collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113053 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2745 on: May 20, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
Get us up you potato, and earn your money. If he gets us up, he deserves the chance to carry on. That's how I see it. I don't like him, but who are we going to get? The guy at Fulham?

See this is exactly my concern.  If we try to play this way in the premier league we'll get battered but if we go up this sentiment will be common so we'll be straight back into the short-term relegation dodging cycle. 

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2746 on: May 20, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
Get us up you potato, and earn your money. If he gets us up, he deserves the chance to carry on. That's how I see it. I don't like him, but who are we going to get? The guy at Fulham?

See this is exactly my concern.  If we try to play this way in the premier league we'll get battered but if we go up this sentiment will be common so we'll be straight back into the short-term relegation dodging cycle. 

True, mate. I think a winning campaign though, where we'll have to play pretty decently to go up automatically, will see a surge in confidence and some better players signed.

If he's crap, get rid. I'm torn between sentimentalism and realism, admittedly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:22:17 PM by Axl Rose »

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2747 on: May 20, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
It's the Aston Villa illness it must be.  I was listening to Nigel Spink on one of the phone ins a few months back when Bruce was being touted. He waxed lyrical about how detailed Bruce was about player recruitment and analysis.  That he really made use of pro zone etc.  That he used to get real insight into the players character before recruiting them.  Then he rocks up to Villa gets a manager bounce for a few games and we end the season with a team playing like they've met for the first time each game they play.  It's unfathomable.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2748 on: May 20, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
Wyness has given Bruce his backing, I guess that Tony has given the manager his confidence. Stability is the name of the game imho, build on what we have achieved this season (whatever you believe - he has stopped the rot) onwards and upwards. We will get promoted next season, with Bruce in charge, I am confident of that.
Strong and stable is the buzzword  however we may to settle for mediocre and  stable with this man.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #2749 on: May 20, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
What appears to make the difference in this league is organisation coupled with pace. We have no pace, and that has to change in the Summer. I have faith that Bruce can get us organised, whether he can add a bit of pace to the team remains to be seen. We have to have the slowest midfield in the division.

Pace of individual players is less important in this league than playing with high tempo.  Moving the ball around quickly comes from a decision by the manager.
Works in every League.

Offline alftitimus

« Reply #2750 on: May 21, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »
 :D

I keep returning to this thread, like a dog gnawing a bone.

;D

Steve is not a Brilliant Manager, and never has been, not a magician who can switch tactics mid-game, nor read and negate, an opposition's strengths.

BUT...I wouldn't sack him

Steve has achieved his promotions from this division, with 80-90% remaining Premier players. When he was at the other lot, himself or their owners - (probably Lady Karren)- had the contacts and ability to sign on loan the cream of Arsenal's up-comers.
Muamba, Larsson and Bendtner. I doubt that will happen again.

Steve has been unable to get loanees of such relative quality since.
When he walked out of Hull after promotion, a few days after his England Manager interview, he let it be known that it was a "Transfer Budget" problem.

So will he do the same here?
He has a seemingly worse "Transfer Budget" problem now. :(

I think he misjudged the nods-an-winks at England, so he is here with his reputation at stake, having being overlooked like Redknnapp. From his walkout at Hull, his brief sabbatical at his estate in Portugal, he came back into the swing
Re-England - -  IF Gareth S. fails, and it'll take a while because of our easy WC Group, Steve may have another shot at England...but only if he performs. Redknapp is too old and Pullis is Welsh. ;D

I don't mind if he walks-out-on us for England, in a depressing scenario following a
Gareth-Total-Failure...because he would walk out on us after a success.
Promotion.

He has very few quality players here - imo - and they may be the first sold, because of Mr Xia's reckless gamble with finances.

In my memory, I can't recall Steve ever getting quality loans since he left those over there.
At all his subsequent clubs.
So it will be hard for him to begin from basics with lesser quality loanees.

But he can do it. Warnock does it, even Holloway does it, even with the rubbish players they inherited.

Don't Sack Him..... let's hope that he still has ambition and self-belief to fly, stagger or crawl us to Promotion.
Or will he settle for a Lambert/Sherwood/De Matteo /Garde type pay-off ?
The "Villa-Way" since Doug ...  :'(

I think his ego is enough to drive him, to drive us. I hope anyway. If it isn't and he keeps his obsession with comfort-food.... then that's it.

:(

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:54:35 AM by alftitimus »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2751 on: May 21, 2017, 07:58:41 AM »
Reading your posts is the visual equivalent of gnawing a bone.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #2752 on: May 21, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
Kelvin McKenzie's job is up for grabs Alftitimus. Get on the dog and bone.

Offline brian green

« Reply #2753 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
You will like the Currant Bun😁

Very good on football😀

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2754 on: May 21, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
bring me sunshine!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2755 on: May 21, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
Some are Wise and some otherwise.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #2756 on: May 21, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
Reading your posts is the visual equivalent of gnawing a bone.
Yes you don't know where to start of finish and there are some nice but difficult to get at bits :-\

Offline brian green

« Reply #2757 on: May 21, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
And you struggle not to bite your tongue and gnash your teeth.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2758 on: May 21, 2017, 04:47:22 PM »
Bruce ain't going to set the "Villa Way" - that's down to Round and Wyness.
We need someone to establish a team that is good for promotion and also provides a foundation for the first season back in the Prem. Is that really SB? - not convinced.

Online Allan C

« Reply #2759 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:27 PM »
Bruce ain't going to set the "Villa Way" - that's down to Round and Wyness.
We need someone to establish a team that is good for promotion and also provides a foundation for the first season back in the Prem. Is that really SB? - not convinced.
Definitely not SB which kinda throws the stability argument out of the window

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal