collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113412 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2535 on: May 11, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
What is a "happy clapper"?? I'm also intrigued

I think it's one of those rattles that Leicester fans use.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2536 on: May 11, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
I wouldn't say happy clapper but you have done a good job of trying to polish a turd a few times with comments like "that depends if i think our style of play is rubbish and I don't".  I think the normal style of play has been terrible, with the odd glimpse of us stepping out from that and looking capable of being much more.  The real question for me is whether those moments are because of Bruce or in spite of him.  I'm firmly of the belief that it's the latter, you seem to lean towards the former, which is fine, but I think it's a hard sell trying to convince anyone that we weren't one of the worst teams to watch last season.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2537 on: May 11, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »

Where MON was good at was getting the players who executed the gameplan very well.
This - for me- is the key bit: when we've seen competent opponents this season it's been those which have been well -organised and do the simple things well. Our squad has failed to keep its shape at times and certainly has failed to cherish the ball and use it simply and wisely.
That's what major spending and top 6 could get you at the time.
You don't need to spend megabucks to get well-disciplined players who can do the simple things well: what you do need is a clear plan of how you want the game to be played and find the players that will fit into the style of play. Hogan is an example of a player who obviously has some talent but has not ever looked like he fits into SB's playing plan (whatever that is).

I feel right now that SB does not know what the winning strategy should be and is prepared to risk continuing with players that have demonstrated an absence of discipline in playing to the game-plan. He needs to be more ambitious and exapansive in approach, but that does not seem to be his natural suit.
Game plan? Strategy? Style of play? What is this strange sorcery you speak of?

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2538 on: May 11, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
I wouldn't say happy clapper but you have done a good job of trying to polish a turd a few times with comments like "that depends if i think our style of play is rubbish and I don't".  I think the normal style of play has been terrible, with the odd glimpse of us stepping out from that and looking capable of being much more.  The real question for me is whether those moments are because of Bruce or in spite of him.  I'm firmly of the belief that it's the latter, you seem to lean towards the former, which is fine, but I think it's a hard sell trying to convince anyone that we weren't one of the worst teams to watch last season.

I'm just stating an honest opinion at the end of the day. If i don't think our style of play is rubbish, then that's genuinely what I think. You don't agree but that's ok and I can't say I care too much.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2539 on: May 11, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »

I'm just stating an honest opinion at the end of the day. If i don't think our style of play is rubbish, then that's genuinely what I think. You don't agree but that's ok and I can't say I care too much.

No need to be so defensive, I was saying that a line like that, no matter whether it is an honest opinion (and I'm not suggesting it isn't) is one that you'll have a tough time getting many people to agree with.  I'm not being controversial there because, as I say, I doubt many people would have too many good things to say about us as an attacking force.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2540 on: May 11, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
I'd rather have Harry than Brucie.

Offline KRS

« Reply #2541 on: May 11, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »
I'd rather have someone else other than 'Arry or Brucie.

...and no, I can't think of much worse than 'Arry being manager at our club...however he is the perfect fit for the scum down the road.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #2542 on: May 11, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
I'd rather have Harry than Brucie.

Wow.  that's quite a statement.  Have you seen the wreckage he left behind in pretty much each and every manager job he has been in financially?  Surely its not just the dog that has been getting the sums wrong?

Offline peter w

« Reply #2543 on: May 11, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
Agreed. our style of play is slow, fragmented, and blinkered in its lack of adventure. To think that our 'style' of play is not rubbish is the kind of mindset that I'd like to have but will need some truly brilliant mind-bending drugs. Its awful. Our style is awful. it doesn't lend itself to good football or an overwhelming winning 'style' Horrible. I said after our winning streak that we were just as likely to lose the last 6 as win them and that was how it turned out. Horrible.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2544 on: May 11, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »

No need to be so defensive, I was saying that a line like that, no matter whether it is an honest opinion (and I'm not suggesting it isn't) is one that you'll have a tough time getting many people to agree with.  I'm not being controversial there because, as I say, I doubt many people would have too many good things to say about us as an attacking force.

But why should I worry about getting people to agree with me? They don't have to if they don't want to.

Offline peter w

« Reply #2545 on: May 11, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »
We're just worried about you. Reaching out to you. It'll be okay.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2546 on: May 11, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »
We're just worried about you. Reaching out to you. It'll be okay.

You're very kind.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2547 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »

But why should I worry about getting people to agree with me? They don't have to if they don't want to.

You shouldn't, but people will disagree and some will take that  abit too far, which closes the circle back to you being called a happy clapper (and once again I think it was unfair).

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2548 on: May 11, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
The happy clapper name calling is just something they'll learn to grow out of eventually.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2549 on: May 11, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
Agreed. our style of play is slow, fragmented, and blinkered in its lack of adventure. To think that our 'style' of play is not rubbish is the kind of mindset that I'd like to have but will need some truly brilliant mind-bending drugs. Its awful. Our style is awful. it doesn't lend itself to good football or an overwhelming winning 'style' Horrible. I said after our winning streak that we were just as likely to lose the last 6 as win them and that was how it turned out. Horrible.

I agree.  If it somehow manages to get us up I'll reluctantly stomach it for another season. Strange to think I've come away from games we've won this season more annoyed than one's we've lost in previous.

Brighton away was the only half decent football I've seen us manage this season.  Maybe there are a few more but it's not a great return over the amount of games Bruce has had with us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal