collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113074 times)

Online luke95

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2130 on: May 01, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
What can Eddie Howe do to at Aston Villa to enhance his career that he hasn't done at Bournemouth already.

His next step should be top 6 club & then push for England job .

Win a major trophy, qualify for Europe, qualify for the Champions League.

Which he could do with Bournemouth already established in the Premier League they have as much realistic hope to do that as we currently do .

Again, do you honestly believe that?  We have a billionaire owner who has a stated aim of being in the champions league, Bournemouth are happy staying the premier league.  Yes we're not as attractive as we were and it won't be easy to get an established manager in but we're still a massive club with a huge supporter base, a fantastic stadium and training facilities and a global reputation.  This isn't about living on past glories, it's about understanding that we cannot be a club that accepts the sort of shit we've been served in the last few years, if some of you get your way and we do that we'll just be another Leeds/Forest/etc who get stuck down here for years.
I'm accepting nothing other than I don't think Eddie Howe will leave an established premier club where he has zero pressure to go to a club that are currently in amongst the also rans of the championship.

He might leave an established club that have pretty much reached their limit to go to one where he could go much higher.  As I said earlier the risk of joining us is a red herring, a manager with the belief we need won't even consider the idea he'll fail.

PWS - the point is that you're not sure, that's why going for someone who is "too good for us" is the right approach right now.  As you say in 12 months time if we're still in this league we're fucked and will struggle to attract anyone so we need to everything we can to get the last benefit out of our size before it becomes a weight around our neck.
We'll have to agree to disagree I'm affraid.

Offline ez

« Reply #2131 on: May 01, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »

Nobody talks Villa down as much as Villa fans.
Absolutely this, Lerner did a bang on job of lowering our expectations, the acceptance of mediocrity is rife.

Not with Xia and Wyness i'm pleased to see.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2132 on: May 01, 2017, 06:41:51 PM »
We are a bigger club than Bournemouh obviously,

If we don't get out this crap division and very soon we are going to be left behind by much smaller clubs simply because of the money they are earning in the PL each year.

I think this is the point that people overlook that say give him more time.

We are drinking in the last chance saloon and the barmaid has called last orders, is it same again? or move on to where the bar is still open and a fresh opportunity waits us.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2133 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:33 PM »
Bruce was always second choice. Dyche was who we wanted. In fact I heard he accepted only to change his mind at the last minute.

I would expect us to go back in for him in the summer (not that I have any inside track). Just he could leave Burnley with head held high ("I've kept them up") based on the fact that keeping them up is the best he could ever possibly hope for there as they haven't enough money to push on further.

This is not true. Dyche was not approached by Villa. The only bit of ITK I am ever likely to be involved with!

I heard the opposite from a normally reliable source. Guess we'll never know who's source is more accurate?

Anyway, with the board I see as being conservative and old skool, I can't see them thinking radically. So a Moyes, a Dyche, a Pullis type is most likey.

We did approach Wagner which probably led to the few days Bruce had to wait before being given the job.

I'm not sure what to make of the board right now. Bruce was a Wyness appointment so I imagine he'll be reluctant to get rid. Steve Round said he wanted to identify "the Villa Way" and bring in somebody to match it. Somebody should have pointed out to him we haven't always been shit.

Steve Round is part of the current problem. Old boys network

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2134 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

If we don't get out this crap division and very soon we are going to be left behind by much smaller clubs simply because of the money they are earning in the PL each year.

We are drinking in the last chance saloon and the barmaid has called last orders, is it same again? or move on to where the bar is still open and a fresh opportunity waits us.

This is it.  There are no certainties in life, especially football but we have to be as certain as possible with the manager for next season.  It cannot be 'take a chance on him an see how it goes'.  It is so easy to say we can buy this player and that player and we will just do it.  It's a bit like saying we can promoted and then buy a new team when we get there.  People need to get real as that will not happen.  The building has to start now.  The disappointing thing about this season is that we haven't ended on an upward curve and good bets for promotion next season.

Offline levico

« Reply #2135 on: May 01, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
May be wrong but I can't help but think that 17/18 is going to be another write off season. I don't think Wyness and Xia are the tough guys some think they are. They'll stick by Bruce, support him with further funding and eventually sacking too late in the season to make any difference.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #2136 on: May 01, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
May be wrong but I can't help but think that 17/18 is going to be another write off season. I don't think Wyness and Xia are the tough guys some think they are. They'll stick by Bruce, support him with further funding and eventually sacking too late in the season to make any difference.
Wyness is unconvincing

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #2137 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
Bruce was always second choice. Dyche was who we wanted. In fact I heard he accepted only to change his mind at the last minute.

I would expect us to go back in for him in the summer (not that I have any inside track). Just he could leave Burnley with head held high ("I've kept them up") based on the fact that keeping them up is the best he could ever possibly hope for there as they haven't enough money to push on further.

This is not true. Dyche was not approached by Villa. The only bit of ITK I am ever likely to be involved with!

I heard the opposite from a normally reliable source. Guess we'll never know who's source is more accurate?

Anyway, with the board I see as being conservative and old skool, I can't see them thinking radically. So a Moyes, a Dyche, a Pullis type is most likey.

We did approach Wagner which probably led to the few days Bruce had to wait before being given the job.

I'm not sure what to make of the board right now. Bruce was a Wyness appointment so I imagine he'll be reluctant to get rid. Steve Round said he wanted to identify "the Villa Way" and bring in somebody to match it. Somebody should have pointed out to him we haven't always been shit.

Steve Round is part of the current problem. Old boys network
'The Villa Way' spunk a fortune on shit and devalue said shit quicker than the Wall Street Crash.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2138 on: May 01, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »
Excellent post OMVF.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2139 on: May 01, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »

This is it.  There are no certainties in life, especially football but we have to be as certain as possible with the manager for next season.  It cannot be 'take a chance on him an see how it goes'.  It is so easy to say we can buy this player and that player and we will just do it.  It's a bit like saying we can promoted and then buy a new team when we get there.  People need to get real as that will not happen.  The building has to start now.  The disappointing thing about this season is that we haven't ended on an upward curve and good bets for promotion next season.

I agree.

It doesn't take much to go from a brief soujourn out of the top flight experience (Newcastle) to a permanent state of zombification (Leeds, Forest).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2140 on: May 01, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
Ah well Dyche is a bit more realistic I think.

He nearly left Burnley for Sunderland in summer 2015 but Advocaat did a u turn.

I do think there's more chance of attracting him than Eddie Howe and his style would suit our squad I reckon.

I think you have to remember that Howe has spent most of his sporting life at Bournemouth so the club has a huge emotional pull for him.

We're all Villa nuts on this site but you have to remember anyone who hasn't played for us won't have the same feeling unless they supported us growing up. I'm sure Eddie Howe respects us as a club but he isn't going to suddenly quit Bournemouth if we come calling in the summer imo. Maybe if we get back and establish ourselves in the prem.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2141 on: May 01, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »

See if Huddersfield fail in the play offs and go back in for Wagner? I think he'll find it hard to turn us down a second time.

Monk getting the boot at Leeds so him? He'd done wonders there until about a month ago,when they tailed off.

Wagner would be a good choice, but I also think Karanka would be a good shout as well.   Turned Middlesbrough around pretty quickly and got them up. 

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2142 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Ah well Dyche is a bit more realistic I think.

He nearly left Burnley for Sunderland in summer 2015 but Advocaat did a u turn.

I do think there's more chance of attracting him than Eddie Howe and his style would suit our squad I reckon.

I think you have to remember that Howe has spent most of his sporting life at Bournemouth so the club has a huge emotional pull for him.

We're all Villa nuts on this site but you have to remember anyone who hasn't played for us won't have the same feeling unless they supported us growing up. I'm sure Eddie Howe respects us as a club but he isn't going to suddenly quit Bournemouth if we come calling in the summer imo. Maybe if we get back and establish ourselves in the prem.
Hows Olof getting on?

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #2143 on: May 01, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »
Judging by his postgame comments Saturday, Monk may be available too...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:42:03 PM by VancouverLion »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2144 on: May 01, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »
The success has been over a long period of time but based on the same style, a style that is now not compatible with the way football should be played today.

He won promotion from the Championship last season. Has the game really moved on that much in the last 12 months?

You missed the point, that he will not change his style, a style that is year by year becoming out dated.  As I said, his success is his weakness in that he has not developed as a manager.  12 months ago Hull scraped promotion through the play-offs and won in the final, when arguably they were not the better team. Each time he has been promoted, he has been left with a team that was ill-equipped for the PL.

And yet, having taken Hull up last year, they stand a reasonable chance of staying up despite being odds on to be relegated at the start of the year.

Criticise his style all you like, I have plenty of times this season, but there's simply no evidence whatsoever to suggest he's lost the ability to get teams promoted from this division.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal