collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114307 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2580 on: May 12, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
We played six, maybe seven games of attractive counter attacking football under Lambert.
Under Bruce we have played zero games of attractive football of any kind (that I have seen).

We had terrible terrible runs under Lambert against opposition of all kinds.
Under Bruce we have had good and terrible runs against always poor opposition.

Lambert became. Well. If not deranged then lets say somewhat bizarre in his comments.
Bruce has always been sane and considered in his comments.

....Sod it I cant finish this.

I just want us to bloody well play like Aston Villa for a change. I am tired of being the lucky underdog nicking a win here and there. Thats not us or at least its not who we should be.

It's been eight, nine years of unfun "football" now. Perhaps we need to accept that what we're currently offered is "like the Villa".

Outside of ourselves, there really can't be many folks who remember us as anything much better than turgid.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2581 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »
I still think Lambert did a decent job under bad circumstance.
Whereas Bruce is doing a bad job under decent circumstances.
LOL true.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2582 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »

There are plenty who would have done a worse job given the constraints. I wouldn't say that's the same as doing a decent job.

Decent from the point that he kept us up, that is all. He should have gone earlier, but looking at the status of the board at the time, I wouldn't have trusted them to select a better manager.

I would have said our relegation season was more embarrassing than Lambert tenure.

Yep, I agree with all that.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2583 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
Lambert should have been sacked after the humiliation at Chelsea. I'd have had more respect for him if he had resigned there and then but he stayed and festered at the club and humiliated us (and himself) time and time again. The man had no self respect. It was money over pride for him.

He should have been sacked straight after the final whistle such was the humiliation. There was no coming back from that and it proved to be the case. Had we done so and still failed we would have at least shown that we tried to do something to stop the rot.  Doing nothing and just carrying on as before in hope was piss poor management of the club.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2584 on: May 12, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
I never really get why Lambert should either have quit or been sacked straight after the 8-0 but virtually no one says the same about MON after losing 7-1 there a few years earlier with a much better side.
Without a doubt Lambert should have gone before he did but as shit as the Chelsea result was I can't help thinking it would have been harsh at the time to sack a manager for a 5th defeat in 15 games (those defeats were at Man C, Spurs, Chelsea and Fulham plus Manure at home) and we were through to what looked a near bye to a cup final.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2585 on: May 12, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »

There are plenty who would have done a worse job given the constraints. I wouldn't say that's the same as doing a decent job.

Decent from the point that he kept us up, that is all. He should have gone earlier, but looking at the status of the board at the time, I wouldn't have trusted them to select a better manager.

I would have said our relegation season was more embarrassing than Lambert tenure.

Yep, I agree with all that.
Yes agree too, the relegation season was worse and the worst players in my memory

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2586 on: May 12, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »
I never really get why Lambert should either have quit or been sacked straight after the 8-0 but virtually no one says the same about MON after losing 7-1 there a few years earlier with a much better side.
Without a doubt Lambert should have gone before he did but as shit as the Chelsea result was I can't help thinking it would have been harsh at the time to sack a manager for a 5th defeat in 15 games (those defeats were at Man C, Spurs, Chelsea and Fulham plus Manure at home) and we were through to what looked a near bye to a cup final.

And the week before we'd beaten Liverpool at Anfield playing some cracking attacking football in the process.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2587 on: May 12, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
He shouldn't have gone after the eight-nil. He should've been punted after Millwall though. That was a completely unacceptable series of results. Managers who had actually achieved something, Barton and Atkinson for instance, were sacked for less.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:39:27 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2588 on: May 12, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
No fucking way. Lambert was an awful manager. The end of his first season was the exception not the rule. Most of his reign comprised ritual humiliation and eye-bleeding bad football. A shyster of the highest order. Second only to O'Leary in my hatred stakes. Tosser.
Spot on.

I agree. Fucking hate Lambert, and Bruce isn't much better. Hopefully he'll be gone soon. The football is dreadful.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2589 on: May 12, 2017, 11:37:47 AM »

We'd won 4-1 at Norwich and 3-1 at Liverpool in the previous two games as well. It was typical of Lambert's reign, the best, most inspiring performances immediately followed by the worst, and lots more of them.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2590 on: May 12, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »

We'd won 4-1 at Norwich and 3-1 at Liverpool in the previous two games as well. It was typical of Lambert's reign, the best, most inspiring performances immediately followed by the worst, and lots more of them.

True. You just never knew what you were going to get. Kind of. Some very surprising and fully deserved away wins-Man City in the cup, and later Liverpool. Then Arsenal the following season. But then again, if we lost a game, it was highly likely we'd lose again and again in the following games.

A depressing manager. The season we had Keane beside him was....Well, we all know. Awful people, awful tactics, awful football.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2591 on: May 12, 2017, 11:52:24 AM »
What I could never understand about Lambert was that we got out of trouble in his first season by playing football. From memory the last third of the seaosn was solid mid-table form and included some really good performances such as the wins at Stoke and Norwich and the Sunderland 6-1, starring the much-criticised young and hungries. We had a platform to build on then he went backwards.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2592 on: May 12, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
He shouldn't have gone after the eight-nil. He should've been punted after Millwall though. That was a completely unacceptable series of results. Managers who had actually achieved something, Barton and Atkinson for instance, were sacked for less.

The only problem with that is that, after Millwall, we started to tick.  The next match was the Newcastle game where we lost but things just started to tick and, for me, halftime that day was the turning point of that season and from then to the Liverpool game at the start of the next year we looked a genuinely good team who should've been on course to improve, but for whatever reason Lambert fucked about with the bits that had been working well (he dropped Lowton and Sylla who had been key to our turnaround) and did nothing to strengthen the weak areas (Gabby and Weimann).

That summer he really needed to make 2-3 signings to come straight into the first 11 but instead he picked up 7 signings and only Okore was arguably an upgrade on what we had and even he was very raw.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2593 on: May 12, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
I generally liked Lambert and thought he was a good appointment, but the way he meekly accepted the conditions and uncertainty imposed by Randy was unacceptable.  A decent manager would have kicked up a stink to change it or found a new club.

Offline peter w

« Reply #2594 on: May 12, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
That was the other thing under lambert - when it looked like it was going permanently wrong we'd pick up a result here and there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal