuff about waiting for Wagner is just fanciful it really is.  Bruce is going nowhere.  And that even assumes Wagner would be stupid enough to consider it.  He's a very clever German bloke with ambition.  He doesn't need to risk his career on the lottery that is Villa.

He was prepared to last season before we got Bruce in but that is irrelevant now. Bruce is here for the start of next season.

Have I missed something? Wagner wanted to come here?

Not having a pop, it's just the first time I've read this.

Offline cdward

« Reply #2826 on: May 22, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
Well there's talk of about 15 players leaving Sunderland, players refusing to play in games, and Defoe is already negotiating a move to Bournemouth.

So Lescott has made his mark there too.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2827 on: May 22, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
This stuff about waiting for Wagner is just fanciful it really is.  Bruce is going nowhere.  And that even assumes Wagner would be stupid enough to consider it.  He's a very clever German bloke with ambition.  He doesn't need to risk his career on the lottery that is Villa.

He was prepared to last season before we got Bruce in but that is irrelevant now. Bruce is here for the start of next season.

I imagine it was the reason we delayed in appointing Bruce. Shame he decided to stick it out there, trusting in his own ability without a pot to piss in.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2828 on: May 22, 2017, 11:51:24 PM »

I imagine it was the reason we delayed in appointing Bruce. Shame he decided to stick it out there, trusting in his own ability without a pot to piss in.

How do we know this?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2829 on: May 23, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »

Clubs get £40 million in their first season after relegation, £33 million during their second and £14 million in season three.

So we get £7 million less than them next year. Not the biggest amount, all things considered.

We could really do with getting promoted next year or the one after at the very latest though.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2830 on: May 23, 2017, 12:08:18 AM »
I don't think we KNOW anything but there were definitely stories around it and I seem to recall stories of their chairman warning us off.  Now how that translates him being tempted is the real grey area.  We also don't know how that would translate to any interest this time around and I think it's fairly clear that Bruce is under no real pressure so the whole thing is academic.  What's really frustrating is that for the first time in years we have a manager who has missed his targets and has a contract that means we wouldn't have to pay him off and we're just going to stick with it instead of even having a discrete look around.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2831 on: May 23, 2017, 12:20:49 AM »
Don't worry. Sunderland are every bit as inept at signing players as we are and shell out loads on utter bollocks. They'll fuck up their parachute payments I'm convinced of it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2832 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:31 AM »
Well, it's difficult to know whether Sunderland will fuck up their transfers when we don't know who will be making them.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2833 on: May 23, 2017, 12:36:38 AM »

Clubs get £40 million in their first season after relegation, £33 million during their second and £14 million in season three.

So we get £7 million less than them next year. Not the biggest amount, all things considered.

We could really do with getting promoted next year or the one after at the very latest though.

Isn't it more for clubs relegated now as what we get is based on the old deal and Sunderland etc will be on the new deal?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2834 on: May 23, 2017, 12:41:53 AM »
Ermmm.... I dunno.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal