collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113818 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2460 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
The worst thing about all this is how it's made me like watching Spurs. They're a quality outfit everytime I've caught them and look like they're playing a different sport to the sides in this league. Fuckers.
And yet they were made to look like school boys by Monaco who have been  twatted  over two legs by Juve. Frightening to think how far we have fallen into the abyss😏

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #2461 on: May 10, 2017, 12:02:22 AM »
The worst thing about all this is how it's made me like watching Spurs. They're a quality outfit everytime I've caught them and look like they're playing a different sport to the sides in this league. Fuckers.
And yet they were made to look like school boys by Monaco who have been  twatted  over two legs by Juve. Frightening to think how far we have fallen into the abyss😏
And you can't have caught them playing against Wet Spam ,  they were more like us than a polished outfit- flattering to deceive .

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2462 on: May 10, 2017, 02:50:42 AM »
What should give everybody hope is how universally diabolical this league is. I started watching it on Sky in the year of the Doom, in preparation for what was to come. I thought it was poor then, but seeing it week in week out, it's mind bendingly poor.

Agreed but then we were one of the teams stinking out the place. That concerns me.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #2463 on: May 10, 2017, 05:30:11 AM »
We all have concerns about the level of coaching down at Bodymoor, but even if Bruce does take a back seat as that is not his forte, he will be the person who is telling the coaching staff what he wants done and how that needs to fit into his game plan, if he does not think retention of the ball is important, that movement off the ball is required, that to play the game in a quick and expansive way is the way to go, that he would rather have a keeper that as stated above punches not catches as long as he keeps it out, defenders that do not join in with play in the opposition half, because their only responsibility is to defend and his preferred method of getting into the opponents half is via Jack Charlton"s hoof, that's what the coaches will do, because if they do not they will be told bye bye.
I also think Kodja has been a success despite Bruce not because of Bruce, he just does things of the cuff, none of his magic has been planned or trained, in fact I would imagine he drives Bruce mad, but he was his only source of goals playing the way he wants to. Fat Mac and Hogan are players that need service and space, Kodja makes his own.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2464 on: May 10, 2017, 07:14:42 AM »
Brighton was an example of what can happen when you show a little bit of adventure from the middle of the park. Plenty of the ball and plenty of efforts at goal. For certain reasons we've been far too cautious when didn't need to be.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2465 on: May 10, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
Spot on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2466 on: May 10, 2017, 07:58:21 AM »
Sun's out, Bruce out!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2467 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »
Like Ads says above.  It is not hard to correct our negativity.  We have the players to do it.  Simply imagine the pitch is the league.  You want to be in the top part?  That is represented by the opposition third of the pitch.  Get in there, play in there.  You want to be in the bottom part of the league?  Play in your own third.  We have played too deep all season.  Because we play too deep we effectively have no midfield movement or creativity and depend on long passes from the defence to mount attacks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:33:47 AM by brian green »

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2468 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
Brighton was an example of what can happen when you show a little bit of adventure from the middle of the park. Plenty of the ball and plenty of efforts at goal. For certain reasons we've been far too cautious when didn't need to be.

Our cautious approach kicked in as soon as we scored to take a lead in most games. We just invited teams to attack us instead of playing the way we had been and pushed for more goals.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2469 on: May 10, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »

As someone who has been supportive of Bruce, do you think that he is instructing the team to be so cautious?  If so why?  If not why are players who are naturally more attacking (Hourihane and Lansbury but also Grealish when he's been central) playing so deep?

This is the nub of why I do n't think he's the right manager for us and I ask because I'd like to know how you can identify exactly the same issue but not see it as being  his fault.  I wasn't happy with it all along but if , once we were certain we were stuck in midtable, he'd tried something different I'd have been willing to admit I was wrong and the caution was just pragmatism due to the position he found us in but that we have still been making the same mistakes for the last 7-8 games doesn't support that.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2470 on: May 10, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
I think the caution is deliberate. We needed to apply the brakes when he took over to stop us. Look at how we shrank, mentally in my view, in the Wolves game second half when they applied pressure. I think the ghosts of seasons past have haunted a few performances.

That we started getting results meant the means were justified. I think if he'd had pre season instead of RDM things would have been different. I see the point made that he had x amount of games, but it ignores any sort of context. On 1st October 2016 we looked in as big a mess as at any point since 2010 and that's a significant factor that played into a safety first approach.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #2471 on: May 10, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
Not Bruce-related, but not worth a new thread either. Your messages count...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052gtgj

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2472 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
I think the caution is deliberate. We needed to apply the brakes when he took over to stop us. Look at how we shrank, mentally in my view, in the Wolves game second half when they applied pressure. I think the ghosts of seasons past have haunted a few performances.

That we started getting results meant the means were justified. I think if he'd had pre season instead of RDM things would have been different. I see the point made that he had x amount of games, but it ignores any sort of context. On 1st October 2016 we looked in as big a mess as at any point since 2010 and that's a significant factor that played into a safety first approach.

but then why were we still playing safety first after the huddersfield defeat?  By that point the playoffs had gone, relegation was pretty much out of the equation and we were on course for midtable.  We had nearly a quarter the season left with nothing to play for and yet if anything we became more negative as the weeks went on, until the final game where an injury forced him to make a change which altered the way we were playing significantly.

That was my point, I can live with pragmatism to a point but at some point it stops being that and can only be considered as negativity.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2473 on: May 10, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
I think two points are worth making; 1) caution isn't universal  across all his games, the Huddersfield one you mention being a case in point. Our midfield cut them open in the first half and in a game of limited chances, we had the better. (2) I don't agree that our defeat at Huddersfield ended our Play Off hopes, that happened for me at Burton.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2474 on: May 10, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »
Bruce has averaged exactly 1.5 points per game since he took over. Who was the last manager to do that? O Neill? 46 x 1.5 = 69, still 11 points off the play offs but with everything settled down, manager, players etc do I think we could turn 3 defeats into wins and a couple of draws into wins. Yes. I honestly don't think we'll go up automatically but I think the playoffs are highly likely. If we change the manager again I think it's less likely.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal