collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:32:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:27:04 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 01:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2112975 times)

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2700 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
Bruce is our 4th manager since Lambert got the bullet in Feb 2015. Is it any wonder that the players and coaching are in such a mess? It's hard to comprehend what goes on behind the scenes but it's pretty much certain that there is a load of shite that needs sorting. At some point we need someone with experience to sort the mess out once and for all. Firing and hiring another manager isn't necessarily the best option for the club, even if it means we might see better performances on the pitch...and again, there's no certainty of that happening if he's got the job of assessing who he wants to sell and keep in the summer. At least Bruce has a head start when it comes to preseason and sorting the shit out that couldn't be done whilst the season was in progress.

Agree

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2701 on: May 19, 2017, 07:04:33 AM »
I am in the let him stay for now camp.  Mainly through manager fatigue.  I think the concept of Bruce being "wrong" for us, to me, is like getting porridge for your breakfast when you were hoping for bacon and eggs.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2702 on: May 19, 2017, 07:07:45 AM »
Bruce is our 4th manager since Lambert got the bullet in Feb 2015. Is it any wonder that the players and coaching are in such a mess? It's hard to comprehend what goes on behind the scenes but it's pretty much certain that there is a load of shite that needs sorting. At some point we need someone with experience to sort the mess out once and for all. Firing and hiring another manager isn't necessarily the best option for the club, even if it means we might see better performances on the pitch...and again, there's no certainty of that happening if he's got the job of assessing who he wants to sell and keep in the summer. At least Bruce has a head start when it comes to preseason and sorting the shit out that couldn't be done whilst the season was in progress.

Agree

Me too.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #2703 on: May 19, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
I am in the let him stay for now camp.  Mainly through manager fatigue.  I think the concept of Bruce being "wrong" for us, to me, is like getting porridge for your breakfast when you were hoping for bacon and eggs.
The difference being that Porridge is good for you (us)

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #2704 on: May 19, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »

Such wisdom, friends.

I would point out that I like a little sugar in my porridge to make it palatable, even tasty.

Mr. Bruce really needs to add a little sugar too as his porridge is lumpy and stodgy.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2705 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:27 AM »
Well, I think if we were getting rid of him this Summer, he'd have gone by now.

If it was up to me, he'd have been punted, but I'm not devastated that he hasn't been. I still think it could work out. We'll see.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2706 on: May 19, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »
Most of his biggest supporters say "give him 10/12 games" type stuff. When that's the opinion of most that wouldn't sack now, basically making him a dead man walking, it doesn't say much for the confidence any of us have in him.

Good point.  We have to have confidence in the manager to get us promoted or you change now.

We need positiveness in the Club so that translates through the players to performances on the pitch.

Having seen what Bruce brought to the Club over an extended period last season, I must say I do not have that confidence and failure (if it happens) will see us with a Bruce team that will need ripping up and starting all over again.

I am for making a positive move now to get out of this 'traditional club always living 5 years in the past'. I do fear that it's too much for the people surrounding Dr Xia though.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2707 on: May 19, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
I feel that those in charge have faith in him as a man and a manager. There is not the slightest hint that his job is under pressure and that must be because people like Wyness and Round feel he has bought into their vision and will deliver just as his record suggests. So this talk of 10 or 12 games is only relevant if you expect him to fail. The club clearly do not and neither do I.

I read plenty about style of play but this league is generally a grind with the occasional flourish. That is inevitable due to the number of game. From what I have seen of the teams going up and in the play offs what characterises them is hard work and efficiency; making fewer mistakes than the opposition. Yes, they occasionally look much better than that but I see that as the exception rather than the rule.

The other thing that needs to change, in my view, is the constant condescending idea that it is a shit league. It is, by definition, not going to be as good as the one above it, that is just an inevitability as they hoover up so much of the available talent. What it is though, in my view, is an extremely competitive division with players and managers who are desperate to make the step up where anything you get has to be earned.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2708 on: May 19, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
Well said Chris. The point about the style of play is bang on.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #2709 on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:37 AM »
What appears to make the difference in this league is organisation coupled with pace. We have no pace, and that has to change in the Summer. I have faith that Bruce can get us organised, whether he can add a bit of pace to the team remains to be seen. We have to have the slowest midfield in the division.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2710 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
Competitive it is indeed, when 6th place hits 80 points.

I agree with you Chris and I think the point about making fewer mistakes is right on the money. Compare how many goals we saw either for or against us that were a result of a simple error rather than good play.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2711 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
Let's see how we feel in October.  I hope we are all feeling much more pro Bruce but I have followed Villa for too long not to know you don't have to build your hopes up.  I still stick to promotion in 3 -5 years (next year being year 2) with or without Steve Bruce.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2712 on: May 19, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
I feel that those in charge have faith in him as a man and a manager. There is not the slightest hint that his job is under pressure and that must be because people like Wyness and Round feel he has bought into their vision and will deliver just as his record suggests. So this talk of 10 or 12 games is only relevant if you expect him to fail. The club clearly do not and neither do I.

I read plenty about style of play but this league is generally a grind with the occasional flourish. That is inevitable due to the number of game. From what I have seen of the teams going up and in the play offs what characterises them is hard work and efficiency; making fewer mistakes than the opposition. Yes, they occasionally look much better than that but I see that as the exception rather than the rule.

The other thing that needs to change, in my view, is the constant condescending idea that it is a shit league. It is, by definition, not going to be as good as the one above it, that is just an inevitability as they hoover up so much of the available talent. What it is though, in my view, is an extremely competitive division with players and managers who are desperate to make the step up where anything you get has to be earned.

I agree with the style of play comment 100%. I'd go a little further on that to say the style of play needs to lend itself to creating chances....we've scored 3 times twice only this season & other than Nottm Forest at home I really don't remember games where we have left thinking that we actually created lots of chances?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2713 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
When people, criticise the style of play that's what they mean.  No one expects us to turn into Barcelona and dominate every game for 90 minutes but we need to be much more effective at creating and taking chances.

The fewer mistakes thing is important as well, teams don't make many defensive errors against us because we don't put them under any pressure.

Finally it's not condescending to think this is a shit league, it's being honest.  It being a shit standard and being competitive aren't contradictions.  You need 3 things to win this league:

1-2 players that can provide some magic - we have those, Kodjia and Grealish made about 15 goals from nothing between them.
A plan for how to score goals when those players aren't doing it - we don't have this.
The fitness levels to play 2 games a week regularly all through the squad - we're getting there with this one.

The 2nd point is where Bruce needs to step up because after 35 games he still hasn't figured that one out yet.  I think he'll try to solve it by improving us at set pieces, which may work but won't be the best use of the squad.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2714 on: May 19, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »

But tastes like shit

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal