collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113276 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2655 on: May 17, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
I really don't see Dr Xia being slow to pull the trigger, it's really all about the start for me. Winning our first 3 games is needed to settle everyone down.

There's a lot of games in August and September, I think we played 12 last season so over a quarter of a season. If anything the owner is probably looking at things now and thinking he gave RDM too long.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2656 on: May 17, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »
Fair enough, but will you call for his head if we don't win any of the first 3? If we don't, but then go on a decent run and win 6 or 7 out of the next 9, we'll be doing ok assuming not too many losses.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2657 on: May 17, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
Whatever we do is a gamble. You either gamble on Bruce coming up with a way of playing that gets the best out of the squad. Or you gamble on changing in the summer for a more forward thinking manager. What you cannot do is a bit of both.

If the board are convinced Bruce us the man to get us up then they have to stick with him even if we have an iffy start to the season.

If they aren't convinced he will get us up then they need to change it now.

There can't be any half way house of giving him a couple of months.

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2658 on: May 17, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Whatever we do is a gamble. You either gamble on Bruce coming up with a way of playing that gets the best out of the squad. Or you gamble on changing in the summer for a more forward thinking manager. What you cannot do is a bit of both.

If the board are convinced Bruce us the man to get us up then they have to stick with him even if we have an iffy start to the season.

This is bang on, in my opinion. Next season we absolutely have to go up, we cannot afford to waste another year.

I would add though, that if they decided that Bruce wasn't up to it, they need to make sure that they have lined someone up that can do the job with the squad that we've got. There should be enough quality there to get us up, but having watched them all season, I still don't know what our best formation is. Any new manager will need to know what to do with them all and know how to get the best out of players. Even Bruce's biggest fans wouldn't claim he's been getting the most out of a team made up of some of the best, and most exciting, Championship players money can buy.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2659 on: May 17, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »

This is bang on, in my opinion. Next season we absolutely have to go up, we cannot afford to waste another year.

I would add though, that if they decided that Bruce wasn't up to it, they need to make sure that they have lined someone up that can do the job with the squad that we've got. There should be enough quality there to get us up, but having watched them all season, I still don't know what our best formation is. Any new manager will need to know what to do with them all and know how to get the best out of players. Even Bruce's biggest fans wouldn't claim he's been getting the most out of a team made up of some of the best, and most exciting, Championship players money can buy.

As odd as it's going to look I'd be aiming for something like this:

Offline achilles

« Reply #2660 on: May 17, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »

This is exactly right, lets start next season with the perceived, by the board, of the RIGHT manager to get us promotion and stick with him for the whole season.
No messing about in the middle of the season when we lose a couple of matches or we aren't playing attractive football!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2661 on: May 17, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the football will still be shit whether we are top or bottom of the League!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2662 on: May 17, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
If any can be arsed it would be interesting to know in the full campaign seasons Bruce has got a team promoted how has he started? Is it slow then it picks up, or is it that his teams were always near the top then successfully saw the job to completion?

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #2663 on: May 17, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
If any can be arsed it would be interesting to know in the full campaign seasons Bruce has got a team promoted how has he started? Is it slow then it picks up, or is it that his teams were always near the top then successfully saw the job to completion?

When Hull went up in 2015/2016 they never dropped below 6th and were actually top for about a month in January/February but ultimately finished 4th.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2664 on: May 17, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »

Pretty sure the two years he took Hull up they started very strongly and were top 2 for most of the first half of the season. After xmas they had a wobble, first year they just about clung onto 2nd and last year they went up via the play offs.

Edit: Season 12/13 Hull won 4 of their first 6 league games and same again in 15/16.

It's fair to say that start to the season would do very nicely.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:17:01 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2665 on: May 18, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »

As odd as it's going to look I'd be aiming for something like this:

Not sure Taylor and Bree are attacking enough to play without wingers Paul.  I hope we sign a good CB in the summer and I think along with De Laet returning, we should have a very solid back four. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:04:38 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #2666 on: May 18, 2017, 05:23:34 AM »
I reckon he'll have 10 games to keep his job. If we are outside the top 6 by then, he'll be gone.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2667 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:26 AM »
too late by then to affect real change, as we saw with RDM last season. If he is to go it has to be in the next few weeks.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2668 on: May 18, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
Problem Paul, with respect is that of that team only Chester, Taylor, Jedinak and Kodjia have shown sufficient form to be automatic choices.   All the others have shown flashes of talent buried in inconsistency.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2669 on: May 18, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
Problem Paul, with respect is that of that team only Chester, Taylor, Jedinak and Kodjia have shown sufficient form to be automatic choices.   All the others have shown flashes of talent buried in inconsistency.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal