collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113677 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2670 on: May 18, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
Sorry double post.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2671 on: May 18, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
I reckon he'll have 10 games to keep his job. If we are outside the top 6 by then, he'll be gone.
I understand your point but can't agree that this would be a sensible approach.
At that point, Bruce will have spent whatever money is available on new players. He will had had control of pre season and would have primed the team for the season.
If he were to go after 10 games, that would be around October.
By the time a new bloke were in, settled and got the team playing how he wants, it could be much too late. In fact, a mirror image of the season just gone.

All the important work is coming in the next 3 months.
If the club has 100% confidence in him then all well and good, but if there are any doubts about Bruce, he has to go now.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #2672 on: May 18, 2017, 07:33:43 AM »
If we stick with him well be fucked IMO

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2673 on: May 18, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
As I commented a couple of weeks ago, if promotion is to be won next season it will be won or lost at Bodymoor Heath this summer.  The couldn't get my gates open attitude has to be crushed like a cockroach.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2674 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
I reckon he'll have 10 games to keep his job. If we are outside the top 6 by then, he'll be gone.
I understand your point but can't agree that this would be a sensible approach.
At that point, Bruce will have spent whatever money is available on new players. He will had had control of pre season and would have primed the team for the season.
If he were to go after 10 games, that would be around October.
By the time a new bloke were in, settled and got the team playing how he wants, it could be much too late. In fact, a mirror image of the season just gone.

All the important work is coming in the next 3 months.
If the club has 100% confidence in him then all well and good, but if there are any doubts about Bruce, he has to go now.

Agree totally.  If we get to 10 games and we are out of touch, we can start preparing for the following season. Trying to hang in there stops you developing as we have seen this season.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2675 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
Problem Paul, with respect is that of that team only Chester, Taylor, Jedinak and Kodjia have shown sufficient form to be automatic choices.   All the others have shown flashes of talent buried in inconsistency.

I agree, I just think it's the best we can do with what we have.

Online KRS

« Reply #2676 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
I don't want Bruce as our manager but making a change now after he's been working with the squad and assessing the club for the best part of the season would probably be a mistake. If we replace him now, then the next manager will need to do all his own work, make his own assessment of the club and the squad, and we start next season with a big cloud of doubt hanging over the club with a load of players that we've been unable to shift.

May be the best way is to give Bruce the benefit of the doubt, let him get rid of the players deemed surplus to requirements and bring in the players that he needs to complete his team with the reduced transfer funds available. Its a gamble one way or another, but as it stands, its probably a safer bet to back Bruce...unless we are able to bring in a genuine forward thinking manager.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2677 on: May 18, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
I don't want Bruce as our manager but making a change now after he's been working with the squad and assessing the club for the best part of the season would probably be a mistake. If we replace him now, then the next manager will need to do all his own work, make his own assessment of the club and the squad, and we start next season with a big cloud of doubt hanging over the club with a load of players that we've been unable to shift.

May be the best way is to give Bruce the benefit of the doubt, let him get rid of the players deemed surplus to requirements and bring in the players that he needs to complete his team with the reduced transfer funds available. Its a gamble one way or another, but as it stands, its probably a safer bet to back Bruce...unless we are able to bring in a genuine forward thinking manager.
I can't agree, now is the time to change. If he continues we will have a Bruce team and be a Bruce club, dour.  A new forward thinking manager will get the best out of what could be a great squad. Bruce hasn't done that, even in this poor league. He's got to go now.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2678 on: May 18, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »
surely he would have gone by now if thats the way they were thinking

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #2679 on: May 18, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »
He won't go now but if say he did go after 10 games and assuming we aren't miles out of touch, then there is plenty of time for a new manager to turn it around.
I know a lot has been placed on pre-season, my worry is that if he can't get it right over 35 games (or thereabouts), what's a pre-season going to solve?
I hope he gets it right, I just haven't seen anything that leads me to think he will though...

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2680 on: May 18, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
Maybe the targets we went to before Bruce last time might be available this summer? I recall before his appointment him talking about having a meeting at Villa and waiting on the answer.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2681 on: May 18, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
surely he would have gone by now if thats the way they were thinking

I'd be waiting to find out who is available in the summer before deciding to get rid.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2682 on: May 18, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
Who's going to come in knowing that we're likely not to be spending much? Bruce would be gone if he was going.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2683 on: May 18, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
Who's going to come in knowing that we're likely not to be spending much? Bruce would be gone if he was going.

I think we will be retaining his services as well. But if they want Wagner, they won't pot Bruce until what league Huddersfield are in next season is resolved.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2684 on: May 18, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »
He won't go now but if say he did go after 10 games and assuming we aren't miles out of touch, then there is plenty of time for a new manager to turn it around.
I know a lot has been placed on pre-season, my worry is that if he can't get it right over 35 games (or thereabouts), what's a pre-season going to solve?
I hope he gets it right, I just haven't seen anything that leads me to think he will though...

We've seen the folly of that first part this season.  That's not a scenario I'd wish to revisit.

Agree with the rest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal