collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114732 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2790 on: May 22, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
Bruce ain't going to set the "Villa Way" - that's down to Round and Wyness.
We need someone to establish a team that is good for promotion and also provides a foundation for the first season back in the Prem. Is that really SB? - not convinced.
Definitely not SB which kinda throws the stability argument out of the window

Stability is very important if the alternative is hiring yet another poor/mediocre manager.
I agree with Mister E though, I would hope/expect that a club of our size and relative wealth that spends two seasons in the Championship should return to the PL completely reborn and prepared. I don't see that with Bruce, just more the same of what we've suffered these last 6 or 7 years. He may manage to scrape promotion next season but I doubt many will really be looking forward to the new season. More apprehension and surviving a relegation battle than going up to show them what we can do with our new found style, swagger and confidence.

Whichever way I look at the future season(s), I can only see it being ugly, even in victory and success. Maybe I'll be more positive as the new season draws closer but I somehow doubt it.
Yes, and my main point was about Round and Wyness do what they need to do: establish the "Villa Way" and then they can assess whether Bruce has what it takes to deliver it.

My guess is Round (and Wyness) defined "the Villa Way" as ugly football based on the last 17+ years and thinks that's what we like.

they certainly made the right choice in Bruce then

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2791 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
The ball is firmly in Bruce's court now, it's entirely up to him to show he deserves the job, no excuses. The board are fully backing him to trim the squad, bring in three or four signings, everything seems well organised and planned by Wyness. He says he has a great relationship with Bruce, backstage everything seems prepared for promotion next season. At least Wyness has clearly stated the is the only objective. He's also honest enough to say that last season wasn't good enough.

I always felt that RDM was told he needed to 'entertain' the Villa faithful and never got the basics in place before achieving that objective. Bruce was more lucky in the fact we were struggling to get results and needed points on the board, first and foremost. I don't doubt that the club realise his football has been ugly, flaccid and with no real plan but are hoping he can firstly get the points and then turn it around and actually entertain us, especially given the players he has.

Much like asking Paul Lambert to develop young and hungry, I can't see Bruce being able to deliver the second part. It's not what he does or has ever done. I found it strange that in 2017 Wyness was full of praise for Bruce's "man-management" but never once mentioned his tactical ability. Maybe he realises what plenty on here see, it's going to be ugly, disjointed, frustrating to watch but praying that we need to get promoted by all means necessary, even if it means a complete rebuild and new strategy with a new manager once we're promoted.

My only fear is he doesn't realise this and he's allowing himself to be too close and friendly with Bruce. One thing is backing the manager in public, giving him the tools to do the job, it's quite another to pinch your nose and pretend you can't smell the shit.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #2792 on: May 22, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
Last season wasn't good enough despite spending more than almost any club on the planet during the same period. Outcome...stick with the charlatan. Well done Wyness you're as clueless as the rest of them.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #2793 on: May 22, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »
Doesn't Di Matteo shoulder most of the blame for the current squad?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #2794 on: May 22, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »
We should be asking Steve Bruce to adopt Alex Ferguson's way and Manchester United playing style and get this working for Aston Villa. He know the system and played for them, he could ask Alex for advice if needed. It is not nuclear physics. we need a system and identity.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2795 on: May 22, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
We should be asking Steve Bruce to adopt Alex Ferguson's way and Manchester United playing style and get this working for Aston Villa. He know the system and played for them, he could ask Alex for advice if needed. It is not nuclear physics. we need a system and identity.
He won't do that and why should he?? This is the Steve Bruce way. It's nothing new, he's been doing it this way all his managerial career. The fact that it's awful and will be incompatible with the modern Premier League should have been recognised by the people that hired him. We all know it as his record indicates it. It's just poor and I still find it hard to believe he's our manager

Offline KRS

« Reply #2796 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »
Well the managerial merry-go-round has started...Moyes has resigned. If Moyes can do it...then you can too Bruce! ;)

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2797 on: May 22, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Well the managerial merry-go-round has started...Moyes has resigned. If Moyes can do it...then you can too Bruce! ;)
And so Sunderland steal an early march on us. Depressing.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #2798 on: May 22, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

Most likely told they don't have a pot to piss in as he was on a multi-million pound contract..

Offline KRS

« Reply #2799 on: May 22, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »
Yep I would imagine it would have come to transfer budget too especially with any half decent players having to be sold in the summer, and knowing he wouldn't be able to turn the club around for an immediate return as per the club and fans expectations.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2800 on: May 22, 2017, 05:20:50 PM »

In what way have they stolen a march on us?

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2801 on: May 22, 2017, 05:29:29 PM »

First shots at available managers. 

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2802 on: May 22, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »

Most likely told they don't have a pot to piss in as he was on a multi-million pound contract..

Resigned and didn't take any compensation apparently.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2803 on: May 22, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »
This stuff about waiting for Wagner is just fanciful it really is.  Bruce is going nowhere.  And that even assumes Wagner would be stupid enough to consider it.  He's a very clever German bloke with ambition.  He doesn't need to risk his career on the lottery that is Villa.

He was prepared to last season before we got Bruce in but that is irrelevant now. Bruce is here for the start of next season.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2804 on: May 22, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »

First shots at available managers. 

Who's available at the moment?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal