collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113210 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2505 on: May 11, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »

3. If we are promoted, do we stick with him?

I'm sure some will want to stick with him for the 'stability', giving him a season but his methods are antiquated in the Championship, imagine the horror of them in the PL.

But then Pulis has got the Baggies 8th with anti-football!

We play miles better footbal than Albion do as well. All they do is rely on set pieces to score half the time.

I wouldn't say that's so much worse than lumping it in Kodjia's direction and crossing our fingers.

Offline peter w

« Reply #2506 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »
Exactly. Their style anti-football maybe hard on the eye for those that watch them ( I have no idea) but I'm sure it's more enjoyable than the sh*te that we play.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2507 on: May 11, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
The sad fact is that Pullis is better at "anti-football" than Bruce is.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2508 on: May 11, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »

I'm sure some will want to stick with him for the 'stability', giving him a season but his methods are antiquated in the Championship, imagine the horror of them in the PL.

We play miles better footbal than Albion do as well. All they do is rely on set pieces to score half the time.

I wouldn't say that's so much worse than lumping it in Kodjia's direction and crossing our fingers.

We've got 19 goals out of him doing that if that is really what we were doing.. Besides, i wonder how many 20 goal a season strikers Pulis has had in any of his teams?

Offline peter w

« Reply #2509 on: May 11, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »
19 goals in the Championship. Non-comparable so pointless even trying to do so. You think that Kodjia's 19 goals make him better and his season better than any of Benteke's when he hit double figures?

Online Clampy

« Reply #2510 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »
19 goals in the Championship. Non-comparable so pointless even trying to do so. You think that Kodjia's 19 goals make him better and his season better than any of Benteke's when he hit double figures?

I wasn't comparing him to Benteke. I was suggesting 19 goals  is a decent return bearing in mind people think we just lump the ballb up to him.

Online Dave

« Reply #2511 on: May 11, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »

I wasn't comparing him to Benteke. I was suggesting 19 goals  is a decent return bearing in mind people think we just lump the ballb up to him.

It's a great return. Nobody said it wasn't.

Assuming West Brom have scored lots of goals from set-pieces, that's a decent return as well.

It's just a bit rich mocking a lack of tactical imagination in other teams given where nearly all our goals come from.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:45:21 AM by Dave »

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #2512 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »

Assuming West Brom have scored lots of goals from set-pieces, that's a decent return as well.

It's just a bit rich mocking a lack of tactical imagination in other teams given where nearly all our goals come from.
I'm not mocking it, I'm suggesting that a limited approach to the game isn't necessarily a recipe for relegation or yo-yo ing from the prem.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2513 on: May 11, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »

Your happy clapping has officially taken a new level.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2514 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

Calling people 'happy clappers' because they have a different opinion to you?

Online Dave

« Reply #2515 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »

I'm not mocking it, I'm suggesting that a limited approach to the game isn't necessarily a recipe for relegation or yo-yo ing from the prem.

I didn't think you were - Clampy's "all they do is rely on goals from set-pieces"is what I was referring to.

I'd be delighted if we thought about our tactics enough to consider trying to score a couple of goals from set-pieces.

Offline peter w

« Reply #2516 on: May 11, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »

Calling people 'happy clappers' because they have a different opinion to you?

But it's a bizarre one. have a go at Albion and their style of football when ours is probably even worse against weaker teams.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2517 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
I wrote something for the fanzine a few months ago about Bruce and it still holds firm. Ultimately the keep him or not question boils down to whether you think his shit football is good enough for now to get us out of the League.

But there is also the other longer term issue where, even if we are promoted, those suggesting we stick with him want him potted in the scenario where he does take us up.

So, is it promotion at all costs and bugger the method, or do we take the view we need to go up playing decent football in order to make staying up a lot easier and avoiding that upheaval further down the road?

I would punt him out because I think the latter but neither position is definitively right or wrong.

I'm firmly of the opinion if he takes up it will be a case of thanks (and a nice Brucie Bonus coming his way of course) but let's move on and waste no time.

The football would get found out even more in the prem. It's a little similar to when Watford went up. They didn't offer Jokanovic a new contract so moved him on and got in Quique and they had a very comfortable season.

We certainly need promotion next season if only so the owner stays interested. I've also found the championship pretty boring tbh probably because of how we approached this season. There were pretty much no thrilling comeback wins as we lost virtually every time we conceded the first goal and those sort of games make seasons interesting or memorable.

Premier league has plenty of faults but if you can get competitive in that league again to me it's miles better as you are competing against and beating some of the best players in europe. We need to get back there as soon as possible.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2518 on: May 11, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »
The sad fact is that Pullis is better at "anti-football" than Bruce is.

To a degree I think most managers (British) play a very similar style.

Now hear me out but I really don't think SB's football philosophy is a million miles out from MON's (or indeed  Pulis).

When O'Neill was here we would get the ball up early for Gabby to run onto and get a foul or corner. Then with Young's delivery Laursen and Carew would do the rest.

Where MON was good at was getting the players who executed the gameplan very well. That's what major spending and top 6 could get you at the time.

The higher you are it's much easier to get in the players who can fit your style.

Edit: At least under SB we've started looking dangerous again from set pieces which has been long a criticism of us on here. Gabby scored from a corner and Chester's scored a few.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:59:01 AM by SoccerHQ »

Offline peter w

« Reply #2519 on: May 11, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
O'Neill used pace as his weapon though, in turning the defence into attack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal