collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114531 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2520 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Any time I've seen the Baggies play under Pulis it's looked Barca-esque compared to the absolutely atrocious brand of football we've played in the last few years. And watching West Brom play is like getting eye to eye with a farting poodles asshole.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2521 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
O'Neill used pace as his weapon though, in turning the defence into attack.

It was still the same mindset though, turn over possession reasonably quickly and get the ball into the final third as quickly as possible. Not long ball all the time but Spurs came to VP and played us off the pitch a few times in that era.

It's maybe the reason why we didn't win anything in that period as we couldn't quite control games in the manner others could.

If teams parked the bus particularly at VP we had little idea what else to do other than cross the ball some more. Those home draws cost us in 08/09 and 09/10.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2522 on: May 11, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »

3. If we are promoted, do we stick with him?

I'm sure some will want to stick with him for the 'stability', giving him a season but his methods are antiquated in the Championship, imagine the horror of them in the PL.

But then Pulis has got the Baggies 8th with anti-football!

We play miles better footbal than Albion do as well. All they do is rely on set pieces to score half the time.

Your happy clapping has officially taken a new level.

Calling people 'happy clappers' because they have a different opinion to you?

But it's a bizarre one. have a go at Albion and their style of football when ours is probably even worse against weaker teams.

Well, that depends if i think our style of play is rubbish and I don't. I've been to games when we've played shit but I don't think the football has been purposely negative and people having that view are not happy clappers. That's just a lazy childish slur from people who are not mature to enough realise people have different opinions.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:14:37 PM by Clampy »

Offline The Edge

« Reply #2523 on: May 11, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
O'Neill used pace as his weapon though, in turning the defence into attack.
I think lack of pace has got to be top priority to address this summer. Pace unlocks defences at any level. Even though O'Neill turned out to be all smoke and mirrors I loved watching us break rapidly and put teams to the sword. We can't expect to win automatic promotion with flat footed players like Adomah, Bacuna, Jedinak &
Lansbury. Time for some honest truths at BH cos if we get it wrong again this season I genuinely think we can do a Leeds/Forest etc.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2524 on: May 11, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »

Where MON was good at was getting the players who executed the gameplan very well.
This - for me- is the key bit: when we've seen competent opponents this season it's been those which have been well -organised and do the simple things well. Our squad has failed to keep its shape at times and certainly has failed to cherish the ball and use it simply and wisely.
That's what major spending and top 6 could get you at the time.
You don't need to spend megabucks to get well-disciplined players who can do the simple things well: what you do need is a clear plan of how you want the game to be played and find the players that will fit into the style of play. Hogan is an example of a player who obviously has some talent but has not ever looked like he fits into SB's playing plan (whatever that is).

I feel right now that SB does not know what the winning strategy should be and is prepared to risk continuing with players that have demonstrated an absence of discipline in playing to the game-plan. He needs to be more ambitious and exapansive in approach, but that does not seem to be his natural suit.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2525 on: May 11, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »

I'm sure some will want to stick with him for the 'stability', giving him a season but his methods are antiquated in the Championship, imagine the horror of them in the PL.

We play miles better footbal than Albion do as well. All they do is rely on set pieces to score half the time.

But it's a bizarre one. have a go at Albion and their style of football when ours is probably even worse against weaker teams.

Well, that depends if i think our style of play is rubbish and I don't. I've been to games when we've played shit but I don't think the football has been purposely negative and people having that view are not happy clappers. That's just a lazy childish slur from people who are not mature to enough realise people have different opinions.
I have no problem with you or anybody else having a different opinion to mine, you do come across as a happy clapper to me though in the majority of your posts.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:33:46 PM by LukeJames »

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #2526 on: May 11, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
'Happy Clapper' used as some sort of insult against people who don't see everything as doom and gloom is pretty lame.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2527 on: May 11, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »
Why would you see it as an insult?

Offline peter w

« Reply #2528 on: May 11, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
He's a happy clapper.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2529 on: May 11, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

I have no problem with you or anybody else having a different opinion to mine, you do come across as a happy clapper to me though in the majority of your posts.

What makes me a happy clapper? Please explain, i'm genuinely intrigued.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #2530 on: May 11, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »
It comes across as dismissive and condescending. Maybe that's not how you intended it?

Anyway, sorry to go off thread. I think Bruce needs to implement a style of play. Personally I don't mind if it's hoofball, so long as it's clear that's what we're going for. No more aimless looking tactics please.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2531 on: May 11, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
Happy clapper or not happy clapper it could be worse. He could be coming on here name calling like a fucking 8 year old.

Offline peter w

« Reply #2532 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »
Well I've found this for you happy clapper wankers:

a happy clapper is seriously religious person, most often used in connection with reference to a re-born or new-born christian

So there you go.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2533 on: May 11, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
What is a "happy clapper"?? I'm also intrigued

Offline peter w

« Reply #2534 on: May 11, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
I've already told you. Clampy has found some sort of new religion. probably started by is best mate Eastie.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal