collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113668 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2475 on: May 10, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
Not Bruce-related, but not worth a new thread either. Your messages count...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052gtgj

Interesting from the horses mouth. I think it has been said on here that McClaren never had an interview (and equally didn't turn us down) now we know why.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2476 on: May 10, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
Bruce has averaged exactly 1.5 points per game since he took over. Who was the last manager to do that? O Neill? 46 x 1.5 = 69, still 11 points off the play offs but with everything settled down, manager, players etc do I think we could turn 3 defeats into wins and a couple of draws into wins. Yes. I honestly don't think we'll go up automatically but I think the playoffs are highly likely. If we change the manager again I think it's less likely.

1.5 points per game is decent in the top flight. We're in the second division.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2477 on: May 10, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
I think two points are worth making; 1) caution isn't universal  across all his games, the Huddersfield one you mention being a case in point. Our midfield cut them open in the first half and in a game of limited chances, we had the better. (2) I don't agree that our defeat at Huddersfield ended our Play Off hopes, that happened for me at Burton.

1. The issue there is that you can probably put together less than 3 games (270minutes) across his entire time at the club where we were playing on the front foot so whilst you're technically correct cautious, safety first football has been the default for the vast majority of the time and quite often his alternative (when we're behind and chasing a game) has been to throw 3-4 people up front and launch it long.
2. It did because it meant we had 45 points with 10 to go and 75 points wouldn't have been enough to get the playoffs.  I think I predicted, around the time, that 76-77 would be enough, which actually turned out to be wrong, largely because Fulham had a better last 10 that I'd have expected.  At the time it may have felt like we had a slim chance but that was all it was at the very most.  Burton was the moment where even the most optimistic of fans accepted that we were stuck but it was already a massive outside chance.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2478 on: May 10, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
Last season Reading finished 17th, Huddersfield 19th and Fulham 20th.
This league is not like the PL with the predictability of final placings. If we are not in the top 6 after 10 games Bruce is in trouble, however if we hit the ground running we can stay in the the top 2 or 3 all season. This division is wide open.

I didn't follow the Championship last season but would be interested to know if the teams you mentioned changed their approach this season. Not a question for you but anybody in general.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2479 on: May 10, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »
Bruce has averaged exactly 1.5 points per game since he took over. Who was the last manager to do that? O Neill? 46 x 1.5 = 69, still 11 points off the play offs but with everything settled down, manager, players etc do I think we could turn 3 defeats into wins and a couple of draws into wins. Yes. I honestly don't think we'll go up automatically but I think the playoffs are highly likely. If we change the manager again I think it's less likely.

I know what you're getting at, but in what way is that relevant to next season? We are where we are.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2480 on: May 10, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
Brighton was an example of what can happen when you show a little bit of adventure from the middle of the park. Plenty of the ball and plenty of efforts at goal. For certain reasons we've been far too cautious when didn't need to be.

It's not a head scratching mystery for the ages though.  That's Bruce, that's what he does.

The moments of open, attacking football are the exception, rather than the rule.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2481 on: May 10, 2017, 01:36:43 PM »
This league is not like the PL with the predictability of final placings. If we are not in the top 6 after 10 games Bruce is in trouble, however if we hit the ground running we can stay in the the top 2 or 3 all season. This division is wide open.

I didn't follow the Championship last season but would be interested to know if the teams you mentioned changed their approach this season. Not a question for you but anybody in general.

It beggars belief that Uddersfield have a -2 GD only scoring 56 times and still make the playoffs, that just goes to show what a mad league this is and what a few marginal gains so to speak, could make to Villa next season.

Those 3 teams have had the stability of 1 manager and no influx of half a team in January nor do they have Tommy Elphick and Leandro Bacuna.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2482 on: May 10, 2017, 01:43:11 PM »

It beggars belief that Uddersfield have a -2 GD only scoring 56 times and still make the playoffs, that just goes to show what a mad league this is and what a few marginal gains so to speak, could make to Villa next season.

Those 3 teams have had the stability of 1 manager and no influx of half a team in January nor do they have Tommy Elphick and Leandro Bacuna.

Nor a Steve Bruce :)

Offline KRS

« Reply #2483 on: May 10, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »

Interesting that they actually listened to fans feedback. Fan power. McClaren bullet dodged...but that the powers that be still managed to make the wrong managerial decisions.

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #2484 on: May 10, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

Interesting that they actually listened to fans feedback. Fan power. McClaren bullet dodged...but that the powers that be still managed to make the wrong managerial decisions.

The thing i can never understand is that they pulled the plug on McClaren based on fan recation, then appointed McLeish.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2485 on: May 10, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »

I know what you're getting at, but in what way is that relevant to next season? We are where we are.

We are where we are because we need a better manager.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2486 on: May 10, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
maybe our inferior neighbours think they have found theirs in 'appy 'arry - signed a 12 month deal, apparently.

Online VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #2487 on: May 10, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Like Ads says above.  It is not hard to correct our negativity.  We have the players to do it.  Simply imagine the pitch is the league.  You want to be in the top part?  That is represented by the opposition third of the pitch.  Get in there, play in there.  You want to be in the bottom part of the league?  Play in your own third.  We have played too deep all season.  Because we play too deep we effectively have no midfield movement or creativity and depend on long passes from the defence to mount attacks.
Spot on Brian.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2488 on: May 10, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
so for the second season running it looks like we will be starting with a worse manager than blues
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:08:31 PM by john e »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2489 on: May 10, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
He got QPR promoted in 2014. The game has moved on since then...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal